What does it mean when a dogs hairs around the neck stand up?

i just got my dog spayed, and today i was walking her and she saw another dog, and she is usually friendly she pulls to get close to the dog and she is ok, but today for some reason, which i never seen her do before, she sees another dog and is pulling me to try and get to the other dog but the hair around her neck were standing up. got me worried. is that a sign of aggression?

Excitement and or Stress,.. depends on the dog and the situation.

Excitement not necesarrily aggression. Just don't let him around the other dogs

Means feces about to hit the fan. Take control of the situation immediately.

hair on a dogs back can come from just about anything. excitement, stress, happy, pissed, agression, it doesnt necessarily mean the dog will get into a fight. BUT. if you dont know the other signs, then take your dog out of the situation.

6. Yeah, I'll second excitement. Avi does it when she's nervous and someone she doesn't know is outside the house/fence. She also used to do it on walks with other dogs. I was told it was a form of aggression, but she isn't completely DA. She loves most dogs, and shes not HA.

Sandi raises her hackles with other dogs or strangers approaching the property, has done since she was a pup but she has shown no aggression & once they have gettin acquainted she has been fine. I read it as a reaction to a situation she is initially unsure of with the potential for aggression but by no means certainty.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
    Sandi raises her hackles with other dogs or strangers approaching the property, has done since she was a pup but she has shown no aggression & once they have gettin acquainted she has been fine. I read it as a reaction to a situation she is initially unsure of with the potential for aggression but by no means certainty.
    You said that better than me...thats what I meant to say...:(