Thread: Skin Problems

1. Skin Problems

I have a pit that we found. He's a really good natured dog, but he has serious skin issues. I bath him regularly because he just gets to smelling like infection to me. He breaks out in little red bumps, some are just bumps though not red. It's like he has pimples. He mainly gets it around his neck and chest, not anywhere else. Obviously he can't chew there. He also breaks out around his mouth, but those usually come up with he is chewing and licking his paws (which he does allll the time, I can't get him to stop, I've even bought stuff that is suppose to stop them from biting) or chewing on something else, like a toy. We've taken him to the vet and they gave us Cephalaxin (sp). It cleared it up, but as soon as he got finished taking it, it came back. The vet also gave us a special medicated shampoo to bath him in and then a lotion to put on him. He had really bad fur when he came to us because he has severe heartworms. After we put him on heartguard and bathed him and put the lotion on him, after a while of doing this some of his "bad" hair fell out and his coat got shiny and his color changed (for the better).

Anybody have any suggestions for what I should do about his skin??

First off, what kind of food do you feed? He may have food and/or environmental allergies, and from scratching, he can cause himself to have a bacterial skin infection. Talk to the vet again, you'll probably have to take him in. If it continues, you may have to seek a dermatologist. The Cephalaxin is an antibiotic, how long after he stopped taking it did the "pimples" come back? I know with my mom's weimaraner (severe skin issues) she does an antibiotic every other week for 2 days, and when problems start to arise. That dog also has 15 different environmental allergens and takes anti-histamines and gets shots every 20 days to desensetize her to her allergens. He may also be weaker due to treating for heartworms, so he may be more prone to other problems at this time.

Food, food, food, food.

If you could tell us what you are feeding it would really help. This breed is prone to skin allergies and the top allergen, is food.

huskylove Guest
    And do you feed him out of a plastic bowl?

5. I'm not real sure what the name of the dog food is since we've changed it so many times. We thought the same thing. Plus he has really bad gas issues, so we thought changing food would help. Something that has happened since I posted yesterday is he is broke out all along his back now. It's like he broke out in Hives. But it's only along his back, around his neck, on his chest and there's a few red spots (which usually turn into the pimples) down near his genital area.

We got him fixed when we got him, he's a couple years old they told us, so he still has his sack hanging there. He breaks out on that too!! It's really weird. I understand the ones around his mouth because of the way he chews his paws and licks them. But everything else, I don't. We plan on taking him to the vet next Friday (money issues). The vet bills are over $100 each time we go. So we have to make sure we have enough money. He's just a sick little baby.

We aren't treating him for heartworms, we are using the preventative as a treatment. We would be giving him that anyways to prevent the heartworms from getting worse. Our vet said this is a treatment that hasn't been approved, but works. If you think your dog may not be able to make it through the strong treatment, then this is an alternative. We thought about it and we both decided that the preventative would be the best way to go. I mean, we really didn't know the dog's history, he seems very strong, but we weren't sure. I'm glad we chose this because he ended up coughing up a small amount of blood one night and we took him to the pet hospital and he has an enlarged heart, may be in congestive heart failure, and has fluid on his lungs. He was put on prednizone, given lasics. We want to go and see if we need to put him back on lasics also.

As for the plastic bowl feeding. Yes, we do. Is that bad? I mean, I can imagine it could be. Should he eat out of metal bowl.

Our other dog has no problems with allergies. She had an allergic reaction one time that caused her to swell up on different areas of her body. We gave her benedril and did for a couple of days until it cleared up. We still have no idea what caused that.

After seeing him broke out last night (he lives with my fiance) I gave him a benedril and I had some hydrocortizone spray for animals and I sprayed that on his back, his chest, and his neck and brushed it in his fur. I brushed his back for a little while longer because when I would pet his back, he would want me to pet it more like it felt good. If I scratched his back, he got really happy. So I brushed him for a while hoping the hydrocortizine would help. He's never broke out on his back like this before.

6. It was a couple of days after we stopped the cephalaxin when the pimples came back. How do you find out for sure what a dog is allergic too for sure? Is there a test like there is for humans?

huskylove Guest
    Dogs can get acne just like people, and plastic polymers (like your dog bowl) can aggravate it and make them break out. Try using a metal bowl, and definitely think about changing his food.

I am a little concerned about his HW treatment, if he tested such a strong positive and was coughing blood, why they didn't give him the immedicide treatment is beyond me.

switch to stainless steel bowls. and get a new vet.. any vet who keeps charging you money but doesnt find out what is wrong should not be used.

there is a good possibility your dog has airborne allergies to anything in the air, or even the carpets and detergent you use. there are allergy tests that can be done to find out if the dog has allergies. the two tests are ELISA and HESKA test, they use blood samples, and there is also an allergy test that does skin pricks that is super expensive..

They can do an allergy panel, Sadie had to get one, that is how they know her allergens, but this is expensive. Try the stainless steel bowl, changing foods, and talk to the vet first. I think my mom is spending a few hundred a year just on the shots for her. The allergy panel, I believe was like 500 or 600 bucks, and the dermatologist office call starts at $96. This was a last resort for Sadie. It is a suggestion, so you know it exists, if nothing else works. I have been to a number of her visits with and for my mom, so if you have questions feel free to ask, if I don't know, I can find out and let you know within a week (its not always easy for me to call home, lol)

Quote Originally Posted by huskylove View Post
    And do you feed him out of a plastic bowl?
    Good call Husky! I almost ALWAYS forget about the plastic bowl issue.

and could you go look at the bag of dog food and give us the name? I still think this has a lot to do with the food and knowing what you are feeding and the ingredients will help.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pit_Lover_85 View Post
    We aren't treating him for heartworms, we are using the preventative as a treatment. We would be giving him that anyways to prevent the heartworms from getting worse. Our vet said this is a treatment that hasn't been approved, but works. If you think your dog may not be able to make it through the strong treatment, then this is an alternative. We thought about it and we both decided that the preventative would be the best way to go. I mean, we really didn't know the dog's history, he seems very strong, but we weren't sure. I'm glad we chose this because he ended up coughing up a small amount of blood one night and we took him to the pet hospital and he has an enlarged heart, may be in congestive heart failure, and has fluid on his lungs. He was put on prednizone, given lasics. We want to go and see if we need to put him back on lasics also.
    I'm only replying to this because I feel it's important to give proper information on this forum and I don't want people to think that NOT treating for heartworms and just giving preventative is really a good idea. It's NOT a good idea. Giving heartworm prevention prior to heartworm treatment IS a good idea. But advising people that this is an acceptable treatment for a dog with heartworms, especially when you said yourself "Our vet said this is a treatment that hasn't been approved," is not very sound advice. Until it is actually proven to be an effective mothod of treatment, it should not be recommended here on this forum. All people who have a dog diagnosed with heartworms should discuss treatment with their veterinarian. If you don't like what they have to say, get second or third opinions. ;)

No, no, no, no, no...this is not a good course of action. Using a heartworm preventative on a heartworm positive dog is a big no no. If the "preventative" kills the mature heartworms then dead hunks of worm can be transported via the bloodsystem and become lodged in different places most notably the lungs. This may what "fluid on the lungs" actually is and now you've caused both a cardio, respitory, and circulatory problem, and this definately requires a vets care. I don't think that the new lung problems and the "unapproved" treatment of preventatives are unrelated. This is a bad idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Pit_Lover_85 View Post

huskylove Guest
    Screamin', using monthly Interceptor or Heartguard to treat LOW positive HW is actually a new protocol, but only when the test comes up faint, when the HW is still in the microfilia stage.

But this poster is saying the dog was already symptomatic and a high positive, so I can't understand why Immiticide wasn't used immediately.

And this is a new one, even for me, I just had a HW+ dog come into the rescue a week ago, the new way to treat it? Back to back shots of Immiticide in a 72 hour period, and a round of an anticoagulant to move them out fast, crate for a week and that's IT.

Vlad is wheat and gluten intolerant..which took us a while to realise.When he was a pup,he had the most awful diarrhoea,small raised skin bumps and was always biting at his forefeet.We took him along to the vet,who prescribed a different diet,an ointment for his skin and some Kaolin for the bowels.
    Things were a bit better for a while but then the bowels started to play up again and so did the feet nibbling.
    In the end,I got Vlad seen by a Kinesiotherapist (alternative health),who diagnosed thst he did indeed have a food allergy and the ingredients responsible was both Wheat and Gluten.He was put onto a complete dry feedstuff,called 'Skinners HyperAllergenic' Duck & Rice,was put onto a course of 'Graphites' Homoeopathic tablets and some organic 'Calendula' cream for his skin and 'Slippery Elm' powder for the bowels.
    BINGO -two years later,Vlad is doing really well,still on the 'Skinners' as are all my dogs now and needs no extra treatment or supplements.....his stools are perfect and his skin soft as smooth with a healthy shiny coat.
    He has a stainless steel bowl as do most of my animals and any treats,are Hyperallergenic Wheat & Gluten free one's by James Wellbeloved.
    It definately pay's to check out diet,when an allergy is suspected,and it is well known that the Chinese,believe the skin as being our third kidney,hence why,one can often smell either Garlic or $#@!y Food,the morning after,the night before,via the skin's pores.
    It's quite fascinating really and Vlad,is a totally different dog.
    (I should just mention that Vlad's allergy took only 5-6 weeks to sort out but that 2 or so years later,he's still very much improved).
    Last edited by Mary Elms; 02-26-2008 at 01:11 PM.

15. Quote Originally Posted by huskylove View Post

I am a little concerned about his HW treatment, if he tested such a strong positive and was coughing blood, why they didn't give him the immedicide treatment is beyond me.

They didn't give it to him because we opted to not do it. He is strong, but not that strong. With all his health problems we would rather wait 2 or 3 years and do it the slow way. Plus, you have to keep them absolutely still, and that's not possible for him. He's too hyper.

16. We have found the cure!! Is a food allergy! I went to a new vet because the one I was going to was too far to drive and she immediately put him on Science Diet Z/D as a food trial. It will be 3 weeks on the 25th that he has been on it and it is already working! I'm so glad! The food is prescription though. We also put our other dog on it since they eat together and he couldn't have any thing besides this food. They are always wanting more though, they love it!

As for the people saying he should go through the heartworm treatment. I understand your concern but to be honest you haven't examined him or anything. You don't know how well off he is or not. If I felt that not doing the "big" treatment for heartworms was a bad idea, I would not have done it. I love this dog to death and he is like my son. The fluid in his lungs is better, it was just the food allergy. He isn't having anymore coughing unless he has been running around like a crazy dog. He isn't breaking out anymore. No more of anything bad. He is a changed dog since the pimples have finally cleared up, he is also enjoying the food. He has more energy and just seems happier. I've been to a few vets and if they felt that giving him the heartworm medicine was a bad idea, I think one of them would speak up. I have always heard keep them on heartworm medicine. If I didn't have him on it, he would die. As for the heartworm treatment, from what I read, it's not as cut and dry. There can be big complications if you can't keep the dog calm. This dog is NEVER calm. Even when we got him fixed we couldn't keep him still. He was falling off the bed and jumping around, no matter what we did, he would still act crazy. I did my research, trust me. Everyone thinks something different. As for me, I think the heartworm preventative is the way to go for us. He's healthy, he happy, and he's getting better. You would never know he had heartworms, he runs around with our other dog. She is the one that gets tired out, not him. I love the vet I am going to now. The food test was the best idea, something I had been thinking about and now I know. I trust this vet, she seems to know what she is talking about and that's great. I've been to enough vets now to know how to read them. His last vet was nice and sweet but it was too far to drive plus she just wasn't getting him better. Keeping him on cephalaxin is not the answer, it had to be cured and the reason for the breakouts to be found. This vet did it in the first visit. Why the other vets didn't see the signs like she did, I don't know. I just think God that I found the right vet and she figured it out.

Thanks to everyone who helped, I appreciate the input on our problem.

17. Our puppy is comming around...

We have only had our puppy for one week, and we feel like she has really came around! She lived in a kennel out side and had very little communication with anybody outside of that. Now we take her to the dog beach every weekend and on walks 2 to 3 times a day. She has only made a mess once while by herself in the house, so we feel she is doing great.:D
    Tonight after we get off work, it is to the dog beach again! We love her already, and can't wait to show pictures just as soon as we get the chance to post them. If she continues to grow like this she is really going to come around to being a great dog!

put your dog on TOTW. science diet is mid grade food that they sell to you EXTREMELY overpriced. if its a grain allergy (normally is) TOTW will do just fine as its grain free.