1. Rabies shot at 3 months?

Went to the vet today for Axles third round of Parvo shots. He will be 13 weeks in two days. The vet gave him a parvo shot, a rabies shot, and a bordetella shot and told us we were all done until he was about a year old. Does this sound right? Everything I have read in the past has said that the rabies was done at 16 weeks? Thanks for the help

Images
    A rabies vaccine can be done as early as 12 weeks of age. Most vets will wait until after the puppy has reached its 16 week birthday to $#@!ure that the owner complies and actually brings the dog back, because the dog is supposed to get a distemper parvo vaccine every 3 weeks until on or after their 16 week birthday. In other words, if they gave rabies at 12 weeks, there is a good chance that some owners would not return to finish the distemper-parvo boosters so as a compliance $#@!urance, they wait.

Hope that makes sense I was having difficulty figuring out how I wanted to word that lol. But all that being said, your puppy should get 1 more distemper parvo before you consider him "done for a year" :D

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LailaBug View Post
    A rabies vaccine can be done as early as 12 weeks of age. Most vets will wait until after the puppy has reached its 16 week birthday to $#@!ure that the owner complies and actually brings the dog back, because the dog is supposed to get a distemper parvo vaccine every 3 weeks until on or after their 16 week birthday. In other words, if they gave rabies at 12 weeks, there is a good chance that some owners would not return to finish the distemper-parvo boosters so as a compliance $#@!urance, they wait.

Hope that makes sense I was having difficulty figuring out how I wanted to word that lol. But all that being said, your puppy should get 1 more distemper parvo before you consider him "done for a year" :D
    Good post

Only thing I want to add is that current research shows they they need 2 series of vaccines Dhlp/Dapp after 12 weeks to develop proper immunity.

So depending on when you start your series will depend on how many series the pup will receive.

Images
    For whatever it's worth, my Vet gave mine a rabies shot before four months also, I asked 'why' and was told that the 4 month guideline was primarily due to the small size of most pups, and that mine was large enough to receive the shot.

Also check state laws. Louisiana state law requires every dog/cat/ferret 12 weeks of age and older to have the rabies vaccine. So if the next vaccination date falls on that when your dog is 3 months, he will get it then.

Images
    FL law is that they can have the rabies as young as 12 weeks but have to have it by 16 weeks. As a pup they have to have a 1 year. But at their 1 yr booster they can get a 3 yr Rabies.

Like Mia said check your local laws.

I don't know. All I know is NC required you have the rabies shot by 4 months old. I didn't know you could get one before that.

My vet said, that after having taking my pup for 3 sets of 7in1, he would to come back again for another 7in1. She explained that it was common for the pitbull to get parvo so to come back rather than get the rabbies as the next shot. I ignored it and took him for his rabbies at 4 months.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuceone View Post
    My vet said, that after having taking my pup for 3 sets of 7in1, he would to come back again for another 7in1. She explained that it was common for the pitbull to get parvo so to come back rather than get the rabbies as the next shot. I ignored it and took him for his rabbies at 4 months.
    You can give the 7-in-1 and the rabies at the same time as long as the dog is old enough so I am not really sure I understand what your vet meant...But they are correct about parvo bieng common in Pitbull puppies

10. my pup didn't get his rabbies until he was 18weeks..(which just so happen to be this past friday)...

In MI you cannot give rabies before 16 weeks by law. The dog also has to have rabies vaccine before getting licensed and needs to be licensed before 6 months old in most places so you pretty much get the vaccine and then go pick up your license.

my vet complains if i dont bring in a dog at 12 weeks to get rabies shot, after rhea i dont too much care for them, but its safety for the dogs. It made her hair fall out and now she has $#@!ty skin. and she didnt have it until that shot. But my vet prefers to do it at 12 weeks old