Horse Fly Spray on Dogs??

Does anyone or has anyone used horse fly spray on their dogs? I have been looking into it because the horse fly spray uses the same ingredients as most of the leading flea and tick preventatives for dogs BUT the spray is so much cheaper. Any opinions or experiences are appreciated :)

Images
    I use stuff that is for horses to keep flies off their ears in the summer. I couldn't tell you what it has in it but it stinks and stains(reddish-purply) but works very well. Don't know if that's what your talking about.

For fleas and things in general have started with stuff for cattle called Butox and it has the same active ingredient as Scalibor collars.

Images
    It looks alright although I couldn't figure out if it is made up already or you have to do it your self. Or how much is in it.

Just looked at the stuff I use and the only ingredient it says it has in it is 'bone oil', whatever that is.

It is already made up and ready to use.

Images
    Can you not get a pyrethrin based one that you have to make up as it works out a lot cheaper. Few hundred litres for 20 odd bucks.

Oh yeah you can get it in a really high concentrate and dilute it.

I've never used that brand to know if it works or not.
    There is an all natural fly spray that I used with good success on foals that would probably be safe for dogs....if I could remember the name of it.
    On my horses I used Flysect Super 7, it worked really well and lasted several days.

Here are a couple that say they are safe for dogs
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622

http://www.statelinetack.com/item/at...ray/SLT901115/

The link I posted said that it is safe to use on dogs. I'm going to give it a shot and see how it works. It is so much cheaper than the flea and tick preventatives for dogs.

I use Pet-Guard by Virbac. It isn't cheap but it lasts forever and works really well.

Quote Originally Posted by 2mnydgs View Post
    I use Pet-Guard by Virbac. It isn't cheap but it lasts forever and works really well.
    Where can you find it or do you order it off the internet?

They sell it at vet clinics and off the internet. I swear by the stuff. And you apply it with your hands, so it's pretty safe.

Good stuff.

I looked it up and the price isn't that bad - cheaper than Frontline or Advantix. I might give it a shot.

What size container do you use? And how long does it last for you?
    Last edited by mstngchic2012; 07-04-2010 at 10:38 AM.

My 8 ounce bottle lasts me the whole summer on two dogs, but I only use it on the days when the deer flies or mosquitos are really a problem. I probably put it on three times a week.

It's good stuff. I still use frontline for ticks though. Advantix didn't keep the deer flies away. It wasn't great for mosquitos either.

I only frontline my dogs May, June, and sometimes July. Tick High Season. Once they fade, I stop using it and just check the dogs. Sometimes I use it in September if there's a late resurgence.

15. The Bronco horse stuff works WONDERS on dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowwolf View Post
    The Bronco horse stuff works WONDERS on dogs.
    I like Bronco and Pyrahna horse spray.

17. I used to buy the all-natural marigold spray for my horse...he never set hoof near the chemical crap.

18. I use Bronco E.

Quote Originally Posted by Chapstickglue View Post
    I used to buy the all-natural marigold spray for my horse...he never set hoof near the chemical crap.
    We have Marigolds planted and will also be planting some lavender, too to cut down on any fleas in our yard :) Right now, the "kids" are rockin' food grade Diatomaceous Earth for flea/tick control.