Patterdale Terriers: Who Owns One?

These little feisty guys and gals have always piqued my interest. I thought I remembered someone here has one (or some.) What can you guys tell me about them that I can't already read online? lol

Ultimatek9. And I think Zoe has one now?

Images
    Ultimatek9's is ADORABLE. I love this things so much. I'd own one if I knew where to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Turner View Post
    Ultimatek9. And I think Zoe has one now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Blau View Post
    Ultimatek9's is ADORABLE. I love this things so much. I'd own one if I knew where to get one.
    Yep. I have a crazy, little bitch.:D
    Thanks Blau. BTW, I think Kainda's breeder had a litter last month. She is located in Clermont, Florida.

Zoe's got a Bratterdale.

Pics, we want piccies! From the little I know about Patterdales they are right up my street.

i got a old friend [marvin mcdaniel ] lives in eldorado,kansas.he has some good looking patterdales.you will have to call the operator to get his number i forgot his number. yours, hellmary

Quote Originally Posted by Blau View Post
    Floyd Boudreaux ;)

Well, I *think* I have a Patterdale! She's a rescue so not totally sure obviously. She is bigger than average weighing in at 20 pounds but she came into rescue in California and I read that they breed them somewhat bigger on the west coast of the US as they use them to hunt larger game.

She's a brat. Spends her days begging, hunting around on the floor for anything she might be able to eat and stealing bunny poo or shaking up her toys non stop and growling as loud as she can {that's the fun part! } or giving the other dogs the biz or doing zoomies and lauching off those in her way. She definitley does not have that rock solid temperament that my bull and terriers do. She's really vocal and won't hesitate to tell you if she's not comfortable with something. If I let her, she'd probably resource guard me as she's become really attatched to me for some reason and doesn't like other people handling her. :rolleyes: She has fear aggression issues with new people coming to the house. She's screams her head off if you stop walking her or if she sees animals outside. Ya... she's a real riot. :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

Here's some pictures of our little nighmare which I'm thinkin' of changing her name to.

She LOVES the treadmill, spring pole and flirt pole which is cool...

When she isn't being a total $#@!hat, she is a pretty sweet girl. :)

VERY different than owning a bull and terrier though. She's gotten away with stuff I would have put my other dogs down for. Seriously....

Sounds like you've got your hands full with that one Zoe. At least she's cute.

Quote Originally Posted by omgrobyn View Post
    Sounds like you've got your hands full with that one Zoe. At least she's cute.
    Ya.... well that's what I get for loving crazy dogs..... a houseful of crazy dogs! Don't get me wrong. 99.9% of the time, she's a hoot and a total sweetie. She definitley has some kinks we need to work out though. :eek:

For purposes solely for energy level comparison: would you describe them as JRT/PB types? lol

Now that I know about Patterdales (or the existence of at least!) I'm pretty certain someone dumped a Patterdale at Cobb County Animal Control that a friend of mine (who has since moved) adopted. This PT HATED children. When she saw one, she'd go ballistic (friend has no children and is a responsible dog owner.) This little dog was lean athletic muscle, had a docked tail, and was very energetic. She was also HIGHLY intelligent.

Cobb County had her listed as a "Min Pin" (based on her tail?) and before I had known about PTs, I said to my friend, "who would go through the time and effort to have the tail docked off their puppy unless it was a BYBer trying to sell it as a purebred MinPin as a puppy."

Well, I haven't been around any JR's really to compare energy levels but Roxy is pretty high energy. I can walk her for an hour and she'll not even seem like she went for a walk. She's a riot to walk though because she pulls like a pit bull but she's so much easier to hold on to! And man..... if you stop at a stop light or something, she SCREAMS and flails and lunges to keep going. Her energy kinda comes in fits and starts. She'll go at the spring pole full on like she's having a spring pole seizure, make a ton of noise for about 20 seconds then she'll wander off and eat gr$#@!. It's like she gets bursts of crazy.

She is a very smart girl and very submissive. She definitley seems pretty handler sensitive and kinda attatches to one person. As far as the kids, she likes them and gives them tons of kisses, likes playing fetch and tug with them but she gets uncomfortable if they try to pick her up to move her or something so she interacts with them much better with them using verbal commands. I don't think she likes to be treated like a lap dog or picked up, unless it's me doing it. She wants to be treated like a BIG DOG! lol She didn't react well to my friends kid that was visiting though. She's much more comfortable with people out and about than she is meeting them at the house but that could be a socialization issue. Once she makes friends with someone, she's fine with them after that. Well, fine in a Roxy way.

It's been really different for the kids, and I think a really good learning experience to expand their dog handling skills, as they are SO used to dogs that you can do ANYTHING with. You don't have to ''think'' when interacting with the bull and terriers as they just accept whatever you do, where with Roxy... for instance.... you can't just reach down and grab her toy without her trying to guard it but if you tell her to leave it she'll happily up it to you. Daemon said that he has gained a whole new appreciation for the bull and terriers since meeting Roxy. I think the thing with Roxy is that she is VERY vocal, where say if the bull and terriers were uncomfortable, they show it more with submissive body language, where Roxy will make a whole host of odd noises to display her displeasure. Kinda freaked me out at first but I think I'm getting used to it.

She's DEFINITLEY food and toy motivated which is good. :)

I had actually wondered if Roxy maybe had some Manchester Terrier in her as she has a hint of brown on her checks but I poked around and asked some Patterdale folk and they said that is common (called bronzing) and they definitley thought she was a Patterdale. I was thinking the same type of thing with her tail but more like ''who would pay to dock the tail of a mutt so maybe she is purebred?'' lol
    Last edited by Zoe; 12-24-2010 at 11:39 PM.

My Patterdale (like all of my other terriers) absolutely adores people. People of every age, shape and size, whether she knows them or not are subject to her pushing herself on them. If she is in a crate, she throws herself against the bars and scruffles on them like a psycho cat.
    She loves to hunt, and most anything is fair game (cats, small dogs, squirrels, rats, mice, birds, fox, opossum, raccoons, hogs, etc.). She does fine with larger dogs, as long as they don't start $#@! or act disrespectful to her.
    She is highly food motivated, loves to flirt pole and spring pole, is doing awesome in agility, and enjoys weight pull. She is crazy on the race track and after only 6 races (and winning "fastest over-all" in all of them) she is ranked #2 in UKC Terrier Racing in her division. I am hoping to send her to Premier next year. She also loves gtg.
    Patterdales are athletic, compact, sturdy, intelligent, affectionate, high drive, and trainable but sometimes stubborn. They can be very high energy, but seem to understand when they are working and how to relax at home. She is calmer in the house than my JRTs.
    My Patterdale is 12" at the shoulder and weighs about 10lbs. Here are some pictures of her.

I want a Patterdale for schutzhund sooooo badly! And maybe take it out hunting :D

17. I'd love to have one to use for hunting, weight pull, and who knows what else, but not a possibly right now, unfortunately.

OMG. I LOVE your girl UltimateK9. I wish that Roxy was as comfy with people as your girl. :(

Got any pictures of her actually striking/baying a hog?

Quote Originally Posted by ultimatek9 View Post
    My Patterdale (like all of my other terriers) absolutely adores people. People of every age, shape and size, whether she knows them or not are subject to her pushing herself on them. If she is in a crate, she throws herself against the bars and scruffles on them like a psycho cat.
    She loves to hunt, and most anything is fair game (cats, small dogs, squirrels, rats, mice, birds, fox, opossum, raccoons, hogs, etc.). She does fine with larger dogs, as long as they don't start $#@! or act disrespectful to her.
    She is highly food motivated, loves to flirt pole and spring pole, is doing awesome in agility, and enjoys weight pull. She is crazy on the race track and after only 6 races (and winning "fastest over-all" in all of them) she is ranked #2 in UKC Terrier Racing in her division. I am hoping to send her to Premier next year. She also loves gtg.
    Patterdales are athletic, compact, sturdy, intelligent, affectionate, high drive, and trainable but sometimes stubborn. They can be very high energy, but seem to understand when they are working and how to relax at home. She is calmer in the house than my JRTs.
    My Patterdale is 12" at the shoulder and weighs about 10lbs. Here are some pictures of her.