Thumbs up Can my dog get a female pregnant on her period...

My friends dog is on her period n it is almost over. But last night they got stuck together.. she's four n he's two.. I just need to kno if it is possable they can have pups. I've never had my dog get stuck or have sex for that Matter.. do I need to worry or wut....?

What you are calling a "period" is her heat, which is exactly when a dog can get pregnant. It is extremely possible that she has gotten pregnant. If I were you or your friend, I'd call the Vet and get her spayed, if she is pregnant, then they can just abort the litter right then.
    Last edited by CoolHandJean; 09-10-2010 at 10:25 AM.

Like CHJ said.. Please take the dog to the vet and get it spayed..

This makes my head hurt.

5. Please, please, please get your dog spayed. There are lowcost clinics and grants all over the US. PBRC offers spay/neuter $#@!istance: http://www.pbrc.net/fund/ap_neuter.html

Please read some of these links:

http://www.pbrc.net/breeding3.html
    http://www.animallaw.info/articles/o...ysaletable.htm
    http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?t=9367
    http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?t=9373
    http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?t=9370
    http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?t=9376

We recently asked a vet we work with how much some common services $#@!ociated with dog breeding generally cost. I've seen many pit bulls have litters of 9-12 puppies.

-Prenatal Exam: $45
    -Health Test:$45
    -Sonogram:$200
    -Emergency C-Section:$800
    -Puppy Exam for 8 puppies:$80
    -Deworming for 8 puppies:$80
    -Vaccines for 8 puppies:$320 every 3 weeks starting at 6 weeks old
    -Fecal: $28
    -Autopsy:$150
    -Flea preventative: about $12 per pup.
    -Formula: $30 per container (large litters have to receive bottles to help mom out with nursing)
    -Puppy Food: $20 a bag

So if your bitch has 8 puppies survive, you are looking at about $2,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn View Post
    This makes my head hurt.
    And I already had a headache to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn View Post
    This makes my head hurt.
    Ditto. Please have your friend spay the female.

Images
    Please have your friend get her female spayed.

I'm gonna have to say that I also agree with all the above, please spay/abort

omg!!! :eek: this is the funniest thing I have read today! Guess some of the most common sense things about dogs people dont even know! But that there are 2 people that obviously had no clue!!! haha.

Like when I was at the dog park and I rinsed Zahra off with the hose and a lady petted her and said 'oh wow your really sweaty!' I looked at her like 'uh wha?' I nearly died laughing.

For 8 puppies to survive it does not cost 2 grand, your just trying to scare the hell out of ignorant people. Maybe if all 8 were born sick as hell with a sick mom but not every time if you have 8 pups you will be spending 2 grand to keep them alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Hucklebutt View Post
    For 8 puppies to survive it does not cost 2 grand, your just trying to scare the hell out of ignorant people.
    Ever think that might be a good idea? :rolleyes:

She said these were common services $#@!ociated with dog breeding, not that you have to do all of them for the pups to survive. Although reading through, most would be smart to do in order to have a healthy mom/litter.

Regardless, the last thing we need is another litter of Pit Bulls, so a spay/abort would be the best choice here.

---------- Post added at 07:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 AM ----------

Btw - here's a place that will spay/neuter Pit Bulls for free in your area, which is awesome:

. | The Toby Project

Here's their schedule, looks like they're in Brooklyn on 9/18 and again on 9/25. They list everything you need to do in the first link I posted.

Spay/Neuter Van Location Calendar | The Toby Project

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rednosescorpion View Post
    My friends dog is on her period n it is almost over. But last night they got stuck together.. she's four n he's two.. I just need to kno if it is possable they can have pups. I've never had my dog get stuck or have sex for that Matter.. do I need to worry or wut....?
    My guess would be.....YES! Its highly possible. The only way its not possible,is if the male is neutered (has the testicles removed) over 2 months prior to the dogs ''sticking together''. Obviously your friends dog is NOT spayed or she would not be on her 'period' aka heat cycle.At the point you are speaking of in her heat cycle is likely her ''receptive'' period(or peak fertility).She is most likely pregnant. It only takes 1 time of ''sticking together'' for a pregnancy to result.

Now since you have allowed the dogs together during the female's heat,and you are reffering to her biological state as a ''period'' I am guessing this really is a new experiance for both of you.

I am hoping your friend has a little more common sense and experiance than you do. She NEEDS to spay her female NOW.Or she will, in about 63 days end up with a litter of puppies. Not likely just one puppy,but likely a LITTER of them.As in 5 or more puppies.Some dogs have over 11 puppies in a litter.That's 11 reasons to have her spayed NOW.And let me explain why...Raising puppies costs a great deal of $$$$$$ and takes a great deal of work and time.and that's for a HEALTHY litter.Wich is never a garuntee when any female is pregnant.There's ALLWAYS a possibility of complications that can kill her dog and the puppies.That's 11 homes that need to be found after raising 11 puppies for 8 weeks.And if they don't find homes,that could be 11 puppies in a shelter. Also that's 11 spaces possibly removed from other needy dogs at that shelter (wich could cost 22 lives-one of each puppy she brings into the world/shelter and the lives of 11 unwanted dogs/puppies they took the place of)And note this.When a pit bull walks into the shelter,it seldom walks out. Usually its incinerated along with other dogs humanely euthinised that day. Many shelters will not adopt out a pit bull or a pit mix.Its dead the minute it walks through the doors.Cute puppy or not.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Hucklebutt View Post

For 8 puppies to survive it does not cost 2 grand, your just trying to scare the hell out of ignorant people. Maybe if all 8 were born sick as hell with a sick mom but not every time if you have 8 pups you will be spending 2 grand to keep them alive.
    I listed basic services, if you had sick puppies it would cost even more. Petunia and her pups were on several meds and supplements that would have cost several hundred dollars if they hadn't been donated. The only thing on my list that may not be required is an autopsy if one of the pups dies, but there's almost always at least one puppy that doesn't make it.

PLEASE DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Thread closed.