Images

Anyone with a pond?

Do you interact with your fish?

Two of my fishies are very used to me -a koi and a ryukin... they like to be stroked and the Ryukin likes being thrown underwater lol I hold him lightly and push him forward, and as soon as he gets his balance back he swims back to my hand as fast as his fat butt can. The koi just likes getting her belly stroked and her lips... She's odd.

I do have a bit of spare time on my hands, obviously... and lots of fishy treats to condition them to me...

Wondering if any other pond owners torment their fish. lol

I used to work at a greenhouse where their speciality was koi, water plants, and ponds. Whenever I went into the koi greenhouse, the koi would follow me around the pond. We could also "hand" feed them. It was the wierdest feeling ever. It was a fun part-time job and I learned a lot. Koi are some pricest carp ever. They had some that cost thousands of doolars. :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by jeoestreich View Post
    I used to work at a greenhouse where their speciality was koi, water plants, and ponds. Whenever I went into the koi greenhouse, the koi would follow me around the pond. We could also "hand" feed them. It was the wierdest feeling ever. It was a fun part-time job and I learned a lot. Koi are some pricest carp ever. They had some that cost thousands of doolars. :eek:
    i think i need to become a backyard fish breeder

it was crazy. They were huge and beautiful but I would be afraid of some animal or something eatting one of them. One summer we had the same lady come in and replace her fish three times because birds were getting them. She finially got smart and put some sort of netting or something to protect them.

Poisened~is your pond deep enough so you can winter them outside or do you bring them in?

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

it was crazy. They were huge and beautiful but I would be afraid of some animal or something eatting one of them. One summer we had the same lady come in and replace her fish three times because birds were getting them. She finially got smart and put some sort of netting or something to protect them.

Poisened~is your pond deep enough so you can winter them outside or do you bring them in?

Images
    They stay out all winter...

Yeah, koi, at leas higher quality ones, are ridiculously priced... I get mine tiny and grow them out, sell the ones I don't want to breed... My current koi girl is about 10" and could sell for a nice little bit if I wasn't attached to her.

If you have an outdoor koi farm, birds, raccoons, and whatever else IS a danger... The large koi farms have dogs who run around all the ponds and keep animals away.

I lost my entire stock last year because the net had been pulled back a bit.

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

A local koi place also gives me their 'special' koi... LOL
    Crooked backs, real low quality, missing body parts... But I've had them breed and they produce fine fry... I cull severely deformed ones, the ones who'd live a short unhappy life anyway. I have a pretty blind Pearscale mix in my pond now, and I have to grab her and stick the food in front of her ditzy face...

That sucks. At the greenhouse I worked at they keep the majority of their koi in their own greenhouse. I would love to have a pond on day but we would need a bigger property and a deep pond. The owner goes to all of the koi shows and he even got some koi directly from japan. He has even learn how id dieases and parasites. It is all super interesrting and sometimes I wish I still worked there but they really did not pay that well for the amount of work and stress I dealt with.

Images
    I used to be a fish NUT... I have over 60 bettas at one time when I bred them... 7-8 full fish tanks, not including hospital tanks/small betta containers. I got really good at diseases and whatnot... Unfortunately one day, something happened, all of my female bettas, one mature male, and quite a few immature males in my 45g tank were wiped out within a day. I had some with Japanese grandparents, rare types, and my babies... Do you have any idea how difficult breeding bettas is? O_O I mean, it makes dogs seem easy.

A quick sum of it..
    You have to get a tank up and running, with all of the necessary furnishings... Run it for two weeks with a seeded filter so it's nice and safe for them... Introduce the male to the tank, a half filled 10g with a slow sponge filter, wait for him to build a nest and feel at home, then put a hurricane gl$#@! in the middle, with the female in it (you have to make sure she is full of eggs and ready to breed, showing her verticle stripes... lol)... So he and her get to know each other without being able to hurt one another.

Then you introduce them with bated breath (OMG don't kill her), and if they don't breed fast, back out of the room and let them be... It's rough, sometimes they tear each other up, sometimes they don't hurt each other at all.

Once they breed successfully, the male will chase the female off... Once he does that, you have to remove her and put her in a hospital tank with meds so she doesn't die.. And he cares for the eggs, keeping them in his bubble nest... Any time one falls he catches them and puts them back, same with the babies... Though after a while, he gets fed up and might eat them, which is a god time to remove him... Which leaves YOU to care for the babies, syphon dead babies, poo, food and everything else off of the bottom (babies can't swim, so you better not suck them up...).. After weeks of this, you have babies who can swim.. lol

Geeze, forgot about food, you have to raise them food, like microworms, grindleworms, brine shrimp, ect.

All this talk is making me want bettas again..
    breeding bettas

Images
    No, but my Betta is quite personable. :)