Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42
  1. #1

    Red face signs that shes going into heat??

    What are the signs that she's going inot heat? I heard that they get really hard headed and bitchy and eagles been acting that way. Do they get bloated like we do cuz she looks fat lol. And how long does it last? And how soon after can I sey her appointment to get her spayed? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Every dog is different on their heat cycles, which is why breeding can be pretty tricky especially AI. You can have her spayed while she is in heat, sometimes vets charge a little more because it is a somewhat more difficult proceedure (the tissues are engorged and want to bleed more) so you'd have to check on that. Usually a week or two after she has stopped bleeding you should be fine for a "normal" spay. Are you sure she's not pregnant? They can also spay if pregnant (especially for an unwanted PG sometimes the most humane thing is to never bring the pups into the world in the first place). Personally, I'd just take her to the vet now and have the surgery done.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    956
    Her v-jay-jay will get all swollen and kinda start to change positions...a little while later she will start ot bleed...all together it last about 3 weeks

  4. #4
    Is there a medical reason you are waiting to spay until after the first heat?

    If not it'd be much easier on the both of you to just get her fixed before or during the first heat.

    Is there any way she could have come into contact with a male without you knowing she was in heat?

    I've also heard that some bitches can go into a false pregnancy with the onset of their first heat.

  5. #5
    No there's no way shed be pregnant. This is her first heat she's going into. And I've had everyone tell me to wait until after the 1st heat to have her done. I know her peach is a lil more swollen than usual. But that's about it beside the moodiness. And the getting fat part maybe that's just me lol.

  6. #6
    oh great, now I will never look at an actual PEACH the same way! thanks lol

    We are waiting for Cricket to go through her first cycle as well. Her vulva is tucked too far up for her own good and the vet wants to wait to spay her. I find myself watching her very closely now for signs that she will be coming into heat. She is 8mo old. I am praying she does not go into heat while I am out of town. I have been schooling my husband and kids on the do's and don't's of what to do if/when she comes into heat and I am gone.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by AmberL View Post
    oh great, now I will never look at an actual PEACH the same way! thanks lol

    Her vulva is tucked too far up for her own good and the vet wants to wait to spay her.
    Me too!

    The above is what I meant by medical reason to wait. :)

    Having read all the various sides of the do or don't argument, I'd personally spay a bitch that wasn't a breeding prospect before the first heat, excepting medical reasons of course. But to each their own! As long as there is no chance she'll meet a boy its all good. :cool:

  8. #8
    I'm not sure what you mean by waiting to spay her because her vulva is tucked up. Yes, they swell when they're in heat but what you're talking about is a conformation thing and shouldn't change whether you spay her now or after a heat cycle. I have never heard or seen an example of this before?

  9. #9
    You know those little stress aliens?? the red eyes are tucked into the body, well her vulva is so tucked up that when she pees she gets urine pooled up underneath and it gets crusty and stinky. My vet is concerned that she will be plagued with UTI's and/or bladder infections due to her not being able to keep the area clean. When they go into heat sometimes the vulva will come down a bit and stay down. My friends beagle had the same issue and her vulva remained exposed after her heat cycle. It can be pretty common.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    the Nations Capital
    Posts
    506
    Images
    13
    side note guys .
    so i dont have to deal with my dog period..we have a low cost spay center around here,do you think there are bigger health risks if i have them spay her opposed to going to our vet
    i dont fully trust they will do it right,just wld like some second opinions

  11. #11
    well, there are dogs spayed daily at the local spay/neuter clinics and they come out just fine, however, I have had 2 people I know lose their pit bull/bully breeds under anesthesia. I switched to probably THE BEST vet (expensive unfortunately) in our area because they are up to date on the latest and greatest medical research and anesthetic procedures. I KNOW Cricket will be in good hands and monitored the entire time. I am a bit paranoid about losing a dog. Our other girl has been under many times and it has severely messed with her mind.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    the Nations Capital
    Posts
    506
    Images
    13
    woow..ok.thx for that

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by AmberL View Post
    You know those little stress aliens?? the red eyes are tucked into the body, well her vulva is so tucked up that when she pees she gets urine pooled up underneath and it gets crusty and stinky. My vet is concerned that she will be plagued with UTI's and/or bladder infections due to her not being able to keep the area clean. When they go into heat sometimes the vulva will come down a bit and stay down. My friends beagle had the same issue and her vulva remained exposed after her heat cycle. It can be pretty common.
    I know the problem you are referring to, I just have never seen it linked to spaying. Urine pooling is a big problem to over come with breeding (I do a fair amount of work and research with our theriogenology department) so I am pretty sure letting them go through a heat cycle won't have anything to do with it. I'm not saying you're wrong, just saying I'd never heard of/seen a link between the two.

  14. #14
    I didn't make the decision, the vet did..... If it were up to me and there weren't any health risks I would spay her.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Chesapeake, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    11,012
    Quote Originally Posted by Zion View Post
    side note guys .
    so i dont have to deal with my dog period..we have a low cost spay center around here,do you think there are bigger health risks if i have them spay her opposed to going to our vet
    i dont fully trust they will do it right,just wld like some second opinions
    I've taken all of my dogs (and fosters) to one of my local low cost clinics to be spayed/neutered. It's $65, as compared to the $250+ at my regular vet. They take great care of them and I will continue to use them for all of my fosters/future dogs. I honestly don't take my dogs to my regular vet anymore unless they're sick.. just not worth paying $50 for an "exam" (which consists of a 2min. listen to their heart, look at their ears/eyes) + vaccines, etc., so I go to low cost vaccine clinics as well.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    the Nations Capital
    Posts
    506
    Images
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by kady05 View Post
    I've taken all of my dogs (and fosters) to one of my local low cost clinics to be spayed/neutered. It's $65, as compared to the $250+ at my regular vet. They take great care of them and I will continue to use them for all of my fosters/future dogs. I honestly don't take my dogs to my regular vet anymore unless they're sick.. just not worth paying $50 for an "exam" (which consists of a 2min. listen to their heart, look at their ears/eyes) + vaccines, etc., so I go to low cost vaccine clinics as well.

    yea exam fees are crazy..i just might give them a chance.i had them do her vaccinations and saw a bunch of young people as nurses ..made me super nervous. I'll ask questions though. a lot of questions.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Chesapeake, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    11,012
    Quote Originally Posted by Zion View Post
    yea exam fees are crazy..i just might give them a chance.i had them do her vaccinations and saw a bunch of young people as nurses ..made me super nervous. I'll ask questions though. a lot of questions.
    Well the nurses/techs don't do the surgeries ;) But questions are never a bad thing.
    Last edited by kady05; 10-27-2010 at 07:44 PM.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    the Nations Capital
    Posts
    506
    Images
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by kady05 View Post
    Well the nurses don't do the surgeries ;) But questions are never a bad thing.

    o true.im just really uptight about who handles her.she's a wild puppy,so she will probably give them hell b4 she's sedated. We are hardly ever away from each other..aww let me stop boo whooing.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Zion View Post
    o true.im just really uptight about who handles her.she's a wild puppy,so she will probably give them hell b4 she's sedated. We are hardly ever away from each other..aww let me stop boo whooing.

    Most vet techs really know what they are doing when it comes to handling dogs. And it truly depends on where you go as far as whether a low cost spay/neuter will be "as good" as a GP vet.

    Zion, I think it is great you're going to ask lots of questions. What kinds did you have in mind? If you want some help putting together a list, I'd be happy to help. Some owners ask all kinds of questions but not the right ones. I know you want to be a vet tech, so if you think you know what you want to ask, NP just here to help if you want it!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    the Nations Capital
    Posts
    506
    Images
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by tealamutt View Post
    Most vet techs really know what they are doing when it comes to handling dogs. And it truly depends on where you go as far as whether a low cost spay/neuter will be "as good" as a GP vet.

    Zion, I think it is great you're going to ask lots of questions. What kinds did you have in mind? If you want some help putting together a list, I'd be happy to help. Some owners ask all kinds of questions but not the right ones. I know you want to be a vet tech, so if you think you know what you want to ask, NP just here to help if you want it!

    A list wld be great..this is what im thinking
    1.what steps should I take prior to the spay?
    2.how is the procedure done?
    3.is the amount of anesthesia given based on weight( throwing this out here to determine if they know what they are talking about,i dont know the answer and it might not matter,but i dont want my dog over dosed and possibly p$#@!)
    4. who is the doctor,if im not already speaking to him/her.I wld like to meet the doctor as well.
    5.are all the dogs that go into the boarding area vaccinated.(im sure if they dont ask for my papers then no...she hasnt had her bordatella yet,but i hear she can stil get parvo even with her vaccines)
    6.what are the steps for care after the spay.
    7.ill ask about the stiches,if she has to come back to get them removed.
    8.what happens if she busts her stiches.

    those are just off the top of my head.

    ---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

    btw im going to look up most of the answers to my questions even before we go.i just need to make sure that they are on point

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. look how far shes came
    By honeypitty in forum Photography, Artwork & Videos
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-18-2010, 05:04 PM
  2. Shes A Snapper.
    By Chloe'sMama in forum Introductions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-27-2010, 10:22 PM
  3. Shes a Snapper.
    By Chloe'sMama in forum Training & Behavior
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-27-2010, 06:09 AM
  4. Shes loosing her fur?
    By AG S2 in forum Health & Nutritional Care
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-08-2009, 10:24 PM
  5. look how much shes grown
    By trey01 in forum Photography, Artwork & Videos
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-05-2009, 03:16 AM

Visitors found this page by searching for:

signs of pitbull in heat

how do you know when a pitbull is in heat

pitbull in heat signs

female pitbulls in heat

pitbulls in heat

female pitbull in heat

when do female pitbulls go into heat

pitbull in heat

signs my pitbull is in heat

how do you know when your pitbull is in heat

female pitbull in heat symptoms

signs of a pitbull in heat

pitbull going into heat

how often do pitbulls go in heat

pitbulls going into heat

signs of female pitbull in heatfemale pitbull heat symptomshow to tell when your pitbull is in heathow to tell when a pitbull is in heathow do i know if my female pitbull is in heathow do i know when my pitbull is in heathow can you tell when a pitbull is in heathow to tell when pitbull is in heatsigns of a pitbull going into heathow do you know when a female Pitbull is in heathow to tell if my female pitbull is in heatsigns that a pitbull is in heathow do you know if your female pitbull is in heatsigns of my pitbull going into heatpitbulls in heat signssymptoms of a pitbull in heathow to know when a female pitbull is in heathow can you tell if a pitbull is in heathow to tell if a pitbull is in heathow do i know if my pitbull is in heat

Bookmarks