Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SAN DIEGO C.A/TIJUANA B.C
    Posts
    63
    Images
    2

    Constant chewing on tail

    I was hoping to get some direction on what to do. My girl indica is always chewing on her tail, and now I noticed that it now has underlying scabs on the start of her tail going down a little bit to the middle. When i touch her tail I can feel the rough old scabbing. What can I do to help her stop her chewing on it? Maybe hotspot spray? all natural remedies?? help!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    1,769
    Images
    2
    Its very difficult to stop usually as what might have started out as something that bothered the dog has now become a habit. They then just do it for fun,boredom,etc. Do something because if not you might end up having to get the tail docked. Some sort of spray that is not toxic but will deter the dog from chewing,tie its tail to its leg,go to the vet.Good luck.

  3. Does she drag her butt on the ground at all? Is it worse around the base near her anus? She might be having a problem with her anal glands. Or it may just be nerves/habit now.

  4. #4
    also fleas come to mind, flea allergies can be from one bite and have a dog biting the base of the tail for a long long time, I think an underlying issue, anal glans as mentioned, or fleas, could be the cause. I would try bitter apple spray on it to try to break the habit and let the skin heal, I would have her checked by a vet for fleas and her anal gland checked.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SAN DIEGO C.A/TIJUANA B.C
    Posts
    63
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by My pit is Sasha View Post
    Does she drag her butt on the ground at all? Is it worse around the base near her anus? She might be having a problem with her anal glands. Or it may just be nerves/habit now.
    yes she turns in 360 degree circles sitting and keeps going. lol kinda funny to watch, but not something that i want to become habit forming, and she mostly concentrates near the base of her tail, but is starting to chew entire tail.

    ---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Elliehanna View Post
    also fleas come to mind, flea allergies can be from one bite and have a dog biting the base of the tail for a long long time, I think an underlying issue, anal glans as mentioned, or fleas, could be the cause. I would try bitter apple spray on it to try to break the habit and let the skin heal, I would have her checked by a vet for fleas and her anal gland checked.
    where can i buy that "bitter apple spray?"

  6. #6
    Natures Miracle No-Chew Deterrent Spray - Behavior Modification - Training & Behavior - PetSmart
    I could not find the bitter apple I thought it was at petsmart, but I LOVE nature's Miracle stuff, it says it is able to be used on
    Safe to use on pets' hot spots, wounds, bandages, furniture, fabric & more
    so will be ok an the tail and whatnot

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SAN DIEGO C.A/TIJUANA B.C
    Posts
    63
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliehanna View Post
    Natures Miracle No-Chew Deterrent Spray - Behavior Modification - Training & Behavior - PetSmart
    I could not find the bitter apple I thought it was at petsmart, but I LOVE nature's Miracle stuff, it says it is able to be used on
    Safe to use on pets' hot spots, wounds, bandages, furniture, fabric & more
    so will be ok an the tail and whatnot
    cool im going to check it out right now. thanks alot:)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    1,769
    Images
    2
    It sounds like fleas/flea allergy if it is the base of tail that is the main problem.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Grand rapids,mi
    Posts
    460
    Titan was doing the same thing a few weeks ago, i said F it and had his glands released and got some frontline. 2 weeks later and we have 0 issues, not sure which of the 2 it was.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    17,545
    Images
    18
    Yeah, you might want to get the glands expressed.... and have the vet look at her tail to see if he can determine if there is an underlying problem besides the anal glands. let us know what you find out. :)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-25-2012, 11:57 AM
  2. Dead tail, limber tail common?
    By phillysmom in forum Health & Nutritional Care
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-15-2011, 09:34 AM
  3. Chewing of the tail.
    By sonyasaranee in forum Training & Behavior
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-21-2011, 05:05 PM
  4. tail issue: "stud tail" or supracaudal gland hyperplasia?
    By act284 in forum Health & Nutritional Care
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-21-2010, 07:58 PM
  5. my dogs chewing up her tail
    By spliff in forum Health & Nutritional Care
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-22-2009, 09:06 AM

Visitors found this page by searching for:

home remedies for dog chewing tail

dog chewing tail natural cure

home remedies for dog biting tail

scab on dogs tail

natural rememdy to stop dog biting tail

constant biting at end of dogs tail

pitbull-chat.com pitbull bitter apple

scabs above dogs tail

scabs at base of dogs tail

dog biting tail scabs

scabs on dog tail

home remedies stop dog chewing tail

dog scabs on tail

mastiff scabs on butt and base of tail

home remedy dog bitting tail

scabs on dogs tails

home remedy for dog chewing on tail

scabs on dogs tailwhat skin condition pitbulls biting tailscabs on tail dogdog biting tail raw greenblack scabs near tailHome remedies for dog biting base of taildog bites tail with scabslimp tail from chewingdark scab on pitbull tailscabs in dogs tailpitbull chewing tail makin scabsdog bites tail remedychewing tail home remediesscabs and constant chewing on a dogpitbull chewing at base of tailwhat to use on dogs with scabs on tailscab at base of tail dogblack scabs throughout my dogs tail

Bookmarks