Help with training 2 year old pit bull

I was looking for help with our little Chloe through a search engine. She is a great dog we adopted last year and she requires so much more time than we ever imagined. My first question to the group is about tug of war and the prey instinct. Chloe loves to tug, we have taught her the command "leave it" which she does most of the time. She just loves so much to tug and pull. she loves to hold a ball in her mouth and push against other dogs or even us. She likes to wrestle and have someone grab at the ball when it is in her mouth - she will not bite but holds on until we make her "leave it." she doesn't always let go - sometimes we have to take it from her, but we always make sure to get the ball last. She likes the feel of a hand on the side of her mouth - this has to simulate a feeling of prey by her mouth. She was a stray for quite a while so she must have had to kill to survive, but I don't for sure. To drain energy, we let her run on the treadmill, she runs 5-7.5 mph, and usually finishes her mile in 10 min. or less. She likes to tug on a toy rope as she runs, so we stand over her and pull the rope as she runs. It drains energy and she loves it, but is it bad for her. She is good as gold and nice to everyone, not a mean bone in her body. Are we training her wrong?

Welcome.

Images
    Hello and welcome, to Pit Bull Chat!!

We are glad you have come to Pitbull-chat.com to learn and share about the breed! You will find an unbelievable amount of great information here, as well as make some great friends who also share your love of the breed.

You have come to a great place to learn even more about the the pit bull. As I'm sure you already know, they are an AMAZING breed!! You will find tons of information here, and lots of people willing to help in any way we can!! Also, if you have any questions, do not hesitate to post them in either the General Dog Discussion section, or one of the other appropriate sections.

We look forward to you being a part of PBC and sharing your thoughts and experiences. You can contribute a lot to this forum, as well as learn a lot from bully breed owners who have years of experience. We here at pit bull-chat are always happy to help and offer helpful information whenever you may need us.

When you get a chance, please share pictures with us in the Photography & Artwork section. You will find that the members on here love sharing pictures of our furry family, and we would love to see pictures of your furry family as well. You can learn how to post pictures in our How to Post Pictures.

Also, if you happen to purchase any products from our sponsors, please be sure to add comments in our Products Review section. You can use the link to add comments about any products you purchase, and thank you for purchasing from one of our sponsors!

The members of Pit Bull Chat love to share and receive important information regarding pit bull related current events, and post & discuss topics related to pit bulls and their history and ownership. We also love the opportunity to meet and make new friends who have a common interest in our dogs. We also like to have a little fun every now and then and do fun things and participate in fun threads in the Chit Chat section. Be sure to check it out as well.
    We are a friendly bunch here and want to keep everything civilized, please remember that when posting or replying to any post.

Please take a moment to read the Forum Rules!

Again, welcome to pit bull-chat !!! We are glad you found us. Take a look around, have a good time, participate in the threads, and most of all, enjoy yourself!!

Images
    Welcome!

Images
    She's young, and has finally found someone she loves, and loves to play tug with. Every puppy I've ever had, loves to play tug! Mollie, Bella and the foster, Cooper, absolutely LOVE tug!! They are my 3 "pit bull" mixes... however, my Labs and Shih Tzu love to play tug as well. They don't have much they can play with, besides their teeth, and they feet. She just enjoys her game of tug, it doesn't mean she likes the feel of prey next to her mouth though... it means she loves you, and loves to feel your touch. :)

Thanks... We love her so much, we just want to do the right thing. I don't want to "overthink" this, but I don't want her to get bad habits. She played tug of war once at the park, and everyone said let them go, but it didn't sound right so the other owner and I stopped it. She plays with my Lab/Dalmatian and usually wins, but the growling they do was different. I avoid toys around other dogs, she takes them every time from any dog. She is very dominant.

Images
    Dog parks are a bad idea for a bully breed.

Pit Bulls and Dog Parks

Yep, I know... I don't take them any more, unless the park is empty, and I leave when a car pulls up. :-)

Images
    That's good. :)

You should post up some pics. :D

Chloe's Picture

I will give this a try....

This is Chloe:

http://www.pitbull-chat.com/picture....ictureid=16589

Welcome to PBC!