Images

Foster care homestudy????

I have applied to have a foster care home study done because there has been some issues in the family and I am trying to get temporary custody of my nephew and they require me to have a homestudy done first. Anyway the big ? I have is if anybody has ever done a homestudy to either adopt a child or to be a foster parent and if so what specifically are they gonna be looking for? I mean I have the obvious, running water, electric, heat,etc., I have a fire extinguisher, a smoke detector, a carbon monoxide detector because I heat with gas, but what I wonder is what else are they going to be looking for? I have a nice house and although I'm not a white glove neat freak I do keep a clean house I just don't want them to come and have to come back repeatedly for things that I could have had in the first place. Anyway if anybody can help I would really appreciate it. Just any suggestions would be nice. Oh by the way it would be done in the state of Ohio.

2. They will probably want to know about any pets in the house. I know in some places, owning Pit Bulls or related breeds can be a problem.

Carla

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagebrush View Post
    They will probably want to know about any pets in the house. I know in some places, owning Pit Bulls or related breeds can be a problem.

Carla
    Yep. They gave my parents a hard time about their GSDs...

They do medical examines to ensure you are healthy enough to care for a child, if your married your spouse has to take the cl$#@! as well. And i know they do full background checks and anything, even something 20 years old could disqualify you, (traffic tickets don't count lol)

Images
    Thanks guys, as far as a med exam or background check I'm fine, I do own APBT's and several mixes and I do know that will be an issue. I have even considered letting them stay at a friends place for a while til it is all sorted out (which could be a while I know, she is fully aware) or also have considered putting them on another piece of property I own down the road a few miles if it is an issue. I may not fully go through with it as I'm not doing it to be a foster mom only incase I need to take custody of my nephew, and CPS has already advised me that if they have to place him somewhere they will require that place to have had a homestudy done. I appreciate your thoughts and advise.

Images
    They also make sure you have enough room for a child. Here boys and girls are not allowed to sleep in the same room after certain ages so sep. rooms may be in order.

7. Quote Originally Posted by sparksm85 View Post
    Thanks guys, as far as a med exam or background check I'm fine, I do own APBT's and several mixes and I do know that will be an issue. I have even considered letting them stay at a friends place for a while til it is all sorted out (which could be a while I know, she is fully aware) or also have considered putting them on another piece of property I own down the road a few miles if it is an issue. I may not fully go through with it as I'm not doing it to be a foster mom only incase I need to take custody of my nephew, and CPS has already advised me that if they have to place him somewhere they will require that place to have had a homestudy done. I appreciate your thoughts and advise.
    Would you please let me know how it turns out? Bc my husband and I are wanting to foster a little girl we know, but we've been having our pit bull Sadie for 8 years. And we really dont know what to do.

Images
    I'm not certain...but I would think if you can show dog crates and baby gates and tell them about your planned system for supervising child and dogs and reassure them before they ask that child and dogs would never be unattended/unsupervised that would help allay any fears. Stressing that this is not because you are concerned about your dogs; but simply because it is the responsible thing to do.

Also letting them meet the dogs $#@!uming they are friendly and well behaved should help.

They may also check the fridge and cabinets to make sure you are reasonably well stocked on food.

Images
    In SC, where I am, they will want vet records to verify shots and care of all animals in your home. I also left booger, my vicious pit bull mix, out when they came to dp my home study and home visit, it gave them the chance to see he is not aggressive and to see how well train he is. They also checked for lead paint ect. in the home, I was approved with out a hitch for adoption and/or foster, the mother backed out less than a week before the adoption was finalized:(. We are going to try adoption again at the beginning of the year, after I finish school.