Do you need a heartworm test to give Frontline?

My cousin was told (I $#@!ume by a vet but Im not sure) that you cannot give Frontline flea medicine to a dog without the dog first having a heartworm test done. Is this true? Ive never heard of such a thing but her mom (my aunt) got Frontline for her dogs and she used it without testing for heartworms and my cousin freaked out saying she was told you cant do that. My aunts freaking out now because her GSD is nearing his last days as it is and now hes suddenly not acting like himself and she thinks its because of the flea medicine she gave him.

Ive given Frontline to my previous dog (only did once as I didnt feel it worked) and was never told anything about a heartworm test nor could I find anything about it online either. I guess she was told you only need it with Frontline?

Has anyone else heard this?

You don't need a heartworm test to give frontline, only for heartworm medication.
    Frontline doesn't have any heartworm preventative, so a test would be unnecessary.
    I've been using frontline on Liberty for 8 years with no problem, and use it for Lily, but not all dogs tolerate medications the same way and some may develop a reaction.

I don't know frontline specifically, but I do know some flea meds also do various other parasites including heartworm prevention. If you use one of the topical flea meds that also does heartworm prevention and the dog is heartworm positive it can kill the dog.

No, you do not.

If you use Revolution, yes. Frontline: no.

the vet may make you sign a waiver if you refuse the test but want the frontline. if you give it and they DO have heartworms, they can dislodge and get caught up in the bloodstream.

Ok, that makes now!
    Thank you everyone for replying!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee D View Post
    the vet may make you sign a waiver if you refuse the test but want the frontline. if you give it and they DO have heartworms, they can dislodge and get caught up in the bloodstream.
    Frontline doesn't affect heartworms. It's used to prevent fleas and ticks. There's no reason that you would need to test for heartworms beforehand since it doesn't prevent them.
    There are other flea/tick medications that DO prevent heartworm, such as what 2mny mentioned, but frontline isn't one of them. You can use it regardless of any testing.