What bones are safe for dogs

Going to my local butchEr this weekend I've given Titan cow knuckles before was curious to what else is safe to give him? Not sure what to even ask for! What meaty bones do you give your dog and the usual price?

Pretty much anything is fine. Are you wanting chewing/recreational bones, or edible bones?

Beef soup bones (parts of the leg/joint) and beef ribs bones are more recreational.

Some dogs can consume beef neck bones, but they are hard and wear the teeth and the risk of breaking a tooth is higher.

For edible bones:

all turkey, duck, chicken can be fed-necks/backs/wings/etc

Pork/lamb/goat necks, ribs, breast bone.

As for price. I pay 59cent/lb for chicken quarters, 58cent/lb whole turkey, 79 cent/lb pork necks. Those are the main RMBs I feed my dogs b/c the other are too expensive for the amount of dogs I'm feeding.

3. I feed raw bones and all, the only thing I do not feed is pork, but raw bones are fine for dogs, just make sure not to cook them in any way.

I just want something for him to chew on really, I keep seeing post on how some bones aren't safe and can break teeth I didn't want to risk it without posting!

5. when ever I give my sandy a bone she ends up getting the runs so I kind of stopped bones until she is on a proper raw diet. i froze bones for 3 weeks sometimes yet it still comes out runny. so I'm putting it on hold for now.

Quote Originally Posted by gritter99 View Post
    I just want something for him to chew on really, I keep seeing post on how some bones aren't safe and can break teeth I didn't want to risk it without posting!
    The only bones that aren't safe are cooked or smoked bones. And bones, like femurs, tend to be more tough and have a higher risk of breaking teeth, because they're weight-bearing bones. Otherwise you should be okay. Just never feed anything cooked.

Quote Originally Posted by bearxfoo View Post
    The only bones that aren't safe are cooked or smoked bones. And bones, like femurs, tend to be more tough and have a higher risk of breaking teeth, because they're weight-bearing bones. Otherwise you should be okay. Just never feed anything cooked.
    *grabs smoked bone from petsmart from floor* lol

8. Those'll stain your floors and $#@!, anyway. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Gatorpit View Post
    Those'll stain your floors and $#@!, anyway. lol
    I know gahhhhh sucks

I've always just gone to the butcher and asked for bones from them. I get soup bones because it keeps my idiots busy. Just a recreational chewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany3483 View Post
    Pretty much anything is fine. Are you wanting chewing/recreational bones, or edible bones?

Beef soup bones (parts of the leg/joint) and beef ribs bones are more recreational.

Some dogs can consume beef neck bones, but they are hard and wear the teeth and the risk of breaking a tooth is higher.

For edible bones:

all turkey, duck, chicken can be fed-necks/backs/wings/etc

Pork/lamb/goat necks, ribs, breast bone.

As for price. I pay 59cent/lb for chicken quarters, 58cent/lb whole turkey, 79 cent/lb pork necks. Those are the main RMBs I feed my dogs b/c the other are too expensive for the amount of dogs I'm feeding.
    Great post.

I've stopped giving Lily recreational aka "wreck" bones because she seems to think they should be fully edible. :rolleyes:

Rhys seems to like chewing up his toys, lol. Otherwise, Antlers have been good for us when they hold his interest.

Quote Originally Posted by gritter99 View Post
    Going to my local butchEr this weekend I've given Titan cow knuckles before was curious to what else is safe to give him? Not sure what to even ask for! What meaty bones do you give your dog and the usual price?
    I'm guessing what you call a cow knuckle is the same as our cannon bones, the stereotypical cartoon cave man weapon. These are what I give Sandi but have started rationing them to every second or third day. She was recently a bit bound after gnawing on one for a couple of days. Takes her about 4 days to eat one just leaving a 2in bone ring. :eek: They cost me 99c NZ for 3 or 4.
    I also give her chicken necks & the odd raw chook carc$#@!. A well intentioned neighbour threw her a cooked pork shoulder bone & it went down like a pretzel before I could get to her. No ill effects though.
    I would suggest sticking to large, raw bones or gristly cartilaginous bits. It would have to be a pretty dumb or hungry dog to break a tooth on a fresh bone.

Best "bone" I EVER bought for my pits were deer antlers, they dont stink, splinter or stain, They are AMAZING and last for a good while. Plus the dogs wont put them down. i bought one large one and one medium one and they lasted about 2 months. Theyre ALL natural, and actually supply some important minerals. Also, Bully sticks are awesome, but i dont like them cuz they smell, plus my husband cant get over what theyre made of. but theyre very healthy.

Check out PetExpertise.com or Bestbullysticks.com