Cool Female Pit Bull humping? dominance? Sexual?

Good evening all,

I just have a quick discussion question. I live in an apartment with a roomate who has a Siberian Husky named Mack who is 3 mnths and I of course have an APBT named Mia who is almost 5 mnths now. They used to just play all da time 2 months ago and Mack would bark and growl and Mia wouldnt say anything.

Now she seems to mount him from behind and stands there.
    I did research about it and heard that she is $#@!erting her dominance thing and also she possibly could be having hormones raging. my question is which is it and should I discourage it?

SN: the barking and growling is playful. Mia knows she can dominate Mack but just doesnt because she understands he smaller than her.

e

Images
    She could just be playing or it could be dominance. Is she putting her paws on his back (not humping) and just playing around? That could just be puppy play, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just supervise them. :) I highly doubt it's hormones. I would get one of them fixed though when they are of age so you don't end up with pups later.
    Last edited by Krista; 09-22-2010 at 02:01 PM.

Its a dominance thing. I would not let her do it, as you could have a really ugly situation if he decides one day that he doesn't like it. ;)
    Besides she needs to learn what is and is not polite play behavior with her brother and any other dog she becomes friends with.

She's not humping but she is mounting and tucking her arms like a male would if he was trying to impregnate.

5. Are they fixed? If not, do not let them around each other. She can get pregnant during her first heat which could happen very soon. With females it's generally a dominance thing and can definitely lead to a fight. I would not allow her to do it, I use a squirt bottle to deter that kind of behavior. If it continues, I separate the dogs. You might find this information helpful about having a multi dog home with a pit bull:
    http://www.pbrc.net/multidogs.html
    http://www.pbrc.net/rotate.html

Make sure you know how to properly break up a fight:
    http://www.pbrc.net/breakfight.html
    http://www.pbrc.net/breaksticks.html

Dogs hump, but it's pretty rude in dog talk and can lead to problems. Stop her from dong it...nasty girl.

Quote Originally Posted by MsAcer View Post
    Dogs hump, but it's pretty rude in dog talk and can lead to problems. Stop her from dong it...nasty girl.

Lucy does it too. It's out of dominance, but I also suspect it's because she's a total $#@!, since when my friends bring their male pit bull over, all she does is sniff and lick his wiener, and hump the air frantically. But I also catch her humping my other dogs. I stop her, but when it involves the dog who makes her hump air, it'll start back up like a minute later.

But yes, it is rude in dog talk, and can lead to fights. Even if the dog has $#@!ty intentions like mine, the other dog has no way of knowing.

My little female chihuahua will sneak up behind a dog and air hump em

After a few short humps she'll back up, scoot her feet and prance around a bit all full of herself. :D

9. Its a dominance thing. I would not let her do it,
    I agree with this. I would correct her every time you catch her doing this. Do you crate both dogs when your not able to supervise or gone from home?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MsAcer View Post
    lol.... I have 2 females here (both spayed) that are constantly 'trying' to hump each other.(trying as I do not allow it) Bella (apbt) tries to hump Beep (gsd) and vice versa.What's funny is.... they get mad at me if I stop them (like HEY!!! I was enjoying that!) I think they may ENJOY it.

I would not encourage the behaviour to continue.It's rude and it can lead to fights.

my female bulldog and Female Great Dane hump but they only try to hump my husband. Atleast the recognize who is the less dominant one in this house :) *Kidding* we correct them trust me

Thank you all for your help with this problem.I use the water bottle technique now to deter her. mack has grown also and has gotten bigger so maybe now she doesnt feel as dominant..thanks again.

Daisy is also a humper. But it is a dominance thing for her. She never humps people, just rowdy. My moms malti- $#@! is just spayed and $#@!ty. She humps pillows, but only in secret.