Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My dog does not listen

I have a 9 month old pit bull, I got her when she was about 6 weeks old. She will listen to me once in a while but then when we are out in public she doesn't listen. And now it just seems to get worse. For instance I just let her out in my yard to go to the bathroom and I called her in after she was done and she wouldn't come and then every time I went close to her she ran away. My boyfriend says its because I don't let her out enough but I take her out almost everyday and we go to the parks almost every weekend, when its nice out at least. So I know that can't be it. I need ideas on how I can train her to actually listen to me. I'm scared that one day she is go outside and then run into the road or something. I used to be able to get her attention when I would say "treat" but that doesn't seem to work anymore.

I'd suggest that you enroll her in a basic obedience cl$#@!. You guys can learn together that way.

Yeah that's what I think I have to do. But its so weird, she will listen to me inside of my house. I will tell her to sit, stay, come, stop, and no, and she listens.

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    I'd suggest that you enroll her in a basic obedience cl$#@!. You guys can learn together that way.
    Exactly what I was going to say! Also, make sure she gets enough excersise, a tired dog is a happy dog. A pup her age needs to go out several times a day, both yard time and walks.

I try to take her out as much as I can. That's also another thing. when I take her out for walks, she pulls me. I was reading that when you take your dog for a walk, change directions randomly so she knows to follow you, but that doesn't seem to work.

If she knows her commands inside of the house take her next phase of training outside to the backyard where there are some distractions but not full on street level distractions. Get her up to speed on them there (and keep her on a long line so she can't play tag with you while you chase her).

I absolutely promote the use of prong collars as training tools for the walk, they are like puppy power steering and safe when used correctly (as high up on the neck as you can get them). Obedience cl$#@! will teach you both how to understand what it is you are trying to accomplish. And exercise is the best tool for a healthy happy dog.

Also train her right NOW that an open door does not mean run out. Learn how to correct and when to correct bad house manners and she will not only learn to trust you more but you will potentially be saving her life.
    Last edited by magdalena; 03-27-2010 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by magdalena View Post
    If she knows her commands inside of the house take her next phase of training outside to the backyard where there are some distractions but not full on street level distractions. Get her up to speed on them there (and keep her on a long line so she can't play tag with you while you chase her).

I absolutely promote the use of prong collars as training tools for the walk, they are like puppy power steering and safe when used correctly (as high up on the neck as you can get them). Obedience cl$#@! will teach you both how to understand what it is you are trying to accomplish. And exercise is the best tool for a healthy happy dog.

Also train her right NOW that an open door does not mean run out. Learn how to correct and when to correct bad house manners and she will not only learn to trust you more but you will potentially be saving her life.

I've tried that. I have a yard that is a really good size for her. I put her on a leash and she plays perfectly fine. But just when I call her she doesn't listen. When I have her outside my boyfriend and I are always teaching her to sit, stay, and come but she just doesn't wanna hear it. She ignores it and does her own thing. But when I go up to her and she will look at me and listen. But its only when I am close up to her, not when im a few feet away.

I don't know if it could be just her hearing maybe. I don't know.

I think I will just try to cl$#@! and if that doesn't work then I will look into hiring a training to spent a couples hours with us.

Do you correct her when she doesn't listen or train her with treats or a toy? If she likes food or toys bribing them usually does the trick for a come/recall.

I would definitely try training cl$#@!.

How long are your backyard training sessions?

The 'change direction' when walking is a very good method, you have to keep it up though. If it helps you - my husband does this with our Trusty (major puller), and it is a repeat training module, and one he usually starts the walk with ... My theory is that Trusty is so dizzy by the time they actually start moving in one direction that Trusty no longer has the energy to pull :)

I have to try that!

and yes I bribe her with treats and her favorite bone.

I've been doing the back yard sessions since august but then i stopped for a while because of winter and the snow. and I've started them back up last month.

read the thread on how to teach the magic word come
    get into a cl$#@! like the others suggest, this will add the distractions to proof your commands, use the gentle leader or another type of head halter, for better control, make the come cue great not punishing
    watch the trainer make sure what you see is what you like and will actual do with your dog, if harsh corrections and pinning the dog down is not something you could do don;t use that trainer. If they will not allow you to watch, walk away from that trainer, they should not hide anything, and if they say they gaurantee the dog will be trained, run a way. No good trainer ever does that, you're working with an animal who has their own mind, and things get tweaked and adjusted constantly by a good trainer. If they say you will learn and have time to practice and we'll see how you do and adjust as needed, then yes.
    Positive reinforcement is not bribery or permissive, if your doing that it's not +R and you've been given the wrong info
    Good luck

Ugghh... I HATE that stupid ''run away from mum'' game. Pisses me right off! A dog only has ONE time to play that game then they are on a drag line until they ''get'' it. My new girl CoCo is like that. I don't know if her previous owner called her to punish her, but whenever you try to get her to come, or grab her collar, she takes off. We have a massive yard, so when she's in the yard, I use a thirty foot horse lung line as a drag line. It don't hang on to it, I just let it ''drag'', and when I want to call her, I step on the line, then pick it up so once I give the ''come'' command, I can give a little tug and walk backwards so she starts coming forward then she gets big reward with her favorite.... TOYS! LOL. I was doing it with a shorter leash in the house, but now what I do with her is break it down in smaller ''commands''. Before I say ''come'' or go grab her collar, depending on what I'm doing, I tell her to ''sit'' and then ''stay'' and then I work in the ''come''. lol

A question that occured to me... is your yard fenced in?
    Last edited by Zoe; 03-27-2010 at 09:16 PM.

Try a leash. I mean take her out on a leash until the twerp realizes that you mean business and come means come.

Definetely enroll her in a basic OB cl$#@!. You as a handler need instructing on how to train the dog.

Here's CoCo with the lunge line...

And a shorter one for in the house...

I think one of the best ''SAFETY'' words I taught my dogs is ''STOP!" When ever I walk them, and we stop at a corner, or stop for any reason, I say ''STOP!" or if they have the drag line on, I'll just randomly step on it when they are walking and the SECOND they stop, I ''mark'' the behaviour by saying ''STOP!'' and then reward them. I constantly work to ingraine that in their head and it has SO come in handly. Any time there is a situation I want them not to become involved in, I just yell ''STOP!'' and then I can follow through with either grabbing them, telling them to sit, come, whatever. It has become such an automatic response to them, they have pretty well been brainwashed into responding to it.

Images
    Read up on NILIF.
    Nothing in Life is Free

Also, the changing direction thing... You change direction as SOON as they hit the end of their leash or start to pull, they will realize they don't get anywhere by pulling.

I also suggest a prong collar. Do a lot of reading on them as well, an improperly used prong is useless.
    How to fit a Prong Collar

Taking a basic obedience cl$#@! would not hurt.

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

Make sure she really understands the word 'come'. I teach it by standing or sitting near the dog, saying "Come!" and handing them a treat, after doing with several times, you will notice that when you say "Come!" they get excited and look to you for a reward. When you notice THAT, move away from the dog, say "Come!" and treat as soon as she does.

Make sure that 9 times out of ten, you don't grab her and leash her up when she comes to you, or she will just learn that coming to you = end of fun.

She is still a pup, and is going to be a hardhead at times, work hard, it will pay off.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned View Post
    Make sure that 9 times out of ten, you don't grab her and leash her up when she comes to you, or she will just learn that coming to you = end of fun.
    FOR SURE! I totally do that with CoCo. Just randomly call her and reward her then let her go back to playing. Even in the house I'll just randomly grab her collar and then let her go after rewarding her, trying to teach her that coming or being grabbed by the collar doesn't always mean fun times over! lol

yep what poisoned said is exactly what I would suggest, also when training remember KEEP IT FUN, they wont come or do anything for you if your frustrated, you have to keep it fun, and when training like come, like they said make sure you don't make them think the fun stops, what I did with my boy and come is I trained him with tug, I let him play and whatever alone, then got a rope toy and knelt down and called him and played a little tug, then trained stay and walked a little away and told him come and then played tug. Keeping it fun is really the only way the dog will pay you any mind and want to be with you.

refused command = CORRECTION.
    complied command= reward.

you can't correct a dog you can't reach, so keep a leash on her till she KNOWS you mean what you say.

she's reinforcing the fact that she doesn't have to listen to you, because there's no consequences.

Keep her on leash and in your sight at all times inside and out. It will build her bond with you and ingrain in her a feeling that she needs to follow your lead. Get a 20 foot long line asap and use the method Zoe mentioned. A 9 month old puppy is not going to be a perfectly trained dog so relax and take your time. Make it fun and find her most favorite thing in the world to give her every time she comes. Cooked chicken liver pieces works great for my dog. And NEVER EVER off leash outside. I can't emphasize this one enough. You want to extinguish her reward for not coming to you which is well, freedom, lol. Also get your butt to a training cl$#@! yesterday. :)

Thanks guy for everything, I will start doing it once this weather gets better, its all flooded right now so I can't really do much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast