Does a dog only have one master?

I am wondering if everyone would be kind enough to share their experiences with their apbts and dogs, regardless of breed?

Here is my experience with my dog, a purebred apbt. My dog will allow allow the people within my household to walk him and will listen to them, though not as attentitvely or 100% as with myself. I'd say, when my parents give him a command, he will do it 80% of the time. However, if I were to give a command, mine would be followed. An example would be when my parents tell him to follow and I give him the stay command, he will stay immediately. Alternatively, when I give the stay command first and my parents tell him to follow, he will not budge.

With strangers, he tends to be a bit more aloof. He will alarm bark and the alarm bark gets progressively louder and louder, along with the actions. He will literally hit the end of the chain and end up on his two legs while barking as loud as he can when an intruder enters the yard. He even considers my friends an intruder and will do the same when I am not in the yard. However, once they have introduced themselves to me and I reciprocate a friendly vibe, he will begin to treat them as if they were family and will even listen to a few basic commands. He will listen to "sit," "come," and "shake" about 60-80% of the time, but for some reason, the "down" command he will never obey. Also again, whatever command i give also supercedes their command. For example, my dog tends to reciprocate what you do to him. If you wrestle him, he'll wrestle you down and might even hump your leg (I'm told it is a sign of dominance); if you provoke him, he'll bark at you (yes, I've had strangers randomly p$#@! us by and started barking or just attempting to provoke my dog). However, no matter what, my commands supercedes any and everything. When my dog is playing "tag" with the neighborhood kids by running alongside them, he gets so wild up that he gets the zoomies. However, one "come" command or "stay" command ends it. Also for the few fights he's gotten involved in, the "off" command seems to work pretty well and he does off, though i still wear the break stick around my neck since the other dogs were not as receptive towards their master's command and he is only 21 months, still a pup. He might suddenly reach a point where his prey drive is so high that the "off" command isn't enough to get him to let go. I've also walked him off leash in an ENCLOSED area with dogs on the otherside of the fence and again, he tends to ignore the other dogs when given the "follow" command and walks by my side, though he will turn his head and his tail will be flared straight up in the air (the challenge tail). I believe I can walk him off leash in public, but I'd never take that chance.

Anyways, what are your experiences? Do dogs really have one master and everyone else they just listen to half the time sort of as lip service (think back to when you were a kid and you got your parents' friends a drink or ran an errand for them because they were simply your parents' friends) or do they have multiple masters?

only one of my dogs will listen to absolutely anyone he can have a 3 y/o tell him to sit lay and stay and he will listen now the others will only listen to me and my b/f anyone else they will completely ignore and act as if they are not even there lol

my dogs are the same way, if i say stay and someone else says come here, or even gets low and gets all excited like come come! my dogs will not move unless i say its okay, i am my dogs one and true master, although they are respectful to all people because they know its what i expect out of them!

My APBT and AB both listen to everyone in my household and select people outside of our household. They listen to my brother and his fiancee, our next door neighbor and random people they meet and like when out and about. I think they listen to the calm and strong willed and tend to ignore everyone else. Thats my theory anyways.

Gypsy listens to people in my family, but my word is bottom line.

Umah will listen to anyone, for anything, lol! Its so funny when my 5 year old niece comes over, she will have Umah sitting, laying down, jumping up on things, and walking around on the leash all over the place.

Marsha doesn't listen to anyone. Period. Well ok, she listens to me sometimes, haha.

Mexi listens to me and my Mom.

Hoss only listens to me. He pretends to be deaf with everyone else.

Its a matter of who controls the food.... in my opinion... as many of you know I have been keeping Screamin' Eagle's dog Achilles for a while now while he's over in Korea with the Army.

Well at first Achilles wasn't having it... he was hard to control... he wasn't happy.. etc etc etc... getting dropped off at a strange place with strange people and other dogs too.... so the first few days it was hard going.

But you know what.... once he learned that I now control the food... he came right around... now we're cool he listens and does as he's told for the most part.

Thats just been my experience... the dog should know who is in charge and thats the one they'll obey.

We have English Bulldogs.....they don't listen to anybody but themselves.

you have a treat in your hand.. you have my dogs attention...

Quote Originally Posted by Obed View Post
    My dog is the same way, but she does tend to listen to me more than the rest of the family, since I am the only one that does regular training with her (so she knows she often gets treats from me for doing what she is asked, lol).

My first bulldog belonged to an ex boyfriend. She lived at his house. He fed her and took care of her. But, for some reason, she always preferred me over him. We both spent lots of time with her. She would listen to commands from both of us, but she seemed to respond better to me. When we split up, the dog came with me. She is now 10 years old and has always been my favorite dog. We are still friends, so he sees her from time to time. He jokes that I stole his dog, but he knows that she is happy and that I am very thankful to have her. :)

I think all dogs are different. I believe all dogs would adapt to different situations they were put in. But, some just seem to make a stronger connection with their owner than others. I have one that will not eat when I go off to dog shows. He won't take treats from strangers either. I have others that could care less if I feed them or someone else. As long as they are getting food and attention, they are happy.

Red listens to anyone really as long as I'm gone. When I'm home, it's all me....no one else.

Judge only listens to me....nobody else. No exceptions. He is a huge momma's boy.

My dogs listen to me and halfway listen to my roommate. Her dogs listen to her and halfway listen to me. Ronon is the only one that has issues. He listens halfway to me and no one else. But he is a Greyhound and any hound isn't big on obeying anyone but themselves!

hmm, I guess I have a unique case. He won't accept treats from strangers and if you just come up to us to pet him without asking permission, he'll crouch down and look at your hand. If you introduce yourself and we make small talk, he'll use his own judgement and if you are really nice and he likes you, then he'll listen to a few commands that he likes. He'll sit, come, follow, shake, and jump. However, he won't ever listen to bark, down, or stay. Also for some reason, he doesn't get along well with males, but he won't go after them when I ask him to follow. He'll just have that dead stare, but he won't bark, growl, or raise hackles. He'll just have his tail in the challenge position and with a stare in his eyes. I still won't trust him off leash though, but he's pretty cool when he's on leash. However, when he is tied down and a male is within his sights, he'll begin to yelp in excitement and start lunging, snapping, etc.

I don't need treats,food,toys or ANYTHING for my dog to listen. He listens to everyone all the time without problem, but when he has to choose who to listen to, he knows I'm his owner. I personally think it depends on the dog.

I feel that all dogs have a one true master. Although all my dogs listen to anyone and everyone that enters my home, but it is my voice that commands thier attention and respect.

Everyone in my household takes care of the dogs, feeding, watering and taking them out etc etc. I am the main disciplinarian, I feel that carries the most weight as to how and who the dogs respond to the most. That is why it is my voice that grabs thier attention when commands are given. I do the majority of the training so they tend to more responsive when I speak but as for lying down with or chillin with, my dogs play no favorites with anyone....everyone in my house gives and gets plenty of attention from the dogs and that includes guests.

Quote Originally Posted by Obed View Post
    So true

My boy is exactly the same. But I actually encourage it.

Quote Originally Posted by RealDawgs View Post
    I am wondering if everyone would be kind enough to share their experiences with their apbts and dogs, regardless of breed?

Here is my experience with my dog, a purebred apbt. My dog will allow allow the people within my household to walk him and will listen to them, though not as attentitvely or 100% as with myself. I'd say, when my parents give him a command, he will do it 80% of the time. However, if I were to give a command, mine would be followed. An example would be when my parents tell him to follow and I give him the stay command, he will stay immediately. Alternatively, when I give the stay command first and my parents tell him to follow, he will not budge.

With strangers, he tends to be a bit more aloof. He will alarm bark and the alarm bark gets progressively louder and louder, along with the actions. He will literally hit the end of the chain and end up on his two legs while barking as loud as he can when an intruder enters the yard. He even considers my friends an intruder and will do the same when I am not in the yard. However, once they have introduced themselves to me and I reciprocate a friendly vibe, he will begin to treat them as if they were family and will even listen to a few basic commands. He will listen to "sit," "come," and "shake" about 60-80% of the time, but for some reason, the "down" command he will never obey. Also again, whatever command i give also supercedes their command. For example, my dog tends to reciprocate what you do to him. If you wrestle him, he'll wrestle you down and might even hump your leg (I'm told it is a sign of dominance); if you provoke him, he'll bark at you (yes, I've had strangers randomly p$#@! us by and started barking or just attempting to provoke my dog). However, no matter what, my commands supercedes any and everything. When my dog is playing "tag" with the neighborhood kids by running alongside them, he gets so wild up that he gets the zoomies. However, one "come" command or "stay" command ends it. Also for the few fights he's gotten involved in, the "off" command seems to work pretty well and he does off, though i still wear the break stick around my neck since the other dogs were not as receptive towards their master's command and he is only 21 months, still a pup. He might suddenly reach a point where his prey drive is so high that the "off" command isn't enough to get him to let go. I've also walked him off leash in an ENCLOSED area with dogs on the otherside of the fence and again, he tends to ignore the other dogs when given the "follow" command and walks by my side, though he will turn his head and his tail will be flared straight up in the air (the challenge tail). I believe I can walk him off leash in public, but I'd never take that chance.

Anyways, what are your experiences? Do dogs really have one master and everyone else they just listen to half the time sort of as lip service (think back to when you were a kid and you got your parents' friends a drink or ran an errand for them because they were simply your parents' friends) or do they have multiple masters?

All of my past dogs were taught to ignore everyone but me so in those cases I'd say yes. Puck would probably write me a post card from wherever he went with whoever took his leash from me though.