What age to puppies get their shots

We just took in a 5 month old pitbull and the owner said he was to young to have his shots. We have an older pitbull that we rescued at 1 from a shelter so she had shots. Should I take him to get his shots, By the way it is sunday and I can not get a vet on the phone to ask. But first thing Monday this baby is going to the vet.

Most will start giving shots as young as 5 weeks. Certainly by 8 weeks.

This dog should have had all of it's initial shots by now.

Best of luck to you! Your vet will get you started!

Images
    If you don't know if it has had it's shots just take him to the vet and tell him that and you can start. Worm him aswell.

Images
    I'd say first set should be given at 7-8weeks old.(when mom's immunity starts to dwindle,if you give to early,its less effective due to mom's colostrum antibodies still giving some maternal immunity to the pups.) then again at 9-11weeks(puppy booster set),then last set at 12-14 weeks(final puppy set).Followed 2-4 weeks later by a rabies vaccine.I don't get my rabies with the final set of puppy shots.I feel its better to wait 2 weeks,then give the rabies.Most vets will do the rabies at the last set of puppy shots,and some advise to wait until 5-6 months old for rabies.It just depends on local laws,you and your vets preferances.

5. Quote Originally Posted by verbmac View Post
    We just took in a 5 month old pitbull and the owner said he was to young to have his shots. We have an older pitbull that we rescued at 1 from a shelter so she had shots. Should I take him to get his shots, By the way it is sunday and I can not get a vet on the phone to ask. But first thing Monday this baby is going to the vet.

I did 6-7,9,12,15-16 weeks etc. I gradually started weaning at a little over 3 weeks because the teeth were killing mom...LOL. But I used the Vanguard that overides any immunities that were there from nursing ( or so it claims to do).
    Last edited by KimJay Pits; 03-05-2010 at 02:17 PM.

Images
    No wonder why we still see parvo and such.

VX should be started between 6-8 weeks old and every 3-4 weeks until they have had at least 3 sets or 4 if started at 6 weeks. And according to new research they need to 2 sets after 11 weeks to acquire proper immunity.

Now 5 weeks is a little young and if they are still nursing then basically the vx was in vain. Because it will interfere with ($#@!uming the mother is properly vaccinated) the immunity passed down from the mother.