1. illegal to keep dog on chain?

has anyone heard of this happening i keep my dog in a kennel when i am not home so it doesnt apply to me but in the city limits i live in it is illegal to have a dog on a chain or run line in the city limits is this good bad or crazy just curious

Images
    Where do you live?

Images
    Some cities are doing the no tethering thing. It's the whole opinion that tethering makes dogs mean. If your city has a no tethering law, then violating it would mean fines. It's really sad that the "smart people" can't realize that tethering is the only way to contain jumpers and diggers. A proper tie out is responsible way to contain some escape artists. Too bad the people that p$#@! the laws can't understand this.

4. It seems to be getting more common. The PETA and HSUS crowd thinks they are protecting the animals by getting laws like this passed.

In the case of bad owners they may help a very small percentage of dogs with this, but all they are really doing is crippling the good owners by limiting the options they have for keeping their dogs safe.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Krista View Post
    Where do you live?
    small city in northeast ga

mine used to have a no tethering law.. though they claimed at the time that you were still allowed to tether, just not to anything man made.. so to a tree?! lol luckily they changed it, though its still a bit rediculous.

Images
    All anti-tethering laws do is make the dog abusers take the dogs inside and put them in small crates for days at a time, nobody sees them, they don't get fed and you never know because you just don't see them anymore. It truly is a new fad to p$#@! anti-tethering laws, a lot of places are doing it, and it is hurting those truly responsible people who are trying to contain their dog in a safe manner for both their dog and others. IMO anti-tethering is the first step toward BSL.

8. Quote Originally Posted by sparksm85 View Post
    All anti-tethering laws do is make the dog abusers take the dogs inside and put them in small crates for days at a time, nobody sees them, they don't get fed and you never know because you just don't see them anymore. It truly is a new fad to p$#@! anti-tethering laws, a lot of places are doing it, and it is hurting those truly responsible people who are trying to contain their dog in a safe manner for both their dog and others. IMO anti-tethering is the first step toward BSL.

I agree. Most of the anti-tethering stuff I've seen focuses on the fact that a few real winners just tie a dog out and leave it there, day in, day out, rain or shine, and of course this is a terrible practice. Their argument is that even if proper shelter, water, and food are provided, that dogs are social animals that shouldn't be spending their entire lives confined to the end of a chain. I'd agree with that, too. But it's utterly ridiculous to say that responsible owners should NEVER tie a dog out.

However, in this day and age, I would think long and hard before I tied a dog out just because I'd be worried about theft. If your pit bull is everybody's friend, it would be all too easy to cut a chain and grab the dog. I live in a large, urban area and I've seen the way some of the local hoods eye my dog, even pointing him out to each other. I'd love to think they're just admiring his swimmer's physique, but I wasn't born yesterday. So I can't leave my dog unattended outside for any reason whatsoever.

But if I lived in a little town in Georgia I'd probably have the king of all dog lines!

9. Quote Originally Posted by Twinkie's mom View Post
    I live in a large, urban area and I've seen the way some of the local hoods eye my dog, even pointing him out to each other. I'd love to think they're just admiring his swimmer's physique, but I wasn't born yesterday. So I can't leave my dog unattended outside for any reason whatsoever.
    Ain't life grand? Even when you have your dog properly contained that doesn't mean it is safe.

10. Quote Originally Posted by My pit is Sasha View Post
    Ain't life grand? Even when you have your dog properly contained that doesn't mean it is safe.
    Fortunately, Twinkie's a "velcro dog" anyway so he'd be unhappy to be alone anyway, but yeah. It kind of stinks.

Images
    I do not like the no tethering laws but at the same time I understand the reasoning. We have alot of Irresponsible owners of dogs here in the States and people buy cute puppys they grow up and start tearing up the house the people get bored with the dog and out it goes into the yard On a Walmart special chain setup away from the house because people are to lazy to pickup dog $#@! and it smells so put it as far away as you can and then we stop going out as much to see the dog so he is getting less time spent with him we are not feeding the dog today he will be fine I feed him yesterday and its just to far to walk. It rained last night he should have water he will be OK I will feed him Tomorrow just to tired today and tomorrow starts coming less frequently. so the dogs is now being neglected and the neighbor kids have started throwing rocks at him on the way home from School. and then he has had it and breaks the chain and attacks the neighbor kid. This happens all the time go around and look in some back yards at the conditions of the dogs. Breed does not matter its all dogs. and then everyone else pays for the irresponsible idiots maybe if we start Kicking the Crap out of that Neighbor that is Neglecting his dog instead of having animal control come in we can cure this. But every responsible Dog Owner must Join in the cause and you must start looking for these circumstances and you must Kick the crap out of that person that is neglecting his dog and you must make it your responsibility to do it every day until he or she changes or rehomes that dog and Please remember you can get other neighbors to join in and you all kick the $#@! out of them. This is the only way we can take back control of our pets. Irresponsible people have allowed all these agencys the opportunity to form to make money and allowed them to have this amount of Influence on our lives as pet Owners. How long does it continue ?? Responsible pet owners have to stop it. I disapprove of Dog fighting but I know in the hands of a good Dogman that is going to Match/Fight That dog that dog is still better off then being with the irresponsible owner that will chain and forget him

12. I have a law like this where I live. Your dog can only be chained up for 12 hours a day. i live in east atlanta

We don't have an anti-tethering law where I live and if they tried it I would fight tooth and nail. My dogs are good about staying in the yard, but my family own a few dogs that have to be tethered or they escape. Yes, even a 6ft privacy fence isn't much of a hurdle for them.

In all honesty I think these tethering laws are $#@! and a waste of AC time. I especially love the laws that have specifics like "no more than 4 hours in a 24 hour period". Well, hell, I don't like my neighbors or their dogs so I can just call AC and make a complaint. Now AC has to come out and har$#@! my neighbor. I can't prove the dog was out for more than 4 hours, but the dog owner can't prove it wasn't. What a great way to waste ACO time when they could be out doing some good elsewhere.

Besides, anti-cruelty and neglect laws already cover the people who tether dogs without food, water,shelter or care. So there is no need to ban tethering altogether or place ridiculous limits on it.

And the anti-tethering people forget that some dogs prefer to be outside. My Aunts dogs love her, but they hate being in the house. They are Mastiff sized mutts with long hair that literally have to be forced to come in the house if the weather is too hot or too cold and then they whine at the door for hours. Not all dogs outside for hours on end are being neglected. Some of them actually prefer it that way.