Images

How long should it take for a cold/kennel cough to go away?

The foster puppy that we had here (Faith) had kennel cough and a pretty bad cold and Sarcoptic mange. It has been 2 weeks since she has been on both medications(Ivomec) and antibiotics, her face is still red and her cough is still there. I just spoke with the lady who is fostering her now, her personality has apparently came through. She has been playing find with their 8 year old pit bull Red, and she said she has tons of energy, but I worry about that cough, how long should it take mange and kennel cough/cold to clear up?

Also, the "rescue" lady is doing the same thing she has done with me before, do you want to adopt her or not? Because I have someone that may want her, that whole thing. This lady does not have the means to pay for an adoption fee and I don't blame her, the economy sucks, she has paid a $160 vet bill and I have paid $60. And the puppy is not spayed and all vet care has been paid by us so why should she have to pay anything?

Anywho, just wondering if her cough should have went away by now. She has her appetite back which is great. And Tracy (Faith's foster mom) is going to register here in a bit to add more info :)

Images
    I have seen cases where the kennel cough was so bad that even with antibiotic therapy it took a couple months to go away, but that is not too common and these were usually cases where the dog actually ended up with bronchitis and/or pneumonia from the severe infection. It can commonly take 2-3 weeks though from my experience for the cough to go away itself. I would definitely get her checked out by the vet before finishing the antibiotics to see if they want to continue her on the meds. Good luck and I hope she starts feeling better!
    Last edited by LailaBug; 02-16-2010 at 08:37 PM. Reason: I screwed up lol

The dog should be quarantined until the mange and kennel cough is gone. Period. Both are highly contagious.
    Different dogs react differently to medications based on the severity of their illness as well as the effectivity of their immune system. Many vets will request a recheck within 14 days to $#@!ess the situation, some will change medication plans and others will keep them the same.
    Having her appetite back probably means that she is coughing LESS, which means her throat is less irritated. I would see it as a good sign.

Images
    Go to Tractor Supply and get Bordetella vaccine. Costs about $4.50 and shortens the lenght of time, even if they already have kennel cough, they are sick.
    Every dog or puppy I have had fixed at the spay neuter clinic came down with kennel cough even if they had the vaccine. The difference is the lenght of time they have it.
    Also Cephalexin is one of a few antibiotics that will actually get rid of kennel cough. Amoxicillin won't even touch it and it is a waste of time to even give it.

Images
    Cephalexin and Doxycycline are the two abx we most commonly use at my clinic. If it is really bad we use Cloramphenicol, but not as often...Baytril also helps.

Images
    I said to quarantine the pup, but you can only say so much ya know. I just hope she gets better and does not end up dying. The sad thing is that this rescue lady will just give dogs out that are sick. I am so glad me and my friend are done with all of that. I feel bad for others though, because when their dogs get sick, and possibly die, they have only themselves to blame.