Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can a 10 month old Puppy still get their ears cropped?

Is it too late already?

Yes.

Images
    Generally speaking it is too late. It can be done though at any age if you find a vet willing to do it. More chance of things not turning out how you want but also on the style you want.

oh okay thank you guys

5. Is it at all possible for a dog to get its ears cropped at ten months? Yes. It it reccomended by most vets and owners? No. Will it be difficult to find a vet willing to do it? Yes. Are there any special considerations that must be taken into account with trying to get a 10 month olds ears cropped? Yes, such as longer healing time, more bleeding, and less of a chance they will stand how you want. They would also likely need ALOT of posting and or taping because at 10 months the ear is quite set how it would like to be.

Ya I know a vet who will do it at any age but the longer you wait the more stress the dog can endure during the process and healing becomes alot longer , also depending how long the crop is the harder and more work it is to get them to stand right. If waiting that long its better to go with a shorter crop if possible.

The cartilage in their ears softens up as they get older. The earlier you get their ears done, the better they will stand.

Images
    ears can be cropped at any age..
    however, if you don't go battle or short for the crop, it won't look pretty and doesn't have much of a chance to stand up..

you'll also need a vet who'll accept to crop at a later age..
    but if you can find a vet willing to crop 4 year old dogs in europe where cropping is illegal, you'll probably won't have much of a problem finding a vet that'll accept to crop at any age where it's legal lol

the healing may require more time though..

It costs more to put them under for the surgery, and you would need to have a shorter crop. Also, healing time and time you'll need to tape them to stand may be increased. If your dog's ears are already half-prick, or prick, there's a better chance of them standing, and you can crop them a bit longer. If they're rose-set, go with a shorter crop.

Yes, it can be done. As mentioned before, the dog's current earset should dictate what you do. If the dog has fully prick ears, then you can go crazy and get a long crop (think: Great Dane, Doberman...). If the ears are semi-prick (just the tips folded over), then you can go with a show crop (Am Staffs, etc). If the ears are rose, a short crop is ideal. If the ears are fully drop, then sorry, you have very little chance of them standing correctly, and you might as well not get them done!

Images
    Why crop the dogs ears if its the dog in your avatar they look great what is the reason for the cropping

Images
    Why would yu want to crop a dogs ears?

13. Why do people get piercings, tattoos or cosmetic surgery? It's purely for looks, if you like a crop, do it, if you don't, then don't. My great dane is cropped, I would never own an uncropped dane, or doberman pup. APBT I like cropped or with a nice natural ear set. I like the longer show crops, mostly because I'm used to dane ears, my boy has a 7" crop. I hate battle crops, there's a lovely rescued APBT with literally no ear left in one of my obedience cl$#@! and it makes her look like a friggen alien.

Quote Originally Posted by hogar View Post
    Why crop the dogs ears if its the dog in your avatar they look great what is the reason for the cropping
    I'm not totally anti-crop...but I would kill for the nice ear set on the dog in OP's avatar - those are great ears.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyPuppy View Post
    I'm not totally anti-crop...but I would kill for the nice ear set on the dog in OP's avatar - those are great ears.
    I agree looking at the photo the ears look great

I got my ambully kush's ears cropped at about 6 1/2 months... when he weighed 65 lbs already! They came out great, but I didn't get a long crop... I went about halfway between a battle and a short crop, just how I like em. One thing to think about though - the more your dog weighs, the more costly the procedure. More lbs = more anesthesia.

My husband and i have been talking on getting Dutchess's cropped. We never got around to getting it done when she was younger, cause we was still questioning on if we really wanted to do it or not. Dutchess's is now 11 months old. I was always told you have to do it when their younger, so tonight i finally got around to having time to do a quick search to check. Thanks for the answer. I was wondering what you guys thought on what would be best with how her ears are to get them cropped. I'm hoping to get them done show crop or possibly short.

11 months old is way past the cut off (no pun intended) age for cropping. You're unlikely to find a vet that would even touch her at that age. Best age for cropping is between 9-16wks.

19. Quote Originally Posted by kayla baxter View Post
    Why do people get piercings, tattoos or cosmetic surgery? It's purely for looks, if you like a crop, do it, if you don't, then don't. My great dane is cropped, I would never own an uncropped dane, or doberman pup. APBT I like cropped or with a nice natural ear set. I like the longer show crops, mostly because I'm used to dane ears, my boy has a 7" crop. I hate battle crops, there's a lovely rescued APBT with literally no ear left in one of my obedience cl$#@! and it makes her look like a friggen alien.
    getting piercings, tattoos, or cosmetic surgery is a personal choice I cannot force onto someone else...I have never heard a dog ask to have their ears cropped. So, I think you need to find a better example. I know countries who participate in female circumcision because they think it is more cosmetically appealing. I also don't think that is natural or necessary, and she like the dogs has no say or choice in the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by dorothynn View Post
    getting piercings, tattoos, or cosmetic surgery is a personal choice I cannot force onto someone else...I have never heard a dog ask to have their ears cropped. So, I think you need to find a better example. I know countries who participate in female circumcision because they think it is more cosmetically appealing. I also don't think that is natural or necessary, and she like the dogs has no say or choice in the matter.
    wow.. There is SO much wrong with this statement I don't even know where to begin...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast