Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. My dog keeps breaking the fence...Need help

Hi all...
    As a working student, I am still living at home. I have a black metal fence that is about 5 feet tall that has a gate that locks to keep my pitbull on the side of my house when I'm not home, if we have guests, or if my father is working on a project in the backyard. She has more than enough room to run and play on the side of the house, plus shade and her home.
    Whenever I put her on the side of the house and lock the fence, after a few hours, I will come out there and the door of the fence is BROKEN and she is in the backyard.
    I don't know what to do because I live with my parents and my dad put the fence in to help me out, but she keeps breaking it. I tell her no everytime she does it, plus I will say no no no whenever I hear her even messing with the gate.
    This is driving my dad crazy because it is hard to put the gate back into place, and it makes a very loud bang as the metal gate hits the ground and it is driving my neighbors crazy.
    If I cannot get this behavior corrected, my dad will kick me and my dog out.
    Any advice on what I can do?:confused:

Make a chain spot. Pit bulls are escape artists. A good chain spot, a dog house, and access to water and your dog will be fine.

Chaining Info - General Dog Discussions

How to make a chain setup - Products Equipment

3. Chaining is illegal in many areas so check your local dog laws or contact your local animal control, they should know the laws. You could crate her when your not home. Pit bulls are known for being escape artist.

4. it is illegal in California ugh. I might try crating again I know she hates it though

Images
    To the best of mt knowledge, you may tether your dog for up to three hours here in California. Don't know if that would be enough time ...

What is it about crating she does not like?

6. How long did you try it for? Here is good advice about getting a dog use to a crate. Ours love theirs and will even go into them on their own to sleep. That's also the only time they get treats.
    http://www.pbrc.net/training_crate.html

Note to self, don't move to California.

8. I believe she thought she was being punished whenever she went into the crate. She always would cry when she'd sit in it.

I tried it for 3 months when she was a puppy.

I will try the site.

I appreciate everyone's input !

Feeding her in her crate with the door open will make her $#@!ociate it with wonderful food. It's a good first step to getting her to like it.

10. Quote Originally Posted by omgrobyn View Post
    Feeding her in her crate with the door open will make her $#@!ociate it with wonderful food. It's a good first step to getting her to like it.
    I agree and I would also move into the room where you hangout the most so she doesn't feel isolated.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by omgrobyn View Post
    Agreed - works beautifully! I trained my adult Rottie-x to get used to her crate. She $#@!ociates the crate with food, treats and will even sleep in it, with the door open.

JM0203 - if your dog whines in the crate - ignore it. If you respond to her whining, she will learn that she gets attention, and the behavior will be reinforced.

And a Kong stuffed with peanut butter, dog food, and any other yummies like a mashed up banana, then frozen, is a good way for your dog to p$#@! the time in the crate.

13. Good ideas everyone!
    If I'm not home is it okay to put the crate in the garage or should I just leave her in it in my room?

Images
    I'd leave the crate in the room - garage might get too hot around here.

15. Ok sounds good

is she an outside dog,,?
    maybe you could buy those enclosers for herr sothat she can't get out?

Possibly a solid kennel run?

the dog needs to learn that the crate is her spot, they dont $#@!ume it is, hense the whining. and im $#@!uming you probably reacted to her whining, which made her $#@!ume whining = her getting let out = crate is bad and me whining means i get attention. thats what youe dog is thinking, you need to TRAIN her to gt used to the crate. put it in the livingroom, $#@!ociate it with good. put treats, food, etc. let fam be around, if she whines, dont acknowledge her till she stopes for a few mins, then let her out and treat etc.

Post a pic of the fence and gate .Let`s take a look at what it is the dog is breaking or knocking off.It should not be that hard to figure out a remedy.

20. Again, no one asks the most important question before even recommending crating...

How much time will the dog be spending in the crate if that's the way you go?

I too would like to see what she is breaking out of...

A good chain-link panel run can work very well....
    Not the cheap stuff you buy at home-improvement stores either....usually have to go to a fence company.

Carla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast