Images

Lulu is the world's oldest canine

Lulu is the world's oldest canine - Telegraph

Lulu is the world's oldest canine

A Beagle cross named Lulu is the world's oldest dog after reaching the age of 147 - in dog years.

Published: 7:30AM GMT 26 Feb 2010

Lulu, the 21 year old beagle cross, at her local, the Coach and Horses in Longford, Coventry Photo: CATERS

Her owner, Travis Buckly, 60, has credited the dog's longevity to it's diet of freshly cooked fillet steak, veal and sausages.
    She even finishes her meals with cheese and biscuits and maltesers.

Lulu, from Coventry, is now believed to be the world's oldest canine after the previous record-holder died last summer and Britain's most senior dog Otto, 20, was put down in January.
    Mr Buckly said: "If there's a steak and a sausage in the fridge you can guarantee she'll be having steak and sausage for tea. That's her favourite meal.
    "Lulu always has the finest meats in the house. Sometimes it's gammon or on the rare occasion it's been veal. I?m sure that's why she's lived this long - a really strong diet.
    "She loves to wash the meat down with Maltesers or cheese and biscuits. She's spoiled rotten."
    He was given Lulu as a present when she was a puppy by his daughter, Emma, 29, in 1989.
    Mr Buckly and his partner Susan Parybus, 54, have taken Lulu on dozens of holidays around the country giving her a "broader mind" on the world.
    Despite being deaf and blind, Lulu is still fit enough to go on regular walks and plays with other dogs.
    Susan said: "We have pictures of when we first had Lulu back in the 80s which show how old she is.
    "We've also got vet records so we're certain that she's the oldest. Now we're just waiting for it to be confirmed."
    Travis added: "Lulu's a bit deaf and almost totally blind and has been known to walk into the odd wall, but she's still in good shape."
    Dog years are calculated as one human year being equivalent to seven canine years.
    The world's previous oldest dog, Chanel, from New York, died last summer aged 21.
    The title was then inherited by Britain's oldest dog Otto, a Dachshund terrier cross, who had to put down in January aged 20.
    Mr Buckly has now applied to Guinness World Records and is awaiting their response.
    A Guinness World Records spokesman said: "The world's oldest dog category is currently vacant following Otto's death earlier this year.
    "We're looking for a new oldest dog so what we need now is for the owners to make an application.
    "But 21 years is certainly very old. We would have to investigate. The application takes around six weeks to verify."

That's a sweet story! :)

Images
    Very sweet story..

I had a dog live to 16 on ol' roy...

I've had older than that. Who thinks to contact guiness world records?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy View Post
    I've had older than that. Who thinks to contact guiness world records?
    I suppose people who want to... Heck, if I had a 25 year old dog I might, just to show people how old they can get... And also what a responsibility it is to bring a puppy in.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy View Post
    I've had older than that.
    That makes you very lucky.
    I myself have never been that lucky.....my last dog Nakita died at 14.5yr.
    I wish I could've had 21yr. or more with her. :)

HAHA, Beagles must have a longer life span. I have a Beagle named Lucky, She is three legged. She was born that way. I saved her from being put down, and she is about 14 yrs old. She is not brown and black, almost solid white now from getting old. She still gets around really well and the muscles in her only front leg is AMAZING! I can only hope I get that long with this old girl. She has truly been around for most of my life as I am 20.

8. My sister in law had a female Chow that lived to age 22.

My mother's Chihuahua is around 20 yrs old. Her owner died and the family surrendered her to a rescue. She was 8 yrs old then. The rescue kept her 2 yrs and my mother adopted her at age 10. She has had her since 2000. :)

She is around 3lbs. Almost completely blind, but gets around good! She was originally almost solid black, now her face, ears, chest, feet have turned white. She has no teeth, but still eats raw food, just have to cut up the chicken necks pretty fine then mush the other stuff around it. Still will eat softened kibble. She is a little pig! Stays nice and thin though.

Images
    my uncle had a doberman that lived over 30 years,he had been ran over,skinned from being run over,hit by cars,shot,attacked by other dogs and died of old age

My pumpkin lasted 18 years:

nice story.

Images
    Very nice story... I could only hope that mine lived that long. Poisoned is right, it does go to show you what a responsibility they are, and what a commitment you make when you pick one cute little pup up and decide to bring it into your home.

My oldest dog, Sheaba, lived 14 years... I would have loved to have had 20 years with her, and so would my kids. It broke their hearts when she died, she was their "big sister" their whole lives.

What a cute ol' girl :)

Images
    Cute dog, but at work we have a little terrier mix that is nearly 22 so it's probably not as uncommon as people think.