Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Good, affordable dog food

What are your sugguestions?
    I currently feed my 4 dogs blue buffalo but its really hurting my pockets. What else can I feed my dogs? I hear Chicken soup for the soul dog food is good? Or Nutro? Something that is reasonabily priced

thanks

If your dog's aren't sensitive to grains, Nutro is an ok food to feed. Obviously, the lower the price, the lower the quality (for the most part). I'd recommend Nutro Ultra Holistic skin & coat formula.

If there's a Tractor Supply Company near you, 4health is a pretty decent kibble. It's like $32 for 35 pounds or something like that, I got the performance formula, but I did notice the other formulas were cheaper.

I would recommend Diamond Natural if your looking for something cheaper, you might actually save money on taste of the wild but I am not great at math so do not want to attempt to calculate it. You can get Diamond natural at tractor supply (as well as 4health, and taste of the wild), but I have also found diamond natural at Menards, and a place called rural king (don't know how far that store is spread)

When I was hurting for money, I fed Canidae. Its on the better quality without shelling out the money

I go with Canidae too.

Pinkie is doing great on 4Health, I switched her from the large breed to the chicken and rice formula.

For the price, Chicken Soup is a good food. It's $35 for 35lbs. here, so not bad at all. I feed it to my foster puppies since they're only here a short time.

I agree with Diamond Naturals. Also, if you have a costco nearby, you could also go with the Kirklands, price per pound, Kirklands is all around the best when it comes to price and quality (it isn't the BEST food out there, but for the price, it is awesome, and it is considered the same quality as Blue Buffalo) My dogs actually do much better on the Kirklands than they did on the Blue Buffalo

Diamond Natural or Kirkland Signature seem to be about the best price for halfway decent quality out there.

Images
    Check with Tractor Supply and see what they have on Taste of The Wild... if not that, Kirklands is a good alternative. :)

Quote Originally Posted by monkeys23 View Post
    Diamond Natural or Kirkland Signature seem to be about the best price for halfway decent quality out there.
    I noticed when I was in Costco this weekend that they are now carrying Nature's Domain Salmon and Sweet Potato kibble. Has anyone tried this? In looking a the label and doing a bit of online searching it appears to be a pretty good food for the price (35lbs for $30)

Nature's Domain Pet Food | About Nature's Domain

13. I've heard the Diamond Naturals is good; but the regular Diamond (Adult Premium Performance) has been doing fine for me for years (about $30 for 50 pounds at Ace Hardware). I DO also supplement a few times a week with canned mackeral, good canned food and any table scraps I might have and they get chicken quarters maybe once a week.

Carla

Quote Originally Posted by Elliehanna View Post
    I would recommend Diamond Natural if your looking for something cheaper, you might actually save money on taste of the wild but I am not great at math so do not want to attempt to calculate it. You can get Diamond natural at tractor supply (as well as 4health, and taste of the wild), but I have also found diamond natural at Menards, and a place called rural king (don't know how far that store is spread)
    Agree'd. I feed both mine Diamond Naturals Extreme Athletic, $35 for 40lbs. Star wise its a 3 star food, its not the best, not the worst. I used to feed Taste Of The Wild, good food as well however $20 more expensive here. for 10lbs less.

I feed 4 dogs Kirkland adult and puppy mixed together 40 dollars gets me 60 pounds of kibble. Lasts about a month for 4 pooches and the ingredients are pretty damn good!

16. Try Amazon Subscribe and Save. I used it for buying cases of cat food for years. You ge ta discount when you subscribe, and you can always delay your next shipment. Now that we have the dog, I just ordered some cans of Newman's Own for him too.

I feed Canidae and order from petfooddirect. If you wait for a sale and sign up for automatic shipping, a 45 lb bag will cost < $45. It's great food.

Images
    have you considered making your own? or going raw?

Quote Originally Posted by dalvers63 View Post
    I noticed when I was in Costco this weekend that they are now carrying Nature's Domain Salmon and Sweet Potato kibble. Has anyone tried this? In looking a the label and doing a bit of online searching it appears to be a pretty good food for the price (35lbs for $30)

Nature's Domain Pet Food | About Nature's Domain

If you are asking about the quality, its not that bad - but its not good either. Too much potatoes in the first ingredients:

Salmon meal, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, potato protein, potato fiber, natural flavor, flaxseed, ocean fish meal,

Where Canidae (all life stages) for the same price will give you these ingredients:

Chicken meal, turkey meal, lamb meal, brown rice, white rice, rice bran, peas, potatoes, oatmeal,

Thats a HUGE difference in quality.

Images
    alot of "meal" and grains right there not quailty if you ask me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast