What are the short and long term effects of Coccidia??

I know someone who has a 6 wk old pup that looks more like 3 to four weeks old. They look nothing like the previous litters of pups, and a few different people think it's Coccidia. So I was just trying to research the condition but I can't find any long term effects... Does it stunt the growth process, height, weight, size, etc? I'm curious bc they are so small compared to how they should be...

i havent seen any effects of it. have had one with coccidia, and known plenty of people who had pups that got it. pretty common little virus.

Isn't coccidia a digestive issue? How would that affect the overall look of a puppy, "compared to the others" ?

Really... Well I remember a vet telling me that worms can keep a pup from reaching full potential, and was wondering if coccidia does the same. Especially with those pups looking pretty tiny, frail, weak, dehydrated and bug eyed...

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by PeytonLove View Post
    Isn't coccidia a digestive issue? How would that affect the overall look of a puppy, "compared to the others" ?
    Well maybe it's not coccidia... Could be something else? But I figuredd with the digestive parasite causing vomiting and diarrhea... Wouldn't that keep them from having proper nourishment to grow? Like under feeding or malnutrition would?
    Last edited by Tru Texan; 12-20-2010 at 05:48 PM.

Images
    I don't think that in general coccidia has any long lasting effects. I would say it is possible that the dog might not grow as well for a while if it hadn't been treated but other than that I can't see why.

Quote Originally Posted by Tru Texan View Post
    Really... Well I remember a vet telling me that worms can keep a pup from reaching full potential, and was wondering if coccidia does the same. Especially with those pups looking pretty tiny, frail, weak, dehydrated and bug eyed...

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

Well maybe it's not coccidia... Could be something else? But I figuredd with the digestive parasite causing vomiting and diarrhea... Wouldn't that keep them from having proper nourishment to grow? Like under feeding or malnutrition would?
    mine only got skinny for a bit. didnt slow her growth.

Have these people had this puppy evaluated by a vet? I don't think I'd be asking for advice via the internet on a tiny puppy who looks "pretty tiny, frail, weak, dehydrated and bug eyed..."

Well I just happened to see the pups, and was wondering about it. They aren't my pups. I'm sure I'll come across the guy again soon and then I'll see what the vet said. But this inquiring mind just wanted to know...