Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Fur Color Changing??

Cleo has patches of fur that are changing to a really light brown color... Does anyone know why this is happening? Is it normal? It just started a few days ago. At first I thought it was dirt, but then when I tried to wash it off, it just stayed there. So, I finally realized it was her fur!

it happens.

Czar has the same problem(not sure if it is a problem), especially in his hind legs, and i see him lick that area all the time continuously, so i figured it could be due to him licking it, i am not sure really.

4. yeah dogs fur can change, esp as they mature because if i am not mistaken cleo is not full grown yet

Yeah she's only 8 months...I've never had a dog change color before though. Could it maybe be from the sun??

Quote Originally Posted by pink_princess View Post
    Yeah she's only 8 months...I've never had a dog change color before though. Could it maybe be from the sun??
    never? all my dogs have. summer and winter months can change a dogs fur color also. but they change color lots.

Well, not as significantly noticable as hers...

Quote Originally Posted by Fieldmarshal View Post
    Czar has the same problem(not sure if it is a problem), especially in his hind legs, and i see him lick that area all the time continuously, so i figured it could be due to him licking it, i am not sure really.
    The saliva has enzymes that cause the color to change. He could be licking due to allergies of some kind.

Pink Princess - In what areas is Cleo's hair changing?

Her neck, shoulders, and back...

In the summer Rileys shoulders and back turn blonde. I think it is more of the weather change?

Goren's changed so much that it's hard to tell he is the same dog as his puppy photos, he had almost light red (fawn?) hair when I got him, now he is a diluted Meril (I like that description that someone suggested on here) with grey/blue neck, red/brown back strip, red paws to the ankle, and gray on the sides...I tell you this because they change a lot. I look at a photo from 14 weeks, and 6 months and he has changed, then now at just over a year and he changed again and is a combo of the 2 colors.

12. Quote Originally Posted by pink_princess View Post
    Her neck, shoulders, and back...
    Yep, both my dogs did the same thing. My male had dark brown to black hair come up on his tail and light patches on his neck, shoulders, and back. The dark went away and the light is gone. It may have to do with the chaining of the hair from soft puppy to coarse adult hair. I have also seen it change in some dogs with the seasons.

Lucy's black. But from her hours of basking in the hot sun everyday since May, she's light brown on her back legs, neck and sides. She'll be black again come winter.

14. Quote Originally Posted by brindlexpitt View Post
    never? all my dogs have. summer and winter months can change a dogs fur color also. but they change color lots.
    i also notice the color change during season changes

Images
    It's probably her summer coat so to speak. My Jenny (RIP) was light in the summer and really darkish red in the summer.

Of course she wasn't a bully breed she was a rottie mix. Rudy our terrier mix is really blonde this summer. I have noticed Dixie getting light brown on her too and I think it's probably from the season as well. :) I wouldn't worry too much about it; it's perfectly normal.

The brown isn't mud she just had dirt on her tongue.

Just the other day.
    Last edited by Krista; 07-02-2010 at 02:42 PM.

Ginger has gone through that...it got really blond and coarse along her shoulder and neck area. It was actually pretty freaky looking.

Rex has the same thing happen - in winter he's really black but in summer he's a brownish color. It happens and I wouldn't worry really.

Loki is another one who is also changing.. she was just straight black and white but now she has her dads tan colour coming through on her neck behind her ears and on her rump.

I've seen it happen with Border Collies that spend a lot of time out in the sun. They can go from black to brownish over the summer. Blue is just a dilute of black, if I understand correctly, so it makes sense that it would happen to blue dogs, too.

And red ones turning a lighter red during the summer.

it's from the sun exposure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast