Why wont my puppy walk on a leash?

My puppy is great. I let him outside on my front yard with no fence and he knows his areas. He comes when I call him and everything. He doesn't run off wild or anything..He walks by my side with no leash.

The minute I put a leash on him, he just sits there and doesn't move. Is there anything I can do??? Why does he behave that way? He is 3 months old.

It's normal. Leave the leash on him without holding it and have him play in the yard til he'll move :p Don't start working on heeling and stuff til he is more comfortable and NEVER just pull him 9/10 times it just makes it worse.

He just needs to get used to it. Put a one foot long leash on him and leave it on when you can supervise. Make him pull it around and get used to it. He will figure it out.

Also, even though he is being really good, having him out loose is a bad idea. If he spooks or finds something interesting, he could wind up in big trouble.

The day is coming when he will test the waters and boundries. You will want a leash on him when that arrives. And it may arrive without warning.

Images

cause you didnt train it to walk on a leash. dog doesnt understand english or what that thing you have him attached to is....

Quote Originally Posted by brindlexpitt View Post
    cause you didnt train it to walk on a leash. dog doesnt understand english or what that thing you have him attached to is....

I use lots of treats when first starting pups out on a leash.. it's always worked for me.

If they decide to throw a tantrum and lay down and not move, well, they make good brooms. I know that sounds mean but I will only pull them (in gr$#@! or on carpet, never a hard surface) for a few feet and they generally get the picture that it's a lot more comfortable to stand up and walk.

Images
    Remember hes still at the age where puppies cling to your every move. He'll soon start to explore and thats where good training comes in. Good luck!!!:)

8. Quote Originally Posted by kady05 View Post

If they decide to throw a tantrum and lay down and not move, well, they make good brooms. I know that sounds mean but I will only pull them (in gr$#@! or on carpet, never a hard surface) for a few feet and they generally get the picture that it's a lot more comfortable to stand up and walk.
    i agree if he stops keep going. i see someone said if you pull them you create more problems. I have never seen a dog have a problem from the pulling. and it usually only takes a second for the pup to get the ideal.

I guess everyone missed the fact that the OP lets his puppy walk around his unfenced front yard unrestrained......
    To the OP, please don't do that anymore, unless you like putting up 'lost dog' signs or paying for vet bills after he's been hit by a car or goes after someone's pet or gets into a scrap with a wild animal or...... etc. You get my point.

As for the leash thing- I agree with everyone that he doesn't know what it is or what you want him to do with it. Dogs don't just automatically know how to walk on a leash. It takes time, patience, and training.
    The more he's on it, the more comfortable he'll be.