Alergic reaction/death to anesthesia

Hi, my dog Bruno is schedualed to be neutered at the end of this month. It seems as the closer we get to the date, the heavier it wieghs on me. It was the words of my friend about my dogs (family members) that have passed due to reaction to the anesthesia. Now this is him telling me this, but I have no actual proof. What are the chances? and are they greater in the APBT breed??
    I love my dog and think he is the best (as we all do) but I really am not considering breeding him, which makes me want to get him fixed, as well as to settle him down and etc........but this is in the back of my mind. The scales tip one way, and then they tip the other. I havent canceled the appointment, but mannnnn its something that I have been thinking about. Please let me know your thoughts....thanks!

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 PM ----------

oh btw he is 4 months old.

Well statistically more dogs survive the surgery than not. :D I think you are worrying too much. Vets are pretty good at their job and a lot the cases where dogs die in surgery usually include underlying problems. Wish I had real world numbers for you. I only have my own and have had 15 dogs spayed or neutered and probably 70 cats. They all lived to tell the tale. I volunteered at numerous shelters and never lost one there either and that's a much higher number though I wasn't counting.

yeah

well Im a first time dog owner (as an adult), lol..... and Im enjoying it! Like having a child all over, so yeah Im worrying a little much. Reading on this site all day today has helped and encouraged me a whole lot! Thanks!

Oh I'm not knocking your worrying at all. I call my vet if one of my animals looks at me funny, they know me by voice lol. :D This site has a fantastic wealth of information and I am sure others will chime in and encourage you. Thanks for neutering your pet! Puck is set to go in for it in early June too.

Lmao! :D I did call today to ask some questions about it. But Im sure he will be just fine. Just a scared daddy.

he'll be fine, I'm a very worried parent as well. Good luck. I'm like magdelena. I have em on speed dial, lol. That operation is very simple I've put 3 of my dogs through it already and raider is due soon. As far as I know complications are very rare. It is possible, just rare.
    Last edited by raiderncpit; 04-27-2010 at 06:07 PM.

pre-op they should do blood panel to make sure he is fine and see if he is allergic to it or not. They will also do physical exam, check vitals ect so he should be fine.
    their not just going to go all Jason on your dog and hacking him without proper procedure before.
    I only know this because my brindle is getting spayed May 11 and I am having some stress and worry about it but I am sure she will be just fine.

Images
    It's normal to be worried, I'm sure he'll do just fine.

A neuter is a very fast and simple operation! They are under much less time then for a spay...
    I've done rescue for over 15 years and have never had a dog or cat die from going under.
    :)

my puppy got spayed today and I got a call from the vet saying all is well!shes my second spayed and no problems.

Images
    I had my youngest put under to be spayed about the same age as yours--no problems :)

---------- Post added at 08:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------

Since most of us consider ourselves worried parents...I thought I'd share...I bought a cute sign yesterday. It says, "My kids are furry and they have four feet." It*s a nice handcrafted cute wood/painted sign. I just loved it and had to buy it! :)

I had Goren Neutered at 14 weeks and he went through fine, he was himself the next day when I picked him up, I think a big key is to not stress your pup when you go to the vet, make it seem like you are not worried and he should be less stressed so easyer to be put under and all that, if you stress he will stress, so just stay calm and keep your cool

I actually never worried about spaying or neutering. I just had two cats done in the past month and was confused when both times I got a call from the vet's office saying their surgeries went well and they were fine. I was like um ok...why wouldn't they be? :D Which is weird since I worry about everything else. Now that i have read the OP's post I will of course worry about it the next time until I get the call. :D

i got my dog spayed when she was 6 months and 1 week and had an allergic reaction to the meds and was on a drip in the vet's ER for 2 days. But she made it through and is perfectly fine now! so dont worry about any thing!!

Quote Originally Posted by Megan&Riley View Post
    pre-op they should do blood panel to make sure he is fine and see if he is allergic to it or not. They will also do physical exam, check vitals ect so he should be fine.
    their not just going to go all Jason on your dog and hacking him without proper procedure before.
    I only know this because my brindle is getting spayed May 11 and I am having some stress and worry about it but I am sure she will be just fine.
    Haha.... Put the knife down! Thanks for the :D

Quote Originally Posted by MsAcer View Post
    A neuter is a very fast and simple operation! They are under much less time then for a spay...
    I've done rescue for over 15 years and have never had a dog or cat die from going under.
    :)
    Makes me feel better! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Darlin' View Post
    I had my youngest put under to be spayed about the same age as yours--no problems :)

---------- Post added at 08:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------

Since most of us consider ourselves worried parents...I thought I'd share...I bought a cute sign yesterday. It says, "My kids are furry and they have four feet." Itís a nice handcrafted cute wood/painted sign. I just loved it and had to buy it! :)
    Haha.... Never thought Id consider me a parent to an animal....but I am now, and I love it! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Elliehanna View Post
    I had Goren Neutered at 14 weeks and he went through fine, he was himself the next day when I picked him up, I think a big key is to not stress your pup when you go to the vet, make it seem like you are not worried and he should be less stressed so easyer to be put under and all that, if you stress he will stress, so just stay calm and keep your cool
    Yeah, Im sure they can sense it. Thanks to everyone for all your kind words!!!!

Images
    Had 62 fosters spayed and neutered in the last 3 years. Not one had a problem.