Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best way to dry dog after bath?

I was wanting to see how everyone dries their dog off after a bath. I've been using a shammy(or whatever you call it) to get some of the water off, then a regular towel to try to get the rest. The problem is she still feels damp 20-30 minutes afterward. You're not supposed to blow dry dogs with short hair, right? Just looking to see if anyone had a better way.

I try to bathe my dogs on sunny days. 1. because they won't get all muddy if it rains. 2. I can towel them off, brush my longer haired dogs, and go sit in the sun with them until they're dry. Unless it's winter. Then I just towel them several times.

But I aim for seasonal baths only (4 a year). Dogs are supposed to be little dirty, and I don't want them to lose all those essential oils that keep their skin healthy.

a towel. i really dont care if my dogs are wet. lol

Quote Originally Posted by brindlexpitt View Post
    a towel. i really dont care if my dogs are wet. lol
    Yeah, the house is going to smell like wet dog no matter what, and they'll shake what's left of the water off everywhere anyway!

5. I used to be a professional doggy swim instructor so here is my ultra professional method ;)

Have the dog shake it out...most will do it instantly, older dogs you have to wait a second for them. The more they shake, the less you dry.

Then towel! Do one swipe down the back, really scrub the chest and belly, move to the shoulders and neck, wrap towel around each foot and squeeze lightly then dry backwards up the leg, buff their back and then wipe the head down gently.

Then grab a "shamwow" to dry the coat back into it's proper direction, smoothing all the hairs you ruffed up...use firm pressure and it'll soak up the excess. Work it through the underside of their neck and down their chest once more - that's where their coat holds all the water.

Bam! Dry doggy!

PS I think you can blowdry any dog.

This weekend was 'bath weekend' for me, so I just did this. All I do is let them shake off a few times, then towel dry. I then let them dry in their crates for about an hour (I bathe them before I get my shower) while I do things around the house. Mine are usually 90% dry by then!

I use a forced air dry on all of my dogs. It dries them in a matter of minutes. It also works great to blow the dust and dirt off of them, so I can bath them less often.

I towel dry mine, then turn them loose in the backyard. They have after-bath zoomies and air dry themselves. LOL
    Their hair is so short, on nice days, they dry really quick.

When I worked at the other animal hospital we had a blow dryer that was built into the wall. It didn't get hot, just warm ambient air. Some dogs HATED it, some dogs LOVED it, and some dogs were indifferent. Whenever a dog would let me use it, I used it. I would never get the dog dry, but it really helped with dogs with thick undercoats dry faster.
    Then I would towel dry the underside, legs, feet, and chest, since when I stuck them back in the cage those wouldn't be exposed to the air. Then we had cage dryers that we stuck on the front of the cage and left those on for a little while (we also used them to heat up surgery patients).

For Lily (I don't bathe Liberty at home), I literally ring her out, like squeeze the water out of her tail and out of her legs, then I towel dry the best I can, then I let her go out through the rest of the house and roll around on the carpets lol.

The main thing to remember is that after the bath, make sure to clean out the ears so that any excess water doesn't remain in the ears (that can cause infections).

10. Quote Originally Posted by omgrobyn View Post
    Dogs are supposed to be little dirty, and I don't want them to lose all those essential oils that keep their skin healthy.
    As a groomer, I have to disagree with this. If you are using a shampoo that is professional quality, pH balanced, and gentle, you will not strip the natural oils.

Bruschi has environmental allergies, and frequent (weekly) bathing is the best thing to soothe his itchy skin and rid his skin of the allergens.

Quote Originally Posted by pittiemama View Post
    As a groomer, I have to disagree with this. If you are using a shampoo that is professional quality, pH balanced, and gentle, you will not strip the natural oils.

Bruschi has environmental allergies, and frequent (weekly) bathing is the best thing to soothe his itchy skin and rid his skin of the allergens.
    Can I ask what type of shampoo would work for such frequent use? I worked as a bather and we had a few dogs who came in weekly but I cant remember what shampoos they used (owner provided stuff). But Harley has allergy issues and bathing helps him out a lot with his allergies (gr$#@! and something else appears to be starting up that I havnt figured out yet) but I usually wash him once a month and wipe him down with puppy wipes anytime he comes in contact with gr$#@! but its bad right now, if I forget or miss a spot he is miserable and Id love to be able to wash him more often to help his poor itchy body

As far as drying, I first let the dog shake off themselves then I use my hands and wipe excess water off from the belly and chest and squeeze the legs/feet to get the excess water off then Harley usually shakes again then Ill towel him really well. When the weather is colder Ill put my hair dryer on cool air and get any excess water off so that hes just lightly damp then I let him air dry

Images
    I towel dry Abby then use the Shamwow and get her fairly dry
    Marlo I squeeze the water out of his fur then I towel him then Blow dry I have also found brushing him during the Blow dry really help him dry faster

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 PM ----------

really want to get a forced air system but not in the budget right now so use a regular blow dryer on medium does not get very hot I can let it blow on my skin forever and never get Painful hot

Images
    Tie them up on a sunny day or go for a walk on a less sunny one.

Quote Originally Posted by Harleys Momma View Post
    Can I ask what type of shampoo would work for such frequent use? I worked as a bather and we had a few dogs who came in weekly but I cant remember what shampoos they used (owner provided stuff). But Harley has allergy issues and bathing helps him out a lot with his allergies (gr$#@! and something else appears to be starting up that I havnt figured out yet) but I usually wash him once a month and wipe him down with puppy wipes anytime he comes in contact with gr$#@! but its bad right now, if I forget or miss a spot he is miserable and Id love to be able to wash him more often to help his poor itchy body

As far as drying, I first let the dog shake off themselves then I use my hands and wipe excess water off from the belly and chest and squeeze the legs/feet to get the excess water off then Harley usually shakes again then Ill towel him really well. When the weather is colder Ill put my hair dryer on cool air and get any excess water off so that hes just lightly damp then I let him air dry
    I'm not a groomer or anything, but I use Earth Bath shampoo on my guys and never notice their skin being dried out or anything. It was first recommended to me for my Ragdoll cats, because I wanted to find a shampoo that was easy on their coat, yet had some whitening qualities.
    They actually sell it at Petsmart now, which is nice.

My groomer/neighbour recommended the Fresh N' Clean Baking Soda with Oatmeal shampoo and conditioner to me as an easy-to-find, relatively good system for frequent use. Sug has a ton of mainly seasonal allergies as well, so frequent bathing is essential to her.

She gets a bath once, sometimes twice a week (she's white... she picks up the dirt :() and this stuff hasn't been irritating to her at all. I just make sure to condition her really well after the shampoo.

16. Quote Originally Posted by Harleys Momma View Post
    I use Why Itch by B3.

Quote Originally Posted by JokerGirl View Post
    My groomer/neighbour recommended the Fresh N' Clean Baking Soda with Oatmeal shampoo and conditioner to me as an easy-to-find, relatively good system for frequent use. Sug has a ton of mainly seasonal allergies as well, so frequent bathing is essential to her.

She gets a bath once, sometimes twice a week (she's white... she picks up the dirt :() and this stuff hasn't been irritating to her at all. I just make sure to condition her really well after the shampoo.
    Using oatmeal is an outdated practice. It is a bad idea. This is a direct quote from one of my favorite vets, Doctor Karen Becker: Oatmeal feeds yeast and staph on the skin.

Images
    I towel dry, then use the hair dryer on them. They don't seem to mind the hair dryer, and I continue to use the towel with the blow dryer to help get them dry faster.

I use Tropiclean, lathers easily, and washes out easy. :)

I'm not sure how much of that I actually believe. As a microbiologist, I am well aware of the conditions that encourage the growth of both yeast and staph. Staph naturally lives on the skin and only becomes a problem when the skin has been opened such as with severe scratching and the immune system has been compromised. Moisture is what encourages the growth of yeast and again a compromised immune system. As long as the dog is kept dry, there should never be a severe issue with yeast.

Besides, there are so many things that veterinarians disagree on that you can't believe what just one vet says. There are vets who want you to vaccinate once a year. There are also vets who say every 3 years is probably fine. Then there are vets who think you should vaccinate against things like Leptospirosis every 6 months because the vaccine is for a bacterium which most animals can't hold an immunity against.

Personally, I have seen good results with the oatmeal shampoo/conditioner helping to soothe her skin. And since I can't find any reliable article anywhere that states that Oatmeal is in fact bad, I will not discredit it until I do.

19. I just air dry my dogs.

I towel Rhys (he looks so sad and upset after his bath) and he loves toweling, it cheers him back up. I just use a regular old bath towel. He shakes about a million times too (during and after the bath), which helps too. Then I let him wander around the house nekkid (no collar, lol) and roll on his bed for about half hour and hes normally dry by then.

I use Best Shot products for grooming on Rhys and my horse, Baloo. I love the Lemon-Aid shampoo, Rhys is never itchy after I bath him with that and it doesn't have harsh soapy chemicals. And all their stuff smells sooooo good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast