Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Purina Pro plan Vs Purina One

Ive heard purina to be a bad food. I've also heard these two are the upgraded purina? I just need you guys opinion before I switch to more affordable dog food. thank you

I wouldn't buy ANY food that is sold in a grocery store. Most of the Purina brands and others are high in corn and other grains which most dogs don't do well on (allergies, etc).

The best thing you can do for your dog is buy the best food you can afford. After coming here, reading some of the posts and checking out some of the dog food analysis websites I've been feeding my guys Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream. They do great on the salmon protein, it's about $1/lb and they eat less of it than they would a grain based brand of food.

If you want a cheap food, check out Diamond Naturals. It's waaaaay better than Purina.

I wouldn't feed Purina to my cat. And I $#@!ing hate that cat.

Anything made by Purina is crap. Like mentioned before a cheap but decent food is Diamond Naturals. Kirkland is another cheap but decent food however it is only sold at Costco.

I feed Purina One with no problems. It all depends on the dog, some dogs do better on better foods, some do better on cheap foods.

I've NEVER had an issue feeding a Purina brand dogfood, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttkip View Post
    some dogs do better on better foods, some do better on cheap foods.
    This is not true for any animal.

Quote Originally Posted by PitsR#1 View Post
    so some dont eat at all??? :D

Actually it is.

The dog man I'm acquainted with feeds his APBT and his wife's daughters little terrier thing some crappy food, but only because they do really great on it. They tried grain free and all that jazz, and the dogs had horrible squirts even after 4 months on it, and shed constantly, had dull fur etc.. They went back to the old cheap food, and they have small firm stools, and shiny coats.

Ethel's breeder fed her dogs Purina I believe, and they all looked great, and had the softest fur, and I had the pleasure (sarcasm) of seeing a couple of them take a dump (they must have been excited that I was there), and voila! Solid, small (for a Saint Bernard that is) stool.

Believe me, if my dogs did good on a cheap food, that's what I'd be feeding. Alas, such is not the case.

Some dogs have the luck of no food allergies. God I hope I get one of those one day.

Tell that to my dogs who all look HORRID on better foods, the smelled, their stool was ALWAYS soft and smelled and they shed like crazy and Moe chewed himself raw on TOTW, Natural Balance, Solid Gold, and Wellness Core. Swapped them back Purnia and they look amazing. Though the food Beau does best on is Ol' Roy.

I fed Pro Plan for years before they changed the formula and messed it up. Never had an issue with it.

Pro Plan Performance or Pro Plan Sensitive (salmon) are the 2 they didn't change formulas on, still work very well. I don't care for the ingredients or how the price has increased, but I've never had a dog have issue with PP performance and most if not all, did better on that food than higher quality and even grain free foods.

Images
    I agree with the "some dogs do better on cheaper food" i USED to feed Purina Pro plan...sensitive for the dobies and shredded chicken to Camo...but i had to feed them SOOOO much to keep them looking good! Camo does her best on Ol'Roy....i have tried Diamond and blue buffalo...bil jac...just about everything and she really does do better on the cheap stuff. She fills out and gets really stocky on the complete nutrition ol roy. Now believe it or not, due to economy and how well they all did on cheap food i have found something cheaper...its call Old Yeller! I get it from Kroger 50lbs for $14!!! And all my dogs look great!

Yes it really is. Some dogs cant handle the higher end foods. I have an APBT/Catahoula that can not eat any high price foods without getting the $#@!s but you give him Black Gold in the black bag and he looks, acts, and $#@!s like a million bucks. Until you have met every dog in the world you shouldnt say whats true about ANY animal.

I think that even if a dog does "okay" on cheap food, it's still not good for them.

People can survive off of eating nothing but fast food, and feel "okay", but it's not really good for us.

This website Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble is a good "starting" place to figure out what you want and what you can afford. I did lots of research and decided I would not feed any good that has grain in it - which is 99.9% of all dog foods at stores like Walmart and etc.

The issue with store brands is that they're most filler crap with lots and lots of cheap grains. Grain is not a natural food for dogs and their bodies actually can't digest it very well. Some dogs can't digest it at all and even some are down right allergic to it. Another issue is that many of the store brands make so much damn money that they often cut corners. There's been tons of recalls on average store band dog food and even some of them have had dangerous ingredients that have killed animals.

That isn't to say it wouldn't happen with a grain free dog food, but, I guess my logic is that if a company is going through enough trouble to make sure their food is fresh, and makes biological sense for the dog, that they're probably less likely to cut corners, add filler junk, and dangerous ingredients. Some companies just have higher ethics.

For food, I'm very happy with Taste of the Wild and I don't find it so outrageously priced. About $42 for a 30lbs bag that last a good month or so. $42 a month to feed your dog isn't a bad deal at all.

Some of the ingredients in dog foods like Ol Roy and whatnot just...absolutely disgust me. Why on earth would you want to put stuff like "animal plasma" or "animal digest" into you dog? Do you have any idea what conditions chickens, cows, pigs, etc are all kept under? Do you know what they are eating? It's horrific really. And the nastiness that these farm animals are eating, are now inside your dog. Who knows what they could do to their systems, you could be putting posion into your dog for all you know. Why would someone be willing to take that risk? I'll never really understand.

I'd rather feed my dogs something with corn, wheat, soy and "poultry by products" than something than contains the word "animal" in it like "animal digest" or ew..."animal plasma"? EW.

Quote Originally Posted by PeytonLove View Post
    Some of the ingredients in dog foods like Ol Roy and whatnot just...absolutely disgust me. Why on earth would you want to put stuff like "animal plasma" or "animal digest" into you dog? Do you have any idea what conditions chickens, cows, pigs, etc are all kept under? Do you know what they are eating? It's horrific really. And the nastiness that these farm animals are eating, are now inside your dog. Who knows what they could do to their systems, you could be putting posion into your dog for all you know. Why would someone be willing to take that risk? I'll never really understand.

I'd rather feed my dogs something with corn, wheat, soy and "poultry by products" than something than contains the word "animal" in it like "animal digest" or ew..."animal plasma"? EW.
    You do realize that dogs eat and hunt in the wild, right? I mean, they eat the whole animal carc$#@!, including their blood, which contains plasma. I don't know what animal "digest" is, but I know plasma is found in blood. Things like that may sound gross to us, because our natural instinct is to not eat raw food, but for wild dogs/animals/wolves, etc, it is completely natural. Wild animals also have/tend to eat whatever was in the stomach of the animal they just killed, depending on if anything good was in here (gr$#@!, fruits, etc). That may be "animal digest".

Also, here is the ingredients list for Taste of the Wild High Prairie:

Bison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, roasted bison, roasted venison, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

No animal digest or plasma. So there are foods that don't have those "gross" ingredients and also do not have any grains in them.

Also, not all farms are factory farms and treat their animals like $#@!. Some are, yes, but others aren't. Is there a way to know? Unless you buy directly from somebodies farm, probably not (although some butchers/stores give a "guarantee", but who knows if that's legit) Am I going to stop eating meat because I know that maybe the meat is from a factory farm? Not likely, and I wouldn't not feed it to my dog, either.

(my previous post was directed towards those feeding things like Old Roy etc. I'm QUITE aware there are dog foods out there that don't contain cheap ingredients. I feed my dog TOTW. I know the difference between dog food qualities)
    and I'm also pretty aware that is what dogs eat in the wild. However, most wild animals are not being forced to eat things they shouldn't, they eat what is natural to them therefore probably not causing an issue for said wolf when it eats the animals organs.

and I'm almost positive that places that manufacture cheap, grocery store dog food aren't getting their animal products from a farm that cares for the animals. They are doing everything as cheap as possible, and that's how they sell the product for that cheap. It's impossible for them to have quality ingredients and sell a 40lb bag for $10. And places that sell animal prodcuts cheaply to factories, can't afford to feed their animals quality feed so they do it the cheaper route as well.

Not that I'm a huge animal activist or anything and yeah, I eat meat, but I think one can guess pretty much what goes into an animal's stomach in a cheaply maintanced farm.
    Last edited by PeytonLove; 12-09-2010 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeytonLove View Post
    (my previous post was directed towards those feeding things like Old Roy etc. I'm QUITE aware there are dog foods out there that don't contain cheap ingredients. I feed my dog TOTW. I know the difference between dog food qualities)
    and I'm also pretty aware that is what dogs eat in the wild. However, most wild animals are not being forced to eat things they shouldn't, they eat what is natural to them therefore probably not causing an issue for said wolf when it eats the animals organs.

and I'm almost positive that places that manufacture cheap, grocery store dog food aren't getting their animal products from a farm that cares for the animals. They are doing everything as cheap as possible, and that's how they sell the product for that cheap. It's impossible for them to have quality ingredients and sell a 40lb bag for $10. And places that sell animal prodcuts cheaply to factories, can't afford to feed their animals quality feed so they do it the cheaper route as well.

Not that I'm a huge animal activist or anything and yeah, I eat meat, but I think one can guess pretty much what goes into an animal's stomach in a cheaply maintanced farm.
    I'm sorry, I guess from your post it sounded like you didn't know that foods like TOTW don't fed the ingredients you listed, since you stated, "I'd rather feed my dog grains then that".

I was just saying that as far as grocery store brands go, pretty much. No worries. My dog eats better than I do. lol.

Purina has plenty of cheap ingredients, they regularly use crap like unspecified animal digest.

I'd stay far far away from anything Purina.

Diamond Naturals or Kirkland Signature is cheaper anyway. TOTW is a lower cost grain free if you don't mind feeding Diamond. :)

Many many people who feed prey model raw find it much much cheaper than kibble in both up front cost and saving on vet bills. May be worth looking into. ;)

It is true that some dogs do better on cheap food.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast