Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Some say the "runt" is the best pick of the litter

I've talked to many dog owners and the majority seems to think that the runt is the best pick out the litter. Anyone on PBC agree with this? Why or why not

2. best for what ?...will make the sweetest pooch,possibly....will sit,stay and trot on command,possibly.....

will be the most vigorous and dynamic physical specimen,clearly not.......

why anybody would CHOOSE to own the inherent weakest pup of a litter beats me :confused:......if a litter contains a runt cull it.....simple.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.clueless View Post
    best for what ?...will make the sweetest pooch,possibly....will sit,stay and trot on command,possibly.....

will be the most vigorous and dynamic physical specimen,clearly not.......

why anybody would CHOOSE to own the inherent weakest pup of a litter beats me :confused:......if a litter contains a runt cull it.....simple.
    On the contrary I seen one lady's pitbull and she told me it was the last one because it was considered the "runt" and she told me it was undersized compared to the littermates and developed at a slow pace.

Fast forward two years and the dog looks like a beast. This isn't the first time I've seen a runt to age well and look more physically fit than the rest.

My grandfathers rule was always keep atleast two dogs out of every litter you have. The runt and the brute, it always worked well for him so i did the same i kept the runt, the brute, and the two most hyper pups out of my litter and so far im not dissapointed.

Why couldn't the "runt" be the pick of the litter? It may have great conformation and a great temperament and still be considered the "runt."

I have known more "runts" like previously stated: small when a pup, but larger than its littermates as an adult.

6. theres a big difference between a runt and the smallest pup of a litter......a true runt will be obviously underdeveloped,small and weak............

thats a big difference to a small pup in a litter

I can see where the confusion comes in on the term runt, that term means different things to different folks. If by runt you mean just the smallest dog in a particular litter, then yes that dog may turn out to be the best dog in that litter... but if you take the other definition, then I agree with culling it.

I was meaning "runt" as in smallest dog in the litter not a dog with any clear developmental issues.

Images
    Hint..... Mollie was the runt of the litter. ;)

One of the best dogs ever, so I don't knock the runts, I got a great one. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mollie's Nana View Post
    Hint..... Mollie was the runt of the litter. ;)

One of the best dogs ever, so I don't knock the runts, I got a great one. :)
    Sasha was the smaller of the pups in her litter and she turned out great. Granted she is a mutt, she is the best dog I've ever owned. She actually turned out to be really calm. We were told her sister was an extremely hyper thing. The rescue even felt the sister was more adoptable and cuter because of her wirey coat and friendly outgoing personality. Well Sasha was adopted first and she had a smooth coat, was smaller, and had a very quiet and boring personality. Well she turned out to be one great dog still calm but has quite the personality but she just wasn't in an environment to really come out of her shell and show her personality. And she is healthy as a horse. Smaller is not always bad.

Nothing wrong with the smallest dog of the litter as long as the dog is healthy and not plagued with illness.

11. Cuddles, Notch, and Tess were all the "runt" of their litter (smallest).

12. If you mean the smallest pup, I think they can be the same as the others. However sometimes I think they may have more spunk because they may be bullied by the bigger ones and have to be stronger in personality. If you mean the sickly one, no I don't think they're the best choice.

My experience was with Athena's little. The biggest most massive pup I've ever seen was Athena's brother. However that dog was the most mellow lovable lug you'd ever meet. He wasn't all that bright and would even run into walls and trip over his own feet but a great dog. The runt (smallest) turned out to be a little brat with more personality than what's good for a dog to have. Athena was second smallest in size. To me she's perfect. She's small and compact and packs a lot in her little package. Looking at her people think she's maybe 30 lbs tops but really she's already in the 40s.

eagles prother pun was the runt of her litter (eagle being the "brute" if that means largest) and as far as cuteness hes definitly got it all lmao that hand nothing to do with it but as far as temperment hes very dog aggressive even at a fresh 5 months. idk why hes so aggressive but he is. hes still smaller than the resy of his siblings though.

I do not favor the pups one way or another. However I will add, some runts are most impressive. Unlike the bigger and stronger dogs the runt has to fight for everything it gets. So when you got a true runt in a litter and it survives on its own, that might just be a dog worth keeping.

Images
    When using 'runt' to say the smallest... I've always picked the runt. They have to fight harder for everything since birth... and that always draws me to something...

16. sorry for my ignorance,ive never heard the term " runt " used to describe a small pup.....over here the term would mean a physically inferior pup hence most would be culled......

clearly a difference in the terminology from country to country.

Images
    I've heard people say runt here to say the weakest/sickly one.

Quote Originally Posted by ColbyDogs View Post
    I do not favor the pups one way or another. However I will add, some runts are most impressive. Unlike the bigger and stronger dogs the runt has to fight for everything it gets. So when you got a true runt in a litter and it survives on its own, that might just be a dog worth keeping.
    Proven true in my experience. Twice

19. Quote Originally Posted by Budboy88 View Post
    My grandfathers rule was always keep atleast two dogs out of every litter you have. The runt and the brute, it always worked well for him so i did the same i kept the runt, the brute, and the two most hyper pups out of my litter and so far im not dissapointed.

For gamebreed.. that's also my take on that.. I choose the runt (smallest in the litter) and the biggest. In my experience.. the ugliest and the smallest turns out the best in performance.

For ambully.. they want to pick the runt (smallest in the litter) because it would turn out to be a pocket bully.

20. i dont breed and honestly every dog ive had on my yard over the last ten or so years has been over six months old, however when there has been a choice of a few "prospects" the dogs i am allways drawn to what was the runt of its litter!
    Kimba was the runt and she is by far the best all round dog i have ever had, full of fire as she should be , and a great dog with people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast