1. Driving through 5 states w/ Pit Bull and not sure of local laws

Hey all! New to this site, so I apologize if I'm repeating a question that's already been answered. We're moving from Arizona to Illinois, and we're driving there with our 2 cats and female pit bull. I have looked up BSL info for the states on the following site, http://www.understand-a-bull.com/BSL...SLocations.htm, but will we be fined because we're just driving through a city that bans or restricts pit bulls? She's fixed, current on all vaccines, but does anyone know if we could still be "in trouble" by just her presence? I can't seem to find the right site online for this info. Thanks for the advice, fellow pit bull lovers!

I wondered about this too... I can't imagine driving through could be illegal but I look forward to seeing what responses you get.

Well, whenever you travel with an animal you should have it UTD on all the vaccinations and have the papers proving it.
    As far as going through BSL infested areas, first I would avoid it at all costs, if you have to go through the area just limit your stops to a potty break, and make sure your dog is on the leash and controlled.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it. Some areas have the law worded so that anyone even passing through can have their dog confiscated and some areas don't. Unless you are willing to look up the ordinance for each town/city/county you are passing through just avoid the places with BSL altogether.

5. Stop and potty the dog in an out-of-the-way place just before a populated area. Then put the dog in a crate for your trip through the city and don't speed.

If you are going to stop and eat (or potty yourself!), have the dog in crate before you get out of the car and do not take the dog out before you go inside.

In other words, don't take dog out when there are people around.

Carla

Ohio is known for BSL laws and as far as I know as long as the dog doesn't not reside in the city then the dog should be fine. I go to Cincinnati with Mater a lot and Cincinnati has BSL.

7. Wow! Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm glad I found this site; we really love our little girl, and it's great to find a place where everyone has the same love for their pit bulls. I'm going to research further based off of where we'll p$#@! through and try to stay under the radar...but, this BSL is ridiculous; I can't believe I have to add this to my list of concerns for driving across country! Fix the bad owners! Have a good night, everyone!
    Last edited by desertlova; 07-13-2010 at 10:27 PM.

great advice i moved from arizona to oklahoma and did the same bsl search as u and another good site to visit is dogfriendly.com u can map out your trip and it will tell u dogfriendly rest stops and restrants without door padios to eat they alsotryto mention if there is any bsl laws.

Some BSL locations have laws that state your dog could be taken, you fined etc if passing through without first letting the police know that youre passing through. like someone else said, just dont get yourself into a situation where youll get pulled over.

10. Quote Originally Posted by desertlova View Post
    Hey all! New to this site, so I apologize if I'm repeating a question that's already been answered. We're moving from Arizona to Illinois, and we're driving there with our 2 cats and female pit bull. I have looked up BSL info for the states on the following site, http://www.understand-a-bull.com/BSL...SLocations.htm, but will we be fined because we're just driving through a city that bans or restricts pit bulls? She's fixed, current on all vaccines, but does anyone know if we could still be "in trouble" by just her presence? I can't seem to find the right site online for this info. Thanks for the advice, fellow pit bull lovers!
    The biggest danger is rest stops in BSL areas like Colorado and Ohio. There are signs saying "picnic areas" where very few people stop because there are no bathrooms for humans. They would be your best bet if driving through a BSL area. But of course the best solution is plan your trips so that you don't go through Colorado, Ohio and other BSL states.

11. Good luck with your travels.

I would think that traveling with your dog would fall under that act that is federal that makes it illegal to charge out of state residents with state only traffic laws, like how a person from KY does not need a license plate on a trailer (I think I am right on the state) and if they go into IN they cannot be charged for not having a license plate on that trailer. That law should cover passing through a state I am sure and protect your animals, but I would not stop and let the animal out to go potty in a BSL area because then they might be able to say you were not passing through you were stopped.

I'm from Ohio and the state doesn't care if you are passing through. I was actually going to be taking Mater to a protection club in Cincinnati that has BSL and as long as the dog doesn't reside in the city he is protected.

14. Coming from AZ to IL. I can tell you that you will be ok in TX, KS, MO and IL. Colorado could be an issue for you if you are coming that way.

Be sure you keep your vaccination paperwork handy.

Is your plan to go from AZ through NM or CO into KS or TX?

As much as I hate this site, it is useful for this situation:

d o g s b i t e -dot- o r g (remove the spaces and dashes)

Under their tab for legislation, you can search by state and there are links to the actual municipal codes so you can see specifically what the wording of the ordinances are. Some places have outright breed bans whereas some places have regulations like mandatory S/N or muzzling, etc.

I too looked on understand-a-bull.com but it does not further link or always specify nature of BSL in particular areas.

We recently took a road trip and were in WA which is dotted with BSL. I just made sure that if we passed through a particular city with BSL, we did not take our dog out of the car. We also kept her vet records and licensing info in a binder with us in the car at all times.