Question baking soda for a UTI?

ok so the vet cant get indy in till next week so she has an appointment for monday she gets her rabbis shot and last set of puppy shots and all that good stuff....but a friend told me to mix a little baking soda in her water and it will clear her UTI up in a week...so i did and now she has diarrhea and im really hoping this baking soda cant hurt her :confused: i just did it once and then i saw she had the diarrhea so i haven't gave it to her again

i have no idea...but im curious too my friends dog has a uti...how much baking soda did you give her?

Never heard of that at all!!

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

Here ya go...
    sorry it's huge...

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

• Although symptoms may not always be present when a puppy has a UTI, many will whimper when urinating because of the pain they are experiencing. It can suggest that the infection has advanced. Dogs may also vomit or stop eating completely, which causes them to lose weight when suffering from a UTI.

You may also notice a change in your puppy's urinating schedule, characterized by either increased or decreased urination. Your pup may also be going to the bathroom in inappropriate places. If this is uncommon, it is a sign of a UTI. You may also notice your dog will drink excessive amounts of water. Blood in the urine and a foul smell also indicate a UTI.

If your puppy is continually trying to urinate and cannot go, he probably has a UTI.

Home Remedies

• Step 1:
      Orange juice neutralizes the bacteria in the urine, which can help with the pain your puppy experiences when urinating

Apple cider vinegar can have the same effect as the orange juice. Add 1/2 tsp. of apple cider vinegar to your dog's food once per day, or to your dog's water.

Tomato juice with oregano oil may also treat a UTI by balancing the pH level. Tomato juice is acidic, which will create a less than ideal environment for bacteria to thrive and lessen the pain your puppy experiences when urinating.

Garlic is a natural antibiotic. It is not recommended to give your puppy raw garlic, so check with your vet about which garlic supplements are safe.

Rose hips, which are a good source of Vitamin C, will increase the acidity of your puppy's urine. Contact your vet to ensure this supplement is OK for your pet.

Baking soda will also raise the acidity of your puppy's urine. Put 1/2 tsp. of baking soda in your pup's 12 oz. water bowl.

An over-the-counter homeopathic remedy, UTI-Free, is offered in pinch-sized doses dependent upon the weight of your puppy.

Prevention

• Step 1:
      Take your puppy for walks or let her out to go to the bathroom frequently. Holding it will cause bacteria to build and make its way to the urethra.

Ensure your dog has easy access to a water supply. Water will encourage more urination, which will clean the bacteria away. Most importantly, make sure this water is not contaminated.

Bathing your dog on a weekly basis will ensure bacteria will not get into the urethra.

Offer your dog orange juice. The citrus will cause your dog's urine to become more acidic, which will help clean the bacteria. Your dog may not like the taste of orange juice, so be sure to dilute it with water.

Take your dog for regular checkups. This will ensure the best
      • Although symptoms may not always be present when a puppy has a UTI, many will whimper when urinating because of the pain they are experiencing. It can suggest that the infection has advanced. Dogs may also vomit or stop eating completely, which causes them to lose weight when suffering from a UTI.

You may also notice a change in your puppy's urinating schedule, characterized by either increased or decreased urination. Your pup may also be going to the bathroom in inappropriate places. If this is uncommon, it is a sign of a UTI. You may also notice your dog will drink excessive amounts of water. Blood in the urine and a foul smell also indicate a UTI.

If your puppy is continually trying to urinate and cannot go, he probably has a UTI.

Home Remedies

• Step 1:
        Orange juice neutralizes the bacteria in the urine, which can help with the pain your puppy experiences when urinating

Apple cider vinegar can have the same effect as the orange juice. Add 1/2 tsp. of apple cider vinegar to your dog's food once per day, or to your dog's water.

Tomato juice with oregano oil may also treat a UTI by balancing the pH level. Tomato juice is acidic, which will create a less than ideal environment for bacteria to thrive and lessen the pain your puppy experiences when urinating.

Garlic is a natural antibiotic. It is not recommended to give your puppy raw garlic, so check with your vet about which garlic supplements are safe.

Rose hips, which are a good source of Vitamin C, will increase the acidity of your puppy's urine. Contact your vet to ensure this supplement is OK for your pet.

Baking soda will also raise the acidity of your puppy's urine. Put 1/2 tsp. of baking soda in your pup's 12 oz. water bowl.

An over-the-counter homeopathic remedy, UTI-Free, is offered in pinch-sized doses dependent upon the weight of your puppy.

Prevention

• Step 1:
        Take your puppy for walks or let her out to go to the bathroom frequently. Holding it will cause bacteria to build and make its way to the urethra.

Ensure your dog has easy access to a water supply. Water will encourage more urination, which will clean the bacteria away. Most importantly, make sure this water is not contaminated.

Bathing your dog on a weekly basis will ensure bacteria will not get into the urethra.

Offer your dog orange juice. The citrus will cause your dog's urine to become more acidic, which will help clean the bacteria. Your dog may not like the taste of orange juice, so be sure to dilute it with water.

Take your dog for regular checkups. This will ensure the best possibility for catching any health conditions early.

Resources

Home Remedies for a Puppy With UTI Provided by eHow.com
      More Puppy Pages

Natural Cures for Canine Urinary Tract Infections

Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are among the most common health problems that can afflict a dog. UTI-in-Dogs.com reports that about 14 percent of all dogs worldwide will develop this disorder at some point in their lives. Early diagnosis and treatment...
      Read More

How to Treat UTI in Puppies

Urinary tract infections are not uncommon in puppies. Many dog guardians don't realize their puppies have a UTI until they become frustrated because the puppy isn't making progress with house-training. A puppy---especially a female puppy---has a very...
      Read More

Signs & Symptoms of UTI in Dogs

Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs) are painful and uncomfortable conditions for dogs. The most common cause of UTIs is bacteria, but the occasional viral or fungal infection also can occur. A UTI is an infection that infects any part of the urinary tract...
      Read More

Home Treatment for a Cat Urinary Tract Infection

Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are one of the most common ailments in domestic cats. Often UTIs have no distinct cause and can be frustrating for both the veterinarian and the owner when looking for a solution. Although most UTIs require antibiotic...
      Read More

Urinary Infections in Dogs

Urinary infection--also knowns as UTIs or cystitis--is a bacterial infection of the lining of the bladder. In its early stages, it is possible for a UTI to resolve itself without veterinary intervention, but it is important to monitor and treat a urinary...
      Read More

possibility for catching any health conditions early.

Resources

More Puppy Pages

Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are among the most common health problems that can afflict a dog. UTI-in-Dogs.com reports that about 14 percent of all dogs worldwide will develop this disorder at some point in their lives. Early diagnosis and treatment...
    Read More

Urinary tract infections are not uncommon in puppies. Many dog guardians don't realize their puppies have a UTI until they become frustrated because the puppy isn't making progress with house-training. A puppy---especially a female puppy---has a very...
    Read More

Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs) are painful and uncomfortable conditions for dogs. The most common cause of UTIs is bacteria, but the occasional viral or fungal infection also can occur. A UTI is an infection that infects any part of the urinary tract...
    Read More

Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are one of the most common ailments in domestic cats. Often UTIs have no distinct cause and can be frustrating for both the veterinarian and the owner when looking for a solution. Although most UTIs require antibiotic...
    Read More

Home Remedies

• Step 1:

Prevention

• Step 1:

Take your dog for regular checkups. This will ensure the best possibility for catching any health conditions early.

Resources

More Puppy Pages

Read More

Read More

Read More

Read More

Urinary infection--also knowns as UTIs or cystitis--is a bacterial infection of the lining of the bladder. In its early stages, it is possible for a UTI to resolve itself without veterinary intervention, but it is important to monitor and treat a urinary...
    Read More

Read More

Quote Originally Posted by Hucklebutt View Post
    i have no idea...but im curious too my friends dog has a uti...how much baking soda did you give her?
    i gave her a quarter teaspoon in 24 oz of water ( of course she didnt drink it all at once llol)

---------- Post added at 03:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 AM ----------

well apparently i need less water and more baking soda lol. I was just nervous so i didnt wanna put too much. Then i really questioned it when she got diarrhea ehhh i gotta stop worrying so much i guess lol