Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anal glands

Anal glands

3-4 wks ago Marco had them squeezed because he was showing signs. Well is certainly needed to be done but now he's back at rubbin on the ground and licking that area.

The only info I can find to prevent it is a higher fiber diet to make the stool bigger and hopefully squeeze the glands as it p$#@!. Any other ideas? We feed Innova, any ideas on what to add?

Some dogs are just more prone to anal gland issues than others. Upping the fiber, such as adding some mashed pumpkin (non-$#@!ed), can help, but he may just be one of those dogs that needs them expressed every so often.

I've also noticed that if they get raw bones (edible kinds, like chicken wings, ribs, etc. etc.) it causes the stool to be firmer and helps with the anal glands.

I give Lily carrots. Occasionally she needs them done when I'm lax with the fiber, but it's quick and she's good for it so I don't mind.
    Like 4paws said, some dogs are just more prone to anal issues. Liberty is 9 years old and has never had to have her anals done.

Poor guy. You can express his anal glands yourself as well...

It is really easy to express them, and I recommend learning how because if your kid ends up being one who needs it regularly, you can spend a mint at the vet's office! My husband absolutely hates it but our border collie is one who has to get it done all the time. Guess who gets THAT lovely job?

If you do learn to express them yourself (which is handy to know, especially if your dog needs it regularly), have someone qualified actually SHOW you how to do it on YOUR dog.
    And, in case they don't mention it, gloves, eye protection, an easily hosed off smock, stock in paper towels, and an outdoor place to do this is essential!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4PawsK9Svcs View Post
    If you do learn to express them yourself (which is handy to know, especially if your dog needs it regularly), have someone qualified actually SHOW you how to do it on YOUR dog.
    And, in case they don't mention it, gloves, eye protection, an easily hosed off smock, stock in paper towels, and an outdoor place to do this is essential!!
    Or just easy accessibility to a shower, for you and the dog . I've gotten it in my mouth, my eyes, my hair, my clothes, anywhere and everywhere (both at work and at home). It is MUCH MUCH easier to do when someone is holding the dog for you, because when you're doing it by yourself, you don't have your other hand to guard you from the spray.

Good point, another set of hands is a MUST, unless your dog is one that just doesn't care about you putting your finger in his butt and squeezing!!

See, Lily actually doesn't care, and will just stand there, but the fact that I have to be perpendicular to her to hold her (any dog is naturally going to want to move forward away from the butt poking) makes it so that I lack a guard hand.
    She's so weird. I've never seen a dog just take it before .

I'm really trying to stray away from doing it myself lol I know some dog's need it more than others but I didn't think once a month was going to happen.

Images
    We had a dog that would leak the fluid and make the whole house reek of fish, yes fish, it was quite gross. Here's an article worth a read (by a vet who compiled the info).

Anal Sac Disease in the Dog ~ Pawprints and Purrs, Inc.

Rhys' used to get bad and I'd have to have them expressed. Is his stool soft? Rhys' would get bad because of his food. It was very good food, but he just had loose stools from it. Switched foods now and he has small, very firm stools and no anal issues anymore.

The only symptom Cassius has of this is an insane love for licking his bum. If its just the one symptom does it still mean they need to be done? I dont see any way for me to be able to do it other than paying the vet to knock him out and do it. Oh lord

Here is a good video on how to express anal glands yourself:

Quote Originally Posted by RoseandCassius View Post
    The only symptom Cassius has of this is an insane love for licking his bum. If its just the one symptom does it still mean they need to be done? I dont see any way for me to be able to do it other than paying the vet to knock him out and do it. Oh lord
    It could. They dont have to put them under! Our vet techs do it and I think it was like $15 but I just dont want it to keep happening lol.

He is on Innova, has been for probably 8mths and last month is the first time this happened. His stools are usually pretty solid.

Images
    i took my pup to the vet today. i told them about her excessively licking her behind. doc said,o she's just expressing her anal glands. and left it at that. now i want to get advice from you guys.
    is this something i should do for her,or just let her lick away.

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

her stool is solid btw

Quote Originally Posted by LilianaLove View Post
    Or just easy accessibility to a shower, for you and the dog . I've gotten it in my mouth, my eyes, my hair, my clothes, anywhere and everywhere (both at work and at home). It is MUCH MUCH easier to do when someone is holding the dog for you, because when you're doing it by yourself, you don't have your other hand to guard you from the spray.
    You win the grossest post award!!!

Quote Originally Posted by omgrobyn View Post
    You win the grossest post award!!!
    Yippee! :D
    That is what I do for minimum wage. :rolleyes:

Quote Originally Posted by p4eAaLcLe View Post
    It could. They dont have to put them under! Our vet techs do it and I think it was like $15 but I just dont want it to keep happening lol.

He is on Innova, has been for probably 8mths and last month is the first time this happened. His stools are usually pretty solid.

Cassius is the most bouncy, excitable, hyper dog you have ever met. They cant even give him vaccinations without putting him under lol so i imagine playing with his bum would be worse! Oh im getting all nervous just typing about it lol :D

C$#@! has solid poos though, is this a good sign?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast