Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Cow-Hocked Puppy

(Sorry to the mod that has to move this if it's in the wrong place)

Here's the story-

I've been in LOVE with pit bulls for a long time. I've finally moved away from my old apartment to a home where I can have a pit bull. For a long time I was searching breeders and wondering how I was going to save $1200 for a pup. My boyfriend sees this and decides to get a puppy for me on the sly. He breaks down and tells me about puppy before puppy is ready to go home - I get to go to breeder and see puppy for myself.

I first saw her at 4weeks and she looked ADORABLE like all pups do..
    Then I saw her at 6weeks and her stifles looked like they might be popping out.
    Now I get pics of her at 7weeks and it is looking more and more to me like she's going to be cow-hocked.

We have a small deposit down on her that could be lost without shedding a tear... The breeder is not the calibur that I was looking for originally-- pup's sire is 7 gen. UKC PR bred with razor's edge and gotti but the dam is unregistered.

I've worked with dogs in rehabilitation field and spend YEARS training horses and pit bulls in various settings. With horses (esp. when show jumping) cow-hocking can be a good thing. But I swear no one has ever talked to me about cow-hocking in dogs.

Does anyone have an opinion?
    Please speak now before I buy this pup on Wednesday.
    I may not get her just because I don't know that I'd want to look at a cow-hocked dog...but eh...I've had cow-hocked horses........

Images
    Why would you spend perfect money on a defective pup? To me that makes no sense. Tell the breeder he can keep his ambully and go find yourself a nice,healthy pup and no doubt at a cheaper price.

3. So you think cow-hocked is defective?

Images
    Most definitely. For anything you would want a dog with normal legs whether it be a pet,show or weight pulling. Just look at some german shepherds and tell me that they aren't defective.

5. Yeah you're right, though I wouldn't use German Sheperds as an example..they've got disc problems before stifle/extra-capular issues
    Here's pics to better describe the situation. She's got the blaze.

Two things are questionable with this "breeder"

Do you want an American Pit Bull Terrier or an American Bully or a possible mix? If you want an Ambully mix (since we don't know exactly what the dam may be, I'm throwing mix out there), then maybe this is the dog for you. If you don't mind a mix or a dog from unknown heritage, you'd be better off going to a rescue, though. However, it sounds like this "breeder" isn't on the up and up, so, I personally would send my money that way. I'd either a) look for a more reputable breeder, or b) find a reputable rescue.

7. I'm not really looking for a mix, but I'm also not going to make any use of a registered dog. Mostly looking for good body typing and the awesome pit bull personality.

I've looked and looked for a breeder of my liking, but aparently my standards are too high and I keep coming up with $1200 puppies! I don't make enough to throw myself out on a $1200 limb, ya kno?

A breeder in Colorado is especially difficult with all the BSL going on.

If you have any recomendations for a breeder, I'd really appreciate it.

Images
    I don't know. It is quite difficult to tell from the photos and a lot of dogs stand with their legs closr together without the feet pointing outwards.
    I don't know about the example of the german shepherd but it is the first one that comes to my mind- An owner dragging his dysplastic,cow-hocked dog around the show ring with the dog walking on his downed pasterns.

If you are looking at Gotti and RE, you are looking at American Bullies, and they tend to run in the $1000+ range.

You might have to look outside your state to find the right dog.

What exactly are you looking for? That can help us narrow things down, and possibly point you in the right direction.

If your looking for proper type and temperament, why not just go to a shelter? If you get an adult, you'll know they have the right type and temperament. Since you're not worried about registration, it seems a shelter is the right place to go for you.

11. Yeah, I would go with a reputable Rescue if papers aren't important.

12. I'm looking for breeders like this...
    http://www.divinityamstaffs.com/

or this...
    http://www.bluevalleypitbulls.com/index.html

and this is the dog I am kinda trying to recreate

---------- Post added at 11:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

I've worked in the shelter training bully breeds for a few years and while I still support rescue dogs, I am DYING to get my hands on a good puppy to train. Just have a clean slate for once and not be trying to correct someone's f-up's with dog aggression and disobedience

Those are amstaffs and ambullies, not APBTs.
    Just thought I'd point that out.
    Also, not all shelter dogs are the products of someone's f-ups. A lot of them already have training, and you know that they'll have a stable temperament and how they react to other dogs. Or wait until spring. There will be PLENTY of puppies for you to choose from then.
    Last edited by LilianaLove; 03-13-2010 at 12:58 PM.

14. I work in the major shelter in Colorado that takes BSL dogs...most are f'ed up. I love em, and try to fix em, but they're still f'ed up. I tried adopting one in August. She was exactly what I wanted for a month and then COMPLETELY changed and started very serious HA and had to be put down.
    And then there's the breed-specific rescue in Colorado which will not adopt to me because I don't own my house- my boyfriend does- and our other dog is a malinois. I honestly don't know how they get any of their dogs adopted out.

15. Dog aggression is a common breed trait, not someone "screwing up." If you don't want dog aggression, then a terrier breed may not be best for you. While not all Bully bred dogs have Dog aggression, it is very common.

16. It is very common, but I've had Am Staffs before and I know that it is not a necessary trait. There is a great deal of work that can be done to prevent/correct it.

I think you guys are right though, I'm going to save up and put my money toward an uber puppy instead of something my boyfriend found.

17. Well, Amstaffs tend to a bit less DA than APBT, though, I have known of Amstaffs that were very DA. It wasn't training. It's genetics, it can be managed, but not trained out.

Looks like you want an Amstaff, and from the kennels, I've looked at (in the past) they seem to run in the $1000.

A nicely bred APBT can be in the $200-500 range, or even free if you get to know the breeder and if they feel they can trust you, but usually that's if it's going to a show home.

Good luck on your search. Definitely good decision steering clear of this particular "breeder".

Yikes... if you want a Bully breed dog and expect that you can train DA out of it you may be in for some big trouble. I hope you do a some more research. I know you worked at a shelter... but I think you need do learn a bit more about the breed before owning one. Saving up will give you time to learn.

Images
    I saw cow hocked apbt pups at the shelter here, chances are the idiot breeder couldnt get any money for deformed dogs. I wouldnt deal with that breeder at all.

Images
    Actually, by getting a puppy, you have no idea what the adult temperament is going to be. It is a crapshoot with any litter, ESPECIALLY a BYB. I got my pup for the reasons you said, so I could raise, train, and socialize him how I wanted. Well, ten months later, I have a dog with a $#@!ty temperament and weak nerves. Nothing to do with training, he's always had a weak mind... Unstable is what I would call it. If I didn't have the time and knowledge to house him safely, he'd be PTS.

I will never get a puppy on purpose again. With an adult from a reputable rescue or breeder, you KNOW the temperament.

And anyway, many GOOD kennels will ship puppies. If you want an American Bully, I'm sure members here can point you in the right direction for a good kennel, same for an Amstaff or APBT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast