Thread: Pork Bones

Pork Bones

I just found some nice pork bones at Safeway and just wanted to make sure that they will be ok to give to my dog.

2. If they are cooked they will get brittle and break off, maybe injure your dog. If given raw there is the risk of Trychinosis(sp). I have been told, that if you deep freeze them for a month it will kill the trichonisis, but I don't know for sure.

I was not planning on cooking them. I have heard that pork bones can be brittle compared to the beef ones I give him all the time and was worried about him breaking off pieces and swallowing them.

Thanks for the reply, I will just freeze them for now and see what other people say.

4. Quote Originally Posted by BethBurgess2007 View Post
    If they are cooked they will get brittle and break off, maybe injure your dog. If given raw there is the risk of Trychinosis(sp). I have been told, that if you deep freeze them for a month it will kill the trichonisis, but I don't know for sure.

There's still as slight risk of trichinosis in raw pork in the U.S., but it's pretty rare. Apparently it's not all that rare in Mexico, but most U.S. pork is safe unless it's wild or home-raised. I'd be MUCH more worried about the bones being brittle after cooking!

Here's the CDC factsheet about it. Only 12 reported cases in the U.S. 1999-2001, so it really is pretty rare:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasi...sis.htm#common

I have fed my pittys pork steak bones for years and they have never had a problem with them. My pits eat very gentle and careful tho (kinda like a cat) i would reconsider if your pits eat fast or skarfs food down.

I usually give beef knuckles or beef femurs. Once they start breaking off pieces, which takes a long time, I throw them in the trash. I have a lack of trust in pork bones.

I have fed pork neck bones... Rib bones are good since they can eat the whole thing vs beef rib bones, which my girl cannot. I'm feeding a pork head as I type... I only froze it a couple of days (I got excited) but I ahve also heard 2-4 for freezing to kill parasites. I've also fed a pork femur but that was a LOT of bone for one meal.

8. My dogs eat pork ribs all the time. they are able to eat the whole thing bone and all. Even my shih tzu has no trouble chewing up these bones.

Thanks for the information. These look like shoulder blades or something, I think I will give him one but keep a close eye on his while he is munching on it.

I feed raw pork necks to my dogs as they are the cheapest. Only issue I have is if the dog doesn't chew well enough they will hork up bones chunks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany3483 View Post
    I feed raw pork necks to my dogs as they are the cheapest. Only issue I have is if the dog doesn't chew well enough they will hork up bones chunks.
    Interestingly, my girl will barf up the ends of chicken leg bones more than pork bones. Wish I know why it happens sometimes and not others with the same food items...

Quote Originally Posted by HappyPuppy View Post
    Interestingly, my girl will barf up the ends of chicken leg bones more than pork bones. Wish I know why it happens sometimes and not others with the same food items...
    Never had a problem with chicken until the other day.

My roommate's Rat Terrier wasn't acting right. She didn't eat, but was drinking. I thought maybe can impaction, but she was going potty ok. She seemed fine other than not eating. So the 3rd day in the morning we were going to take her to the vet. I had smelled her breath and it smelled rancid that morning. Stomach felt fine, couldn't feel any blockages. She was still drinking.

I felt her neck and it was was really tight. So I stuck my finger down her throat. Couldn't feel anything, but a few minutes later, she vomited. Then she went and drank water. Then about 15 minutes later, she vomited up a rotten chicken neck! OMG the smell has horrific and then she tried to eat it again and we had to pull it out of her throat.

After that she went crazy trying to find food to eat since she is a glutton!

I guess it was stuck in her throat, but she was still able to drink and she ran around and acted fine. Just refused food.

13. keyword....rat terrier.... smaller the dog, smaller the bites you should be giving to avoid plugging up their necks : ) just for something to add, I have been buying whole chickens at Ralphs since they have been on sale .69 cents per pound!!! And it's foster farms... Don't know about anyone else but I also supplement raw meals later in the day with Natural Balance kibble or I will make satin balls and freeze them. My dogs love love love chicken livers but they get a full range of different items based on whats on sale i.e. hearts, livers, kidneys etc. along with the chicken as a staple. I have read that too much organ meat can cause some digestion messes so they never get too much at one time.