Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 54 of 54
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Mollie's Nana View Post
    I'm going to have to agree with Budboy... it shouldn't matter to anyone what someone else feeds their dogs. Unless someone comes on the forum asking us to direct them to a better quality kibble because their dog is doing bad on what they are currently feeding, and they ask us for better quality kibble, then it's really up to the individual what they feed their dog.

    If your dogs are doing well and have no health issues on the Purina, then stick with it. Some dogs do badly on Purina or other kibbles that have a high grain/corn content, and some dogs don't do bad on high grain/corn kibble. I had a dog for 14 years that did great on Old Roy, and being switched from one brand to another and table scraps thrown in as well. I lost her 11 yrs ago at the age of 14. She never had any health issues, no skin or coat issues, nothing. She was always in great health and never got sick.... except from puking from all the table food bites the entire family had given her the weekend she learned to speak. :p

    Bottom line is, if you want a higher quality kibble, that isn't too costly, check into Kirkland's at Costco. If you want grain free, TOTW, Orijen, Merrick... we can give you a host of good quality kibbles. But if your dog doesn't have any health issues, and is doing better on Purina than it did on the TOTW, then stick with what works, even if it is a lower quality, cheaper kibble.

    And just a note to everyone else, we are living in hard economic times, and there are no guarantees in life. Any one of us could be out of a job and living on the last $20 to our names at any time. For a lot of people, it's paycheck to paycheck without making ends meet then, and losing one weeks work due to illness or whatever, could really put us in a bind. How people live, what they do with their money, and whether or not they have $$$ in the bank exclusively for pet emergencies, really isn't our business... unless they are on here asking for us to send them money to feed their dogs (which the OP is not doing). While it's nice to be concerned, raking one over the coals for not having a nice cushion of "pet money" is extremely rude and inconsiderate. ;)
    Well put Mollie!! We all want the best for our dogs, but we also have to live and pay bills. I am sure Muttkip loves his dogs just as much as the rest of us. :) Many dogs live on cheap food all their lives and have a great life!

  2. Quote Originally Posted by Budboy88 View Post
    My grandfather has 8 dogs mostly heavy Eli dogs who are fed nothing but Black Gold and i would be willing to bet BIG money that ANY of his dogs would beat any of your dogs who eat expensive food in ANY kind of athletic competition. Including conformation.
    You really want to make that bet? Cause I will take up that bet when my boy is full grown.

  3. #43
    I feed Purina Pro Plan Shredded Blend Lamb and Rice in my food rotation. It is a good food IMHO. Purina has been around a LONG LONG time to be knocking all their products. I also sometimes feed their Selects. Judge loves it and does AWESOME on it.

    I rotate it with a few other Grain Free high end foods but the Purina is still in there. I know a Top 10 Samoyed who just went to the Eukanuba Tournament of Champions and he is fed Purina pro-plan and Selects. This dog also is on a sled team and does ski-joring bikejoring etc. He looks AMAZING!

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Southern, Alabama
    Posts
    2,556
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueDog View Post
    You really want to make that bet? Cause I will take up that bet when my boy is full grown.
    absolutely

    ---------- Post added at 11:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by VonKromeHaus View Post
    I know a Top 10 Samoyed who just went to the Eukanuba Tournament of Champions and he is fed Purina pro-plan and Selects. This dog also is on a sled team and does ski-joring bikejoring etc. He looks AMAZING!
    Hes in terrible shape and is dying because his terrible owner wont buy $4 a pound food :rolleyes:

  5. #45
    I know BudBoy. lol lol His owner would laugh his $#@! off if he read that! lol The dog is also an Owner/Handler dog. lol

  6. #46
    My Dobe ate Pro Plan Performance the first 6-7 yrs of his life and his parents were fed Pro Plan. I made the mistake of listening to people on line who said I was killing him and switched to Wellness. He had dry coat, large smelly poops, major gas and eventually bloated after being on the food for 2 weeks. Online people said he was detoxing and to keep feeding it until he adjusted. Almost cost him his life.

    He was almost 7 yrs old in this picture.


    We did switch to raw b/c I think it healthier. I think there are a lot of good foods out there and have fed most all of them. I've used all Natura's Products (Evo, Innova, California Natural, Healthwise, and Karma). Earthborn Holistic, Nature's Variety, Canidae, TOTW, Orijen, Acana, Fromm 4 Star, Merrick's products, etc. I prefer to buy higher end dog foods, but I also would love to eat a Ribeye everynight, but that isn't going to happen unless I win the lotto.

    And to be honest I would prefer Pro Plan or Purina ONE over Diamond Naturals b/c I used both and seen the results. Purina WINS! They also have a great thing for people with multiple dogs for sending in weight circles and getting rewards. I used to get the $7 off each bag, buy it when it was on sale, and if you buy over 250lb at Petco you get an additional deal I think it was like 15% off. So I could feed all my dogs for less than $100 where raw is costing me around $250.

  7. #47
    It is easy to judge other people, but i think it's absurd to say to someone you should find a new home for your dog because you can't currently afford PREMIUM dog food! really? I think being rehomed after living in the same enviroment for his whole life might be a bit more disruptive/traumatic than some corn. should mothers who can't afford to feed their children all organic whole foods (like no white sugar, flour, non organic fruits and vegitables, kill all your own free range meat etc.) give their kids up for adoption? most kids survive pizza and macaroni and cheese, and while a diet more closely resembling our hunter gatherer roots might be ideal, those decisions are for each person to make themselves. My mom's dog has been eating Iams for 14 years (15 in may), When I started looking into better foods I talked her into switching him to something grain free (blue wilderness I think) he just wouldn't eat it, he has no extra weight on him and she switched him back. he is still doing great. Maybe he would have adjusted if we had switched him when he was younger, but a healthy 14 year old dog is on the right track as far as I'm concerned. If your dog is eating pizza crusts for dinner and you can't afford to treat his broken leg, it may be time to finds it a better home... not because you can't afford the food you would like to be feeding. My dog eats TOTW, because currently I can afford it. I worry more about my dog's nutrition than my own, but i would never look down on someone who didn't lay awake at night worrying about omega 3s like I do!;)

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Southern, Alabama
    Posts
    2,556
    Quote Originally Posted by leilaquinn View Post
    It is easy to judge other people, but i think it's absurd to say to someone you should find a new home for your dog because you can't currently afford PREMIUM dog food! really? I think being rehomed after living in the same enviroment for his whole life might be a bit more disruptive/traumatic than some corn. should mothers who can't afford to feed their children all organic whole foods (like no white sugar, flour, non organic fruits and vegitables, kill all your own free range meat etc.) give their kids up for adoption? most kids survive pizza and macaroni and cheese, and while a diet more closely resembling our hunter gatherer roots might be ideal, those decisions are for each person to make themselves. My mom's dog has been eating Iams for 14 years (15 in may), When I started looking into better foods I talked her into switching him to something grain free (blue wilderness I think) he just wouldn't eat it, he has no extra weight on him and she switched him back. he is still doing great. Maybe he would have adjusted if we had switched him when he was younger, but a healthy 14 year old dog is on the right track as far as I'm concerned. If your dog is eating pizza crusts for dinner and you can't afford to treat his broken leg, it may be time to finds it a better home... not because you can't afford the food you would like to be feeding. My dog eats TOTW, because currently I can afford it. I worry more about my dog's nutrition than my own, but i would never look down on someone who didn't lay awake at night worrying about omega 3s like I do!;)
    If this was Facebook i would "Like" this.

  9. #49
    Thanks!

  10. One of the most impressive pits I've ever seen was hugh red nose, rock hard and great fur. I asked his owner what he fed him and he said Purina Dog Chow and a little meat scraps. At that time I was feeding my dogs very expensive ABADY dog food. I know plenty of dogs that have lived to 12 or 13 years on Purina. Some dogs do well on Purina. I know because I've owned them.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by lkelley36 View Post
    Well put Mollie!! We all want the best for our dogs, but we also have to live and pay bills. I am sure Muttkip loves his dogs just as much as the rest of us. :) Many dogs live on cheap food all their lives and have a great life!
    I'm a girl

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    766
    Images
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Budboy88 View Post
    Again that is true. Some dogs cant handle the rich expensive foods. Ill give you a hundred dollars if you find a food my APBT/Catahoula mix thrives on better than Black Gold.

    I can attest to this!!!
    My GSD Jayda was on Nutro for a long time until Mutt recommended me some high quality foods. We tried Blue Buffalo, which gave her the runs, it was absolutely horrible. She had to be fed rice and chicken broth for like a week or two I think. Now she's on Natural Balance, which is also a high quality food [and expensive lmao], but just because a food costs a lot doesn't mean a dog's going to do well on it...

    dogs are like people, individuals. and for the record, Beau is an awesome looking for a, what, 8 year old beagle? I've seen him up close and personal, he looks healthier than my dog on $50 a bag food lol.
    Last edited by Blau; 12-10-2010 at 04:19 PM.

  13. No dog thrives on a lack of nutrients. K? Thanx bye.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttkip View Post
    Tell that to my dogs who all look HORRID on better foods, the smelled, their stool was ALWAYS soft and smelled and they shed like crazy and Moe chewed himself raw on TOTW, Natural Balance, Solid Gold, and Wellness Core. Swapped them back Purnia and they look amazing. Though the food Beau does best on is Ol' Roy.
    true that, my friends GSD was loseing weight and bad poop, bad coat bad everything, they tried BB, BB wilderness, Wellness, both core and regular, all 3 types of TotW, diamond natural...then they went back to purina 1 and vuala his coat is great, he put back on his weight, poop is fine, some dogs just do great on crap I donno why but seriously he looked bad, and the vet did not know what it was, it was just the food. That said if the dog can do well on something better I would swap it, but if not then keep them on what they dog good on, I now LOVE Diamond natural EA, but some dogs do horrid on it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Infinia by purina?
    By brindlexpitt in forum Health & Nutritional Care
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-25-2010, 02:54 PM
  2. Wysong vs Purina
    By lorler in forum Health & Nutritional Care
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-22-2009, 02:04 PM
  3. Purina supports BSL
    By bryand in forum General Dog Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-18-2009, 12:34 AM
  4. The Purina Diet
    By Vicki in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-21-2008, 03:19 PM
  5. Purina Farms, MO~APA~Nov 8-9
    By jeoestreich in forum Midwest
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-18-2008, 04:30 PM

Visitors found this page by searching for:

purina pro plan pitbull

pro plan vs purina one

is purina pro plan good

purina one vs pro plan

is purina pro plan good for pitbulls

purina pro plan vs purina one

difference between purina one and pro plan

difference between purina one and pro plan cat

difference between purina one and pro plan cat food

doberdog

purina pro plan vs purina one cat food

difference between purina one and purina pro plan

what is the difference between purina and purina one

purina one vs purina pro plan

proplan vs one

difference purina one pro plan

doberdog images

purina one versus pro plan

purina one pitbull

purina pro plan vs one

purina one for pitbulls

difference between pro plan and purina one

purina pro plan vs purina one cat

purina one vs proplan

is purina one good for pitbulls

doberdogs

purina one vs purina pro plan dog foodpurina one or purina pro plan cat foodpurina one vs pro plan catdifference between purina one and pro plan for catspro plan vs purina one cathistory and pictures about doberdogspurina one vs pro plan cat foodPurina one vs. pro planamerican bully pro plan

Bookmarks