Biting and licking near butthole

As of the last 2-3 days Titan has been nipping/licking his butthole/base of tail. Today I noticed he has got it red under the hair on the tail and his butthole is nearly raw. Diet has been the same for the last 3 weeks. Going to give vet a call tomorrow just seeing what your opinions were first

not sure if this matters as well but he's been sleeping more lately the last few days as well

2. Worms?

Images
    Could it possibly be a hot spot? Could be allergies, he may have gotten bitten by something. Let us know what the vet says, I hope every thing is ok and it's nothing serious.

Or could be issues with anal glands...

^^ That was my thought also. Unless you feel like trying to express his anals or checking to make sure something's not stuck (like a blade of gr$#@! or something), then I'd say call your vet.

6. Quote Originally Posted by mstngchic2012 View Post
    Or could be issues with anal glands...
    Oh man, I used to have to manually express Sasha's but haven't had any problem with them in so long I forgot they have them.

That could do it.

Hope it's nothing serious! For his sake and mine, been a rough week...

tapeworms? but you probably would have seen pieces of them in the feces though

You can try and express them yourself:

Images
    I also didn't think about the anal glands.... does he look swollen around his bottom?

Got his glands done today, vet said they were the size of small grapes? (my GF brought the dog i couldnt go)

Also sold her a 4 month supply of advantage and said that's a possible cause as well

awh poor thing! so are we supposed to be expressing the glands? I don't take trina in for grooming.. I give her baths myself...

13. Normally if your dog has good firm stool then as they defecate it presses on the glands and expresses them as part of their elimination.

The openings can get blocked which can cause them to backup, but the usual cause is soft stools that don't press on the glands enough to push the fluid out.

Doing it yourself isn't difficult, but it does smell. When I have had to do it I put the dog in the tub. I have one of those hosed shower heads so I can move it around to spray them. So, express the glands, rinse the fluids down the drain, wash off the dogs butt and rear legs.

A tube of plain lubricant and a box of latex gloves is all you need.

BUT, there are those who say that doing it manually when it is not needed can contribute to problems where they then require constant manual expression so unless you really think you need to do it I would not do it yourself, most groomers will do it if needed, the vet can always tell you if it is a problem area for your dog (some breeds are really bad, Beagles for example).

Quote Originally Posted by Trinasmom View Post
    awh poor thing! so are we supposed to be expressing the glands? I don't take trina in for grooming.. I give her baths myself...
    MY GF never told me if they said how often it should be done, i'll have to ask her when i get home from work.

Quote Originally Posted by My pit is Sasha View Post

A tube of plain lubricant and a box of latex gloves is all you need.
    I don't know why that made me giggle.