Getting him to stop whining

Whats a good way to teach a dog to stop whining over everything?

Harley is a compulsive whiner. He whines for EVERYTHING. Sometimes 'enough' works (somestimes it comes with a sharp tug on his collar) but most of the time he stops for a second before starting to whine again. Its the worst when he sees other dogs. Sometimes its just whining other times it escalates into a whine with a vibrating type of yap mixed in (and once he goes there hes in the 'stupid' state and nothing works at all)

Im really getting sick of the whining over everything so Im trying to figure out the best way to approach fixing it because its such a HUGE part of his daily life. Instead of barking or growling he whines, when hes anxious (he does have anxiety but its getting better and better) he whines, when he wants to play he whines, when he wants to fight another dog he whines... he whines for EVERYTHING (and god forbid you step on his toes, he screams like you stabbed him lol but thats understandable, but even if you just barely caught a toe he over reacts on the whine)

If YOU had a dog who whined over everything how would you go about getting it under control?

Im thinking along the lines of clicker work as of now (I got one for Indy and have started using it with Harley again) and when hes in a situation where he would normally whine and he doesnt click/mark (I use both a click and a verbal 'good' for when I dont have a clicker on me) but the amount of times he doesnt whine are so rare it would probably take a year or two before he catches on to that. Along with the fact that when he stops after I correct with his leash its such a short time that I probably couldnt even have a second to get a click in before hes off whining again and Im afraid of unintentionally marking the whining and not the silence.

Which is why I decided to post and see if I could get opinions on how you guys would go about this type of situation if he were your dog.

Thank you!

Images
    I use my spray bottle and catch them off guard. I guess it wont work if your dog likes water:confused:

I did consider that. I use one on my lab for her excessive barking and pounding down the back door, worked great, used it maybe 5 times and now I just show her and she stops barking and doesnt even touch the back door lol but she also already dislikes water so I figured it couldnt hurt to use it on her, Harley tolerates baths and loves to swim and Im afraid of ruining that or just having him not care because he would literally be squirt 20 times min a day. But if I cant figure something out I very well may give it a try lol

If there's a solution, I need to know about it.

Damascus whines, all the time. Bath time, whining. Getting his food ready? Whining. In his crate, whining. Another dog? WHINE WHIINE WHINE ARROOOOOOO Walk time? WARBLE WARBLE WHINE WHINE

And my friend's dog does it too.

Lucy will whine sometimes, but all I really have to do with her is say her name in a low somewhat growly voice, and when she looks up and sees me glaring, she stops for a bit. Wish Damascus was that easy.

I just try to ignore it. If he's whining to go for a walk, I sit down and occupy myself with something until he stops. If he's whining because of a dog on a walk, I stop walking until he stops.

Well Im glad to know Im not the only one with a cry baby dog. For people who know what a big dork Harley is the whining and yapping just makes him look pathetic but its the people who only see a man eatting pit bull is where Im concerned.

If the other dogs on the walk ignore his whining he will only do it a couple times and stop and move on without a second glance. Its the dogs who react to his whining (which is most around here) that start the problem. If the other dog shows any bit of excitment towards him (good or bad excitement) because of his whining it sets him off more (in a bad way) and the whining turns into the vibrating yapping and he sounds like hes possesd.. and Im sure most of the people who are walking their little ankle biters are thinking the man eatting pit bull wants to attack them.

So for him stoping isnt an option. The longer he is around dogs who set him off the more and more he escalates. At least not untill I can get some control on his whining.

With my lab (who doenst whine but she is reactive in a bad way to other dogs) my friend took off jogging as soon as she starting reacting in a bad way and she stoped the bad behavior and had to focus on keeping up with my friend. But shes also very fat and out of shape so it works well to refocus her but Im not sure that would solve anything long term with Harley (or her even but we do have a plan for her now). It may get him to stop temporarily but he will still do it next time he sees a dog and I pretty much always have my son in a stroller with me so taking off running is not something Im really able to do. But Im hoping someone here has an idea on how to go about it

Images
    Do not respond to the whining a lot of times that will stop it. If you respond to the whining you are teaching your dog to do that behavior.

I thought I had the world's most whiniest dog!
    But, yeah usually completely ignoring him/her works.
    My dog whines less and less now. Pretty embarrassing
    when he does it in the streets when im coming out of
    the store or something. :(

Sully whines a lot too, I think this breed is just very vocal, which can be cute sometimes but very annoying other times. I mostly try to ignore it, but if she gets crazy with the whining (like an 8 on a scale of one to 10) I will give her a correction (uh, uh, enough). Sometimes if I give her the correction when she is at a low level whine it will actually increase the intensity, like she is thinking "oh, she is listening! I need to whine more now." Just try to be patient and block it out, if they learn whining gets them attention it just reinforces that behavior.

I guess I can try ignoring it again. I have tried before with no success becasue its not only me who reacts. Hes lookin for the other dog hes whiniing at to react, and if/when it does THAT sets him off. And he goes far above a 10 on a 1-10 scale when he gets going. Once he excalates nothing Ive tried breaks his focus on the other dog he just acts like a nut case pulling and whining at the other dog untill he gets into his 'posses killer' state.

Regular old whining, if it stayed at that, wouldnt be a problem in my opinion. BUT with Harley a little whine usually turns into psyco dog in a short time.

10. Tank is a whiner. He loves water and I use a spray bottle. It has worked wonders. Now he only wines if he's in crate when people come over, but all I have to do his show him the squirt bottle and he stops.

The breed its self seem to be prone to being whiners as puppy's as they grow they will come out of it. That is if you dont give into them and stat petting them when they do to get them to stop. I have owned 3 pits and all 3 have done it.

Just as humans babies cry and grow out of it, so do puppy's. Do not respond to it. Using a spry bottle works, another way is to say no "In a stern Voice" and get up and walk away. Once they have stopped make sure you reward them with love and affection. I have trained many dogs from Pits to Rots to Boxers and I have never used treats to do so. My theory has always been "Discipline Hard Love even Harder". Evey place I take my animals all I hear is "WoW he/she is very well trained.

I have been trying the squirt bottle in the house along with 'enough'. I never reward the behavior, if he gets a reaction its a tug on his prong with a firm 'enough' (which he knows means knock it off, but with whining he tends to stop a second then continue again) and nothing more. But my biggest issue is the whining on walks.