Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair loss

Hair loss

My blue nose pit has been on and off appearing with patches of bald spots from his back to his tail. I've noticed he itches by his tail He also has bumps on those bald spots. Ive taken him to the VET 3x, wasted $$$ on the bills, new diet food from the VET, meds, only helps while on it, then he's back to losing his hair. PLEASE HELP ME. Im so concerned. he looks so sick, but acts normal and my husband says its bad and wants to put him down. :eek:. We feed him Pedigree.

Images
    Did the vet do a skin scrape to d/x for demodectic mange?

Also, I would recommend to feed him a different food than Pedigree, to help support his immune system. What did the vet prescribe (in terms of food)?

Blue or dilute black colored dogs tend to have a lot of skin conditions. First off get him off of Pedigree! That food is absolute junk - it is nothing but corn and other fillers plus very little and very questionable meat. Then go back to the vet and get a skin scrape done - sounds like it could be some sort of mange.

Vet has done the skin scrape, nothing found. No mange either.Purchased a $75 bag of dogfood from their office, nothing. Vet has said he's a healthy dog.Very outgoing guy but Im frustrated to see him that way.I will be taking him in again monday.We've tried shampoo with oatmeal, nothing.

Can you post pics?

Yours is the second post I get in less than 5 min telling me Pedigree is not good. I'll start there.The VET had given him some pricy food. Any suggestions on the kind I should try?

7. Try lamb and rice.. avoid any high protein food til everything is ok

Im not sure how to do that. It asks for the URL of my picture

I highly suggest getting a grain free food and not feeding anything with chicken. So foods like EVO Red Meat, TOTW Pacific Stream, Orijen Regional Red, Orijen 6 Fish, Acana (grain free) Grasslands or Pacifica. Those are just the ones off the top of my head.

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bluespike View Post
    Im not sure how to do that. It asks for the URL of my picture
    Do you have a photobucket account? If you do just copy and paste the img code.

---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Try lamb and rice.. avoid any high protein food til everything is ok
    I would stay away from grains all together right now.

10. I dunno.. I'm no expert on those skin problems but that works for me in several occassion, but try their suggestions first.

Here's him. Healthy. Sort of started with the eye. VET said he had an infection and gave him a cream for mange

12. If I self-medicate.. I just give a shot ivomec. Ivomec 1% solution - 1/10 cc per 10 lbs. of dog weight. Then followed by deworming after 2 days. That normally shows fast resolution, but I won't recommend it. Ask your vet first.

Thank you. Let me post a picture of him now.

Please post a pic of his current state.

Looks like it could be d-mange. I would seek a second opinion from another vet.

Get a second opinion. Get him off that Pedigree ASAP. Go with a grain free food, made from alternative protein sources.

But yet the VET has said it isnt the several times we've taken him. He's seen him since he was apupp, had his ears cropped there, neutered because he was born with undescending ...and now this. I think another opinion would be good. I apply the ointment on his affected areas which vet had given him when it started for his eye, cream reads its for mange, but the areas dont get any better.Funny thing its going from head to tail, area by area, the top of the paws, the back, back legs, tail. So its moved back.,

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mstngchic2012 View Post
    Looks like it could be d-mange. I would seek a second opinion from another vet.
    I agree. FWIW: our dog Trusty had demodectic mange in 2007- it took two separate vets to d/x it (and two scrapings).

The first was negative for mites, the second was positive.

What cream did the vet give you?

Where do you think I can find those : EVO Red Meat, TOTW Pacific Stream, Orijen Regional Red, Orijen 6 Fish, Acana (grain free) Grasslands or Pacifica. I normally buy his pedigree at walmart, not sure if Petco carrys them. Im in Cali. Seems 3 ppl agree pedigree isn't good. so It could be reaction to the food.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast