Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Musty Smell...AND Bad breath...

Does anyone know what will cause this? My Bugs is having a weird smell on his fur, it's kind of musty smelling. I will give him a bath and put him to sleep. In the morning he wakes up smelling musty. I've smelled his kennel over and over, and it does not smell like this. Could it be his new kibble, TOTW Pacific Stream???

Also his breath stinks???? Any reason why this is??

Thanks for the help...

Don't know about the fur, but pacific stream DEFINITELY makes their breath smell like fish. Usually bad breath is a sign of dental disease, but seeing as I brush Lily's teeth almost every day and they are quite clean, I'm going to say that the bad breath is from the food. I don't care though, because she's very healthy and her coat is soft and glowing.
    What are you using to bathe him? If you don't dry him thoroughly, he'll smell like wet dog. I've noticed as long as I dry Lily off most of the way, she'll smell fine, but if I let her air dry she gets that wet dog smell.

Images
    How old is he? Has he been neutered? If not, a male intact dog will give off a musky smell once they reach maturity.

Has he maybe peed in his crate?

You might want to give your vet a call and just inquire with them as to what could be causing it. Let us know what you find out.

Thought of something else- urine. Once had to clean a dog's sheath because my vet couldn't stand the smell he was giving off. Let me just say, that dog was none to happy about me being 'down there' messing with his junk. I still have nightmares.... :rolleyes:

LOL. Well he is going to be 5 months next week. He doesn't pee in his kennel any longer. And I've smelled his bedding OVER and OVER and no smell comes from it. I might not being drying him off quite enough????That might be the case. He is still young so I'm not sure about the reaching maturity thing, unless he is reaching it WAY young lol.

He is bathed in a hypoallergenic shampoo from the vet that smells like coconut. But lately this musty smell has been following baths. Like the next day....I'm stumped!

If he is smelly the day after a bath they it is a great possibility that you aren't drying him off thoroughly. When I give Mater a bath I always wash his bedding and blankets so that way he isn't laying on dirty stuff.

As for the smelly breath it could be his food or treats that you give him. I feed TOTW Pacific Stream and Mater's breath NEVER smells fishy.

Quote Originally Posted by mstngchic2012 View Post
    As for the smelly breath it could be his food or treats that you give him. I feed TOTW Pacific Stream and Mater's breath NEVER smells fishy.
    Really? Lily's does. But I have a feeling she digests her food verrrrry slowly (seeing as one time she threw up in the morning and it was food and she hadn't eaten since the night before (12hrs)). That could cause her breath to smell, I guess. :o

No, he actually has really clean breath and we don't brush his teeth. But he is a big time chewer. He'll sit and chew on his Nylabone, Kong, and shin bones all day long.

Yea, that'll do it. I can't trust Lily with anything. I just gave her and Liberty a CET chew, and within 2 minutes Lily tried to literally swallow her's whole, I had to pull it out of her throat. :rolleyes: One time I gave her a raw soup bone and she started breaking off pieces in only a few minutes. So the only way I can really keep her teeth clean is by brushing them.

What about the Souper bone from Nylabone? Mater loves his. Oh and huge floss ropes are great for cleaning teeth.

Images
    Dry thoroughly and get him use to the blow dryer. That seems to work best for us.

But if you're drying thoroughly and he still smells, is the musty smell sort of like dirty nasty socks? If so, it could be that he has a yeast infection? Is the smell coming from his ears?

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

Oh, and we feed TOTW too. Pacific Stream definately made their breath stink like fish but not too horrible, but it was enough to encourage me to start brushing their teeth! LOL I switched my one girl to the High Prairie and it is less stinky. I just started (this week) giving them a daily CET hextra chew. They LOVE LOVE LOVE them! I'm hopeful they will improve their breath. Otherwise we are very happy with TOTW.

I'm definitely liking the TOTW so far as well. I've come to a few conclusions based on every ones advice.

SO his ears sometimes stink, but I keep them fairly clean myself with two different products. But his ears don't smell like dirty gym socks. They have black dirt, etc.. in them when I clean them though. I believe this is fairly normal. The stench basically seems to come from the middle of his back, where his fur is the thickest. And I want to say it smells like he is laying on a wet towel.

Bet I need to dry him some more!!!

As for his breath, I threw away all his old rawhides, rawhide sticks, etc...He has a hard white plastic nylabone, a new kong(original), knotted rope, and a few bully sticks in the lineup for him. Will this do better on his teeth/breath you think???

I have a feeling it was the old rawhides he's BEEN chewing on for quite some time now.

Bubba had a mustyish smell on and off for awhile. We determined it was his anal glands. He would excrete a small when he was super nervous or happy. He stopped doing it, but it was nasty!

hmmm could it possibly be an anal gland issue? I know fishy smells come from that, I am wondering the age though, at 5 months I don't think it could be. Goren smelled a bit musty fishy, not to strong on the Pacific stream TOTW, it was not a lot I really did not notice, my fiance did but now he is on High Prairie and having no smell. I really have no thoughts other than maybe bad teeth/slow digestion and anal gland.

Quote Originally Posted by mstngchic2012 View Post
    What about the Souper bone from Nylabone? Mater loves his. Oh and huge floss ropes are great for cleaning teeth.
    I'll have to look into that. Although I'm not so certain she won't destroy the nylabone, you should see what she's done to her jolly ball in the past 2 days. :rolleyes: She can't have anything nice lol.

Images
    How often are you bathing him? I wouldn't bathe any more often than every 2 weeks. I only give mine a bath when they get muddy. Mollie hasn't had a bath in a few months. Bella got a quick outside bath the other night because she got muddy. Before that, she probably hadn't had a bath since spring.

I don't believe it's an anal gland issue. The reason I say this is because after a very thorough "smell-down" I've located the stinch! It's right in between his shoulder blades. It's very isolated and seems to be becoming less apparent. So I'm going to try another bath soon, VERY good dry and see what happens. Also I'm hoping the new treat collection will clean up the breath!

Quote Originally Posted by LilianaLove View Post
    I'll have to look into that. Although I'm not so certain she won't destroy the nylabone, you should see what she's done to her jolly ball in the past 2 days. :rolleyes: She can't have anything nice lol.
    We thought the same thing about the Nylabone but he's had his for about a year now and it has held up nicely - Mater is an avid chewer.

Images
    My baby Leo is 3mts & he has the same thing (musty b.o. smell) I am pretty sure it has somthing to do with allergies. I recently had to switch him from wellness puppy to perscription puppy food for gastro issues b/c he could clear the room with his terrible gas. The new food has corrected that but he still smells bad. I am going to bring it up at the vet this week ~ i'll probally have to get a skin test but i'll let you know what she says!!

I dont' think not drying 'enough' would have much to do with any lingering smell.... Could he be rolling in something in the yard/house with you are not looking?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast