Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My yard - full of dirt, and little gr$#@! - Solutions?

Hey guys,

I have a quick question. My backyard where I let my dogs play in is full of dirt. Whenever they go out there, there paws and coat get full of dirt. Then they come and track the dirt in the house. DRIVES ME NUTS!!

So, with that said.. what would you suggest for my situation? I've contemplated just laying out some type of mulch threw the whole yard, or wood chips, possibly even sand!! LOL.

I just don't know what to do. I own the house, so I can pretty much do whatever I want.. I'm just not sure what would look best, and be more effecient (less messy!).

Any suggestions would be fabulous!

Adrian

Images
    I have a very sandy soil. Mine run the whole backyard. So, gr$#@! would never grow unless I kept them off of it. Even then, I'm sure it wouldn't last! So, I understand completely what you are going through

My whole back yard is pea gravel. But it can take a while to get enough down so it's not just a light layer on dirt. It's also heavy to work with and can be expensive. I dump and spread a load every other year, so no mud.

Dog Runs, dog yards, indoor dog gr$#@!, dog kennel runs, dog friendly yards, dog run, dog gr$#@!

Take a look at this wonderful stuff!!! I want it soooo bad! :)

Do not let the dogs in the backyard.

That is pretty much the only thing you can do. I have no gr$#@! in the back but the dogs are not allowed in the front yard.

*rubs hands together* Your in luck! I happen to work at a golf course. lol. Is your goal to just skip with trying to get gr$#@! to grow or are you wanting a lawn?

ooooooo Coiler can you get gr$#@! to grow in a chain spot? or at least at the edges and less dragged area? I just want gr$#@! it does not have to be pretty, heck a very hardy weed would work for me :D

I tried the wood chip idea last summer and do not recommend that route. Especially red colored chips. My dogs eat the chips, they hold moisture, stick to poo, allow all kinds of insects to live in them, and make a mess when they get thrown up inside (especially the red colored variety). Ive considered the pea gravel for this year...but so far we raked up all the chips and just let them play in the mud at the moment :/

you can try growing a more hardy variety of gr$#@!, like high traffic types. But, you'll need to keep the dogs off of the area you're growing the gr$#@! in, at least until it gets a good root going. I've pretty much given up on gr$#@!.. it's around the fringes of the yard, but the dogs have their paths to the rear, around the trees.. we've even got a sunken running track around one bush.. lol. i just give them tons of baths in the summer, or they stay outside for a couple days, then inside for a couple.. and so on. lol. very complicated.

---------- Post added at 04:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 AM ----------

here are pics of my yard last year. The first shows where they poop.. therefore, they don't walk there (thank god!). The second pic would look different this year, as the left corner is grassy, and they poop there, too! the track around the bush is much deeper and more banked this year as well. lol.

Images
    You mean like MY yard??? LMAO

Does your back door look like THIS?

Well all I can offer is my support,and if anyone can help BOTH of us out-that would be great.I am attempting to regr$#@! my yard....we'll see what happens.If not then I am pavering mine in.(its only 450sq ft)

10. Ahh I can't wait to hear the solution! We have a race track. It used to just go around the above ground pool until the decided to add in around the shed to the fast lane. My husband is determined to make gr$#@! grow back by blocking off the race track in sections. I just laugh at him.

Oh and we won't even bring up the area that they are allowed to dig in - that is just hills and valleys of dirt...when the gr$#@! sprigs come up through it, the dogs eat them...

I'm strongly considering just laying out sand in the yard. That sounds like it could be a good idea.

I'm just afraid that I might not like it like I thought I would, then be stuck with it. Cause there aint' no way in heck that your going to be able to remove all that sand as easily as it goes in.

I know I would hate sand, I don't like walking on it, it gets i my shoes and hurts my feet

Yikes Prophecy! Nice door. If it were me and I couldn't get gr$#@! to grow I'd pave the whole thing I think and put in some nice potted plants.

hmmm maybe if we have to pave our yards we should add little ponds so they have a place to swim and it makes it look nicer, I like the potted plants idea

15. Quote Originally Posted by magdalena View Post
    Yikes Prophecy! Nice door. If it were me and I couldn't get gr$#@! to grow I'd pave the whole thing I think and put in some nice potted plants.
    Ha - we put down pavers between the house and pool and had these cute little holes and put in Aztec gr$#@!. I mean, I had one of those breatktaking moments of pleasure when it was done and we stepped back and looked at it. One week later, the dogs had removed the aztec gr$#@!, and now there is sand and weeds in the little boxes and we can't find pavers that size to put in there!

Wow. lol, you've certainly got a challenge on your hands. Since gr$#@! is more of what I know, i'll stick to that aspect of it rather then with what to fill it with instead. Regardless if you choose to sod or plant, your going to have to keep the dogs off the area until it's had a chance to get a foot hold but once this happens it'll be much easier to keep up with it.

There is NOT any sure-fire dog resistant gr$#@!. However, some gr$#@! by natures design are better than others. In general gr$#@! that spread by either rhizomes and/or stolons are the best choices as they tend to repair more easily. Be prepared to constantly re-seed to try and keep ahead of damaged areas.

Bermudagr$#@!
    - Best Choice. (Fast repairing / Handles traffic good)
    Zoysia (IF allowed to establish first / Takes 2-4 years) (Good traffic tolerance / but slower to repair.)
    Ryegr$#@! can be overseeded on Bermudagr$#@! lawns to provide additional protection and color during winter dormant months.

Kentucky Bluegr$#@!:

For Northern climate areas (cool season), Kentucky Bluegr$#@! is considered the best choice due to its ability to slightly spread and repair damage over time. Tall Fescue lawns are NOT recommended as they cannot repair themselves.
    Tall Fescues:
    You can however add a small amount of Kentucky Bluegr$#@! to a Tall Fescue lawn and reduce the extent of damage that will occur to your lawn. Add 1/2 lb. of Bluegr$#@! per 1000 sq. ft. --
    FAST REPAIR:
    Ryegr$#@! can be added should you need a quick "cosmetic" repair. Perennial Ryegr$#@! provides the best look and is perennial growing in northern areas.

Personally, I love bluegr$#@!. It's that thick, green lawn of your dreams. lol. We use a mix of bluegr$#@! and a few others at the golf course (i'll get the exact mix tomorrow when I'm at work for you) The information above I've yanked off another site because they worded it so much better then I can,lol. http://www.seedland.com/ is full of /great/ information on different gr$#@! types and when to plant, you can even order from them.

As far as care though, that's going to take a lot of work to keep up with because of the high traffic of the dogs. Your going to want to look into aeration, top dressing and feeding the lawn because of how hard it's going to have to work in keeping up. It'll be like having another dog really, only instead of training, this one needs pedicures.

A side note on sand, like the dirt its going to get everywhere no matter what you do.
    Last edited by Coiler; 05-04-2010 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Added content

o yea Coiler, is it best to keep it short or let it grow grow grow? I mean if I let it grow up to like 1 foot tall then he does not go over that spot haha but if I keep it short will it thicken faster?

Colier, you ROCK! I'll check out that link later. Thanks for the nice write up. I have a lot of bermuda gr$#@! growing in my yard. Its spreading very quickly, and I like it a lot. I may just buy some bermuda seed, spread it, and water the heck out of it. Gotta kill off the weeds and crap in the yard first though.

Sorry for the delay. XD We had a week long snow fest with the weather,lol. It's kept me either busy or passed out on my bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliehanna View Post
    o yea Coiler, is it best to keep it short or let it grow grow grow? I mean if I let it grow up to like 1 foot tall then he does not go over that spot haha but if I keep it short will it thicken faster?
    How short do you mean by short? and vice versa. Our "long gr$#@!" is pretty much what you'd get in wild conditions, it would probably be just under my knee in length. That kind of gr$#@! gets trampled on way to easily and it creates those paths that turn into dirt if it's used again and again. So that I wouldn't suggest.

If your talking about long as in inches or whatever, personally I would try and stick with a happy in between and then see how things go with your dogs. If they are not ripping out chunks when they run, you can try a shorter cut.

As for the seed mix we use at work, I took a quick look today and it's all really just different mixes of bluegr$#@!.

ok, I will have to try that then, I normally let it grow until he is hopping (at least it means I do not just have a dirt backyard lol) but my main consern is the chain, it might rip out the gr$#@! but I can give it a go :D thank you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast