Arrow Savannah, GA-An Open Letter To Pit Bull Defenders

An Open Letter To Pit Bull Defenders

Anne Hart | Sunday, June 3, 2007 at 12:30 am |

You strut along the road with your four-legged magnum by your side.
    Leashed, thank goodness.
    But menacing nonetheless.
    Your pit bull - complete with studded collar - does not impress.
    It does not scream macho or gangsta.
    All it says is "I'm stubborn enough to own a dog that is inclined to attack and sometimes requires a pry bar because its jaws lock so tight on its prey. I can't afford homeowners insurance because of this risky dog. No neighborhood will allow me in. And I owe thousands in animal-control fines."
    That is how pit bull owners should be perceived.
    Unfortunately, it's quite the opposite.
    Pit bulls were already glorified by rappers. Now the suspicion that Falcons quarterback Michael Vick is a heavyweight in the dog fighting world and possibly linked to as many as 55 pit bulls found at his home only fuels the cool dog perception.
    Watch pit bull breeders cash in on No. 7.
    Despite the deadly costs.
    Of course, not all pit bull breeders and owners are involved in dog fighting. But even those of you that aren't need to realize what kind of risk you're taking by having this breed in your home.
    Over Memorial Day weekend, a 3-year-old boy was mauled to death on Hunter Army Airfield in Savannah.
    Few details have been publicized because the Army is less than forthcoming about the case to the Savannah Morning News.
    What is known is a pit bull, pit bull mixed breed and a small terrier breed were seen standing over the toddler.
    Chances are the response from pit bull defenders will be: "Blame the deed, not the breed." And "Don't condemn a dog for what's usually the fault of the owner. You're looking at the wrong end of the leash.''
    Or "It's the fault of the kid's mom for not teaching him to stay away from unfamiliar dogs.''
    With all those excuses, what you fail to realize is a child died a terrible death, one of the worst imaginable.
    Pit-bull breeders and owners, stop breeding and buying these animals.
    Having a certain type of pet is not worth jeopardizing other lives.
    Just look at this mere sampling of pit-bull attacks nationwide in May.
    In Missouri, a grandfather pulled a neighbor's pit bull off his screaming granddaughter. An Alabama 7-year-old suffered bite wounds on his left shoulder and bicep from a neighbor's pit bull.
    An Ohio couple taking their 2-year-old daughter for walk in a stroller witnessed a neighbor's pit bull go straight for the little girl's face, biting her there several times.
    After a pit bull nearly took an Indiana girl's arm off, the Indianapolis mayor called for countywide pit bull ban.
    Why breed such a dog? Why put children at such risk?
    Cody Fox was 11 when he was mauled by pit bulls in 1998 in central Northern California. Unlike the toddler at Hunter, Cody survived. His ear and arm were partially torn off.
    I was working at a newspaper in Redding at the time of the attack and interviewed Cody and his mom.
    The dogs dragged him to the ground as Cody walked near his home in rural Tehama County.
    The district attorney successfully rallied, with support of the community, for statewide dog-attack legislation. It allows prosecutors to charge dog owners with a misdemeanor or a felony if their animal attacks someone, depending on the severity of the injury and whether the owner knew the dog had a propensity for violence.
    The legislation became known as Cody's Law.
    If only a similar outcry will be voiced here to make breeding and owning pit bulls as difficult as possible, both financially and socially.
    Banning the breed won't work. Determining a dog's breed with certainty is too difficult and a strain on already tightly-stretched animal control.
    Instead, neighbors need to report vicious dogs and abusive or neglectful owners and demand compliance to fencing and leash laws. Problem behaviors of dogs and owners often precede attacks and could trigger preemptive steps.
    You pit bull breeders and owners should face hefty fines and jail time when your dog attacks as well as high home or renters' insurance rates just for owning such animals.
    Without action, other pit bulls will attack.
    Next time it could be yours.
    If you encounter a vicious dog or experience a vicious dog attack, call 911. A police report is required. Your police department will then determine if Animal Control needs to be notified. Read past columns by Anne Hart at savannahnow.com/node/93615. Contact her at annehart1@bellsouth.net.

http://www.savannahnow.com/node/297412

I cannot fathom this level of ignorance. Almost ... because I was once ignorant myself, but she is just off the charts.

She did say ONE sensible thing: BSL will not work. I am amazed that she said that while in the same breath stereotyping pit bulls and their owners like the worst kind of racist.

I have often felt that the true pit bull advocates should get together, put aside their differences and hire a major national public relations firm to launch a campaign to:

Stop BSL
    Teach people about the true nature of pit bulls
    End BYB (of all breeds but this pit bull consortium could take the lead with that message).

3. she's not only off the charts, she's on drugs too.....

Images
    All I can say is WOW. I am realy speachless. I can not believe someone is that ignorant. I am truly sorry for the children that were either harmed or killed.

Quote Originally Posted by CynthiaATL View Post
    All I can say is WOW. I am realy speachless. I can not believe someone is that ignorant. I am truly sorry for the children that were either harmed or killed.

I agree with her but uhhh punish owners not the poor dogs

This person needs help. It is more than likely that it is not the dog fault. She needs to see a doctor and get off the drugs she is on

Yeah yeah yeah! It's the same old story, just a new breed of the moment. We saw the same thing happen to rotts, dobermans, and german shepards. Why are there more dog bites being recorded? Because there are more dogs. It's a matter of supply and demand. This is the popular breed right now, so there are more of them out there, especially mixes. The fact that the dog may be mixed with a dog that's prone to human aggression isn't taken into consideration. In another few years, there will be a new bully breed everyone wants. When that happens, people will forget about pit bulls and move on to the next target. And so will begin the decline of so called pit bull attacks and shelter dogs. These things always run in cycles.

Quote Originally Posted by Galadriel View Post
    In another few years, there will be a new bully breed everyone wants. When that happens, people will forget about pit bulls and move on to the next target. And so will begin the decline of so called pit bull attacks and shelter dogs. These things always run in cycles.
    i really hope you're right, but this has been one long cycle, and i'm afraid it won't end well for the breed. there's a sports illustrated article from 1987 about pit bull attacks that reads like it could have been written yesterday.

9. Quote Originally Posted by buddysmom View Post
    I cannot fathom this level of ignorance. Almost ... because I was once ignorant myself, but she is just off the charts.

She did say ONE sensible thing: BSL will not work. I am amazed that she said that while in the same breath stereotyping pit bulls and their owners like the worst kind of racist.

I have often felt that the true pit bull advocates should get together, put aside their differences and hire a major national public relations firm to launch a campaign to:

Stop BSL
    Teach people about the true nature of pit bulls
    End BYB (of all breeds but this pit bull consortium could take the lead with that message).
    It's true that this woman may have her facts mixed up, but you gotta look at it from her point of view too. Now my pitbull is a very friendly dog. He's really good with people and kids and so far has not tried to attack any other dog...BUT I also never give him that opportunity either. If I'm out with him he is always leashed and I always keep in mind that I will never know my dog 100%. It only takes one incident to make the news and the other 99% "good dog reputation" is wasted. The general public does not have any real knowledge of the pitbull, much less a balanced view of the true personality and qualities of this breed. The only time the word "pitbull" enters their mind is when another pitbull attack on a human or dog is broadcast through the media, and you may as well not hope for the m$#@! to take time to learn the truth about the breed. Unless you are a responsible pitbull owner, most people are just not interested in being told by us that they are wrong in their opinions. I may be different from most but I do not think it is the media, the law or the system that is harming our dogs . It is the careless owner that throws fuel on the fire of public opinion about this breed, and public view on this dog ( in my opinion) has been formed by one terrible experience with the pitbull after another due to the rising popularity of this breed as it fell into the hands of owners who don't have a clue as to how to manage the pitbull. Look at the attacks, practically all of them are from dogs running loose. Seems like every slum, ghetto or low housing district has more pitbulls or pitbull mixes than rats, many running loose. I'm approached so many times when I take my dog for walks by young people who want me to breed my dog so they can have a pup. No Way! and 9 times out of 10 they want it for image. No, I don't blame the public for their perception of pitbulls when all they know comes from the latest news about pitbull attacks. People are lazy and would rather someone else (the media) tell them what to believe.
    And these irresponsible, careless pitbull owners are giving the media a real education.
    Last edited by Grizzly; 09-11-2007 at 11:48 AM.

10. Angry i agree

most you think that she is on drug and that she is crazy but until this happen to u or one of ur family member then u going to realize what other people are trying to say or what point she is trying to say . i also agree on the fines on owner they should be fully responsible when the dogs attack other people .

Quote Originally Posted by dandre2004 View Post
    most you think that she is on drug and that she is crazy but until this happen to u or one of ur family member then u going to realize what other people are trying to say or what point she is trying to say . i also agree on the fines on owner they should be fully responsible when the dogs attack other people .
    I am sorry your relative is so jaw dropping ignorant as to think every pit bull is like a loaded magnum ready and willing to kill and mangle people, and every pit bull owner is a gangsta.

12. until every pitbull owner is a RESPONSIBLE one, or until the world is educated about the breed you will here stories like this. plane and simple

Quote Originally Posted by KADO View Post
    until every pitbull owner is a RESPONSIBLE one, or until the world is educated about the breed you will here stories like this. plane and simple
    That is the sad truth. And also, until people take the time to research something before they spout off about it.

This was my response back when it happened.

http://www.ukcpitbull.com/pitblog/?p=24

Quote Originally Posted by bahamutt99 View Post
    This was my response back when it happened.

http://www.ukcpitbull.com/pitblog/?p=24
    That is excellent bahamutt. Just perfect.

Grazie. That gal's rant really just pushed me over. I usually try to handle myself with more poise, but I felt like a good satire just might be in order.

Images
    I know I'm real late into this post, but I just wanted to tell that letter you wrote was AWESOME. You GO girl!!!:D

18. I concur with Lucy. That was amazing and extremely by far the most well written piece I've ever seen. THAT should be publish.

:) Thanks.