Images

Anything I can spray on the dogs for bugs biting their ears?

My dogs LOVE to be outside, but if you go out there, there are like 1,000 gnats swarming around each of their heads, they must bite Tyson's ears, because he has hair missing on the tips. Is there anything I can get while I am out for them?

Images
    Check with NC... I think he knows of something that works good, but I can't remember what it is.

Images
    I usually put on that Autan anti-mosquito spray or the fly and insecty stuff for horses if I feel it is very bad. The ears can get very bad very quick and take a lot of time to heal.

idk if you have a rural king (or if thats just somethin we have around here) i dont exactly remember thr name of the stuff but its used for horses to keep bugs off them and it works prett good... thats what my dad has always gotten for our dogs when their ears start gettin sttacked... though they dont usually like it being sprayd on there (or maybe its just my weirdo dogs afraid of spray bottles, but once its on it doesnt seem to bother them

Images
    I will get some tomorrow thanks guys! :)

This stuff can work well on dogs Swat Fly Ointment, Farnam - Pink

Basically any horse fly spray...but if you want ointment the above would do good.

If they are afraid of spray bottles, just spray it on your hand or a towel and then wipe it on their ears. Works like a charm.

Images
    mix up a bit of lemon juice and vinegar with water, spray on your dogs and that should do the trick. that's what I'm using when riding my horse so he won't be bugged by those annoying flying things :p

I've got friends that use to put a tiny bit of garlic in their horses meal every day... seemed to work like a charm... although I'm not quite sure about using that for dogs... isn't garlic bad for dogs?

My dads two labs ears were eaten terribly by gnats and flys in the summer time. They were outside dogs. He would use a little peroxide on their ears and it worked wonders keeping the bugs away. Plus it helped their wounds heal He also said something about a vinegar. But I don't remember what he mixed with it.

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ganja View Post
    mix up a bit of lemon juice and vinegar with water, spray on your dogs and that should do the trick. that's what I'm using when riding my horse so he won't be bugged by those annoying flying things :p
    That's it. Lemon Juice, vinegar, and water is what he used. It was a trick he had learned with his horses so he started doing it with his dogs.

Is Skin So Soft from Avon safe to use on dogs? I know it used to work great when I was a kid. :)

Images
    I was wondering about SSS, I used it as a child too, I guess I will try to use the horse stuff first

The gnats made Tyson's ears go limp, he must have had them down so they couldn't get in his ears as easy and learned how to keep them that way, NO more personality looks for Tyson :(

Will post pictures later! :)

Buy the horse spray that has dogs listed on label, and put neosporin on the open wound if its bleeding or open and you will be alrite. I use the horse spray and spray it in the dogs space n keeps all bugs away from dogs area.

Images
    Cut a couple lemons in half and boil them in some water.. Squeeze them into the water and filter it into a spray bottle. Bugs dont like the taste of lemons. It works GREAT with fleas.. might work with other annoying bugs too. :)

I use Equisect, it is WONDERFUL, you get it at tractor supply in the horse section, its a grey spray bottle, its a fly repellent/killer, kills horn,stable,horse,house, and dear flies, mosquitoes, gnats and lice! it WORKS, and I have found I do not have to put it on his ears every day, I just put it in my palm and rub his ears with it, he does not like the smell but it works, I also spray his bum and thys to keep the gnats away, its not to expensive, and it is for horses,ponies, dogs and cats so is safe, I have sprayed my yard down with it too and it has worked wonders on keeping the mosquitoes and flies and such away. I had used a roller kind last year on his ears but this stuff works better and seems to last longer, its water based not alcohol based so it does not dry to fast but like I said I think it lasts longer, and is not to expensive for a big 32 oz bottle I think it was under $10 and worth every penny.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ganja View Post
    mix up a bit of lemon juice and vinegar with water, spray on your dogs and that should do the trick.
    How much of each & do you dilute with water?

It must be all the rain we've had (no idea) but deer flies were horrible
    on our run this morning. When we came to a stop, my girl had three sitting on her that must have joined her along the way.

She now has golf-ball sized lumps where they bit her. :(
    (She does this with mosquito bites and vaccinations too)
    I gave her some benadryl and sprayed hydro-cortisone spray on them

dangit. I'm just really put out about it. They made our run miserable.
    yeah, they were swarming me too

Images
    I usually just do half of each lol :)

Images
    I find that a cream works better, it lasts longer anyway... I use this:
    Opentip.com: Farnam Pet Flys-Off Ointment 5 Ounces - 2403

It is for wounds, but it works very well on the ears and helps for any fly bites already on the ears... It lasts all day.

Images
    $#@!! I got the horse spray, I was going to get the Equisect but the horse spray was stronger, the one I got was

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Manna-Pro-...20-oz/10449505

I got it at Tractor Supply, should I return this tomorrow and try the other one?

I don't like aerosol, I fear I will get it in the eyes because it comes out so fast, I just put the spay in my palm and put it on, I hate getting bug repellent in my mouth and face so I don't like spraying my boy around the head (you know off tastes NASTY even when your mouth is closed lol) I also skimmed the for use area, did not see dogs, just large animals (horses and cows is what it looked like) I would be concerned it might be to strong for dogs if it does not list them.