Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do I stop my puppy from inhaling her food?

Well, let me tell you, I’ve never seen a living breathing thing eat faster than Princess. She’ll eat 2 bowls of her food, and if she can get to it, my other dogs food. And then she’ll bark and yip for more. When I say eat, I mean inhale. In about twenty seconds the bowl is as clean and empty as it was before we poured food into it! I really wouldn’t be worried, but yesterday after she was done eating she was having hiccups or something. Like her stomach are bloated up, and then went all the way back down until you could see her ribcage, and then back up, back down, ect. ect. ect. I don’t think eating all her food in four bites is really healthy, so how do I stop her? All help is appreciated.

You can try hand feeding her to slow her down. When you had feed her, you can make her work for her food by doing some OB training with her. Plus it will help you all bond more. Or, you can try a break-fast bowl.

Images
    They make slow feed bowls, like this. That would slow her down.

Skid Stop Slow Feed Pet Bowl, Medium $#@!orted Colors

You could also try a KONG wobbler or another food dispensing toy. That will make her eat slow and it will keep her entertained and give her some mental stimulation.

Put her food in one of these:
    Star Mark Everlasting Fun Ball Dog Toy - Toys - Dog - PetSmart

I think the large one holds a cup of food, but I could be wrong. If you get one, and the food isn't coming out of the holes, you can cut one (or more) of the little nubbie things off to let it fall out easier. These are GREAT toys. My dogs are addicted to them, and they are virtually indestructible.

slow down hoss!

you can also just put the food in a regular ole bundt cake pan if you have it. The outcome is the same-but the food cube is more intellectually stimulating

How much of what food are you feeding her that she eats two bowls worth? Or do you just have small bowls? I feed Puck out of a 8 inch or so across bowl and his kibble doesn't even fill half the bowl flat (he gets 1/2 cup of DNEA 3 times a day some days 1/2 cup more throughout the day).
    Last edited by magdalena; 05-10-2010 at 12:30 PM.

Gypsy is an inhaler too. I will scatter her food across the kitchen floor, that way she has to eat it slower...well, at least one piece at a time instead of several. I like the food dispensing toys too, they really work for Gypsy.

Quote Originally Posted by magdalena View Post
    How much of what food are you feeding her that she eats two bowls worth? Or do you just have small bowls? I feed Puck out of a 8 inch or so across bowl and his kibble doesn't even fill half the bowl flat (he gets 1/2 cup of DNEA 3 times a day some days 1/2 cup more throughout the day).
    Her bowl is very small so 2 bowls is like..a cup. Thanks for all the great suggestions guys. @Libby, you won’t believe she jumped up once, knocked all the food out of the bowl that was in my hand, and began running around the kitchen slurping it up. It’s like the Amazing Race: Doggy style.

Get a busy buddy twist and treat toy. Best thing we ever did.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3207050

That thread there was when we discovered it, it has some other suggestions that might help you too.

http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?t=59245

Also you could try a tug a jug or a buster cube or a talk to me treat ball. It makes meal time also. It helps slow the dog down plus gives mental stimulation

Read somewhere on here someone just put a big rock in the bowl. I don't think it was a pet rock.

Place food in kong. Rinse with water. Freeze.

Give frozen kong to dog.

Hollowed out bones work in place of kongs.

Spread food on a cookie sheet.

Hand feed.

Try a "slow down" bowl...it has nubs in it that they have to eat around. The name is escaoing me this very moment but they sell the plastic kind in pet edge....they do have metal ones as well....My GSD inhales his food.

Quote Originally Posted by VonKromeHaus View Post
    Try a "slow down" bowl...it has nubs in it that they have to eat around. The name is escaoing me this very moment but they sell the plastic kind in pet edge....they do have metal ones as well....My GSD inhales his food.
    Those slow down bowls sometimes help and sometimes don't. it didn't help my dog. The other thing we tried was a rock in the bowl. She picked up the rock and thought it would be a nice chew toy. Not a good idea if you have a dog that thinks eating rocks is a good idea. And that was a pretty heavy rock. Someone suggested a tennis ball to me in the bowl and I'm thinking "are you kidding me". The best thing for us was the treat ball. She actually realizes she is full by the time she is done. It takes her about 20 minutes to eat now vs. 20 seconds previously. I'd give that a try or one of the many different treat toys.

I really like feeding by hand because you can make your dog work for the food by doing some OB and you are slowing down their eating habits.

Quote Originally Posted by mstngchic2012 View Post
    I really like feeding by hand because you can make your dog work for the food by doing some OB and you are slowing down their eating habits.
    Thats a good idea too

16. All 3 of my dogs inhale their food. An entire feeding is done in less than 20 seconds maybe?? :) I don't worry about it. My dogs have always eaten this way and I have yet to have a problem. My dogs come by the term "wolfing down their food" honestly LOL

Quote Originally Posted by magdalena View Post
    Read somewhere on here someone just put a big rock in the bowl. I don't think it was a pet rock.
    Thats what I do to my dog :) Huge rock and it was Free. Also you can try wetting down the food.

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by furkidmom View Post
    All 3 of my dogs inhale their food. An entire feeding is done in less than 20 seconds maybe?? :) I don't worry about it. My dogs have always eaten this way and I have yet to have a problem. My dogs come by the term "wolfing down their food" honestly LOL
    Just becareful, inhaling food can lead to bloat which is terrible.

Puck hoovers it too I always make sure to feed him after exercise.

19. Great advice lmwst ty!!

When Harley was younger he used to eat real fast (he was pretty thin when we first got him) and I got this green ball that you put food in.. the holes are fairly big but not as big as a kong and I would put his food in the ball and then put it in his food dish and he had to roll the ball around and he would get so many kibbles at a time untill it was gone.. worked great... untill I left the ball in his crate and he ate the ball (not a very strong ball for a dog is SA haha but it worked great for feeding)

This is the ball I used:
    http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...07021&lmdn=Dog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast