Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Knuckling Over (pics)

Ok, so I finally got a chance to take pics of Drake's legs. I noticed when he first got here, his front legs would shake a lot. They also look like they bend forward. Is this what is called knuckling over? We started Drake on Innova 2 days after we got him and now that he is 100% on it, it's like he is a completely different pup! He has tons more energy and is more alert. But his front legs still shake and seem to almost bend forward :( Is this permanent? Is there anything we can do to stop this from progressing? He has another vet check in 3 weeks. Can this wait? Or is this something I should have him seen for ASAP? Drake will be 10 weeks on Saturday - 2/13
    Thanks!

It's a congenital defect. I suggest having him x-rayed at his next appointment to find out exactly what the problem is and how serious. Did this pup come from a breeder?

Quote Originally Posted by Galadriel View Post
    It's a congenital defect. I suggest having him x-rayed at his next appointment to find out exactly what the problem is and how serious. Did this pup come from a breeder?
    yes :( Hubby really wanted an AmBully, which I was fine with. I wanted to rescue, but he's stubborn and is one that thinks that from a breeder is better and he would feel more 'comfortable' knowing where the dog came from and know exactly how old it was etc - however - he purchased the dog and brought him home with the 'promise' of papers - which I learned from here is a BIG no-no :( No matter what we are going to love this pup. But don't want to sit and wait on this if its very serious.

thats the result of piss poor breeding. get it to a vet

Awwwww........... poor guy. :(

Images
    poor puppy :( take him to the vet. i also agree that this is a result of crappy breeding.

Found this article- it's about danes, but it is very informative.
    http://www.greatdanelady.com/article...kling_over.htm

Maybe poor breeding, but possibly poor nutrition. Sometimes this can be reversed with good food. It can be amazing. By all means, see a vet, but good food and a little time can make a world of difference. It isn't necessarily hopeless.

Actually, it is likely due to too good nutrition. Take him to the vet, but it looks like a classic case of too nutrient rich food causing him to grow too quickly. As much as it might kill you to do so, feeding a crappier food like Iams or Pedigree for a while will likely correct the issue. The bones grow faster than the connective tissue can keep up and knuckling results. Check with your vet, but I bet that a simple change to a less nutrient-rich diet for a while will be all you need to do.

Quote Originally Posted by 2mnydgs View Post
    Maybe poor breeding, but possibly poor nutrition. Sometimes this can be reversed with good food. It can be amazing. By all means, see a vet, but good food and a little time can make a world of difference. It isn't necessarily hopeless.

True......my friend has a dog thats legs done that. He soon grew out of it and he looks great (with no vet involved)

But i would take Drake to the vet just in case its more serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwe View Post
    Actually, it is likely due to too good nutrition. Take him to the vet, but it looks like a classic case of too nutrient rich food causing him to grow too quickly. As much as it might kill you to do so, feeding a crappier food like Iams or Pedigree for a while will likely correct the issue. The bones grow faster than the connective tissue can keep up and knuckling results. Check with your vet, but I bet that a simple change to a less nutrient-rich diet for a while will be all you need to do.
    Yep! Too much protein can cause this. Put your pup on a "Large Breed Puppy food"..

Quote Originally Posted by Hypercane View Post
    Yep! Too much protein can cause this. Put your pup on a "Large Breed Puppy food"..
    or on just a regular adult food

Quote Originally Posted by Hypercane View Post
    He is on Innova Large Breed Puppy already. But I will def give my vet a call to ask what course we should take.

Thanks everyone for your responses :)

Innova lg breed pup should be fine, or you can try switching to adult food. No matter the alleged cause, a vet trip should be made.

Regular Innova is all life stages. Either LBP or that should be fine.

Let us know how the vet visit goes. Don't forget shots/worming at the vet too. It would be a shame to get good/hopeful news on the legs only to have him come down with something nasty if he hasn't gone through his puppy series yet.

This is either a congenital defect or a symptom of malnutrition and improper care. Malnutrition and a lack of vitamin D (which one can get from some good ol' fashioned sunshine) is quite a common cause of this condition. Sometimes just putting the dog on a good/great food and keeping up with vet care can result in much better structure. If it's not an issue like this, then it can very well be congenital.

Either way, this is a sign that the breeder you got your dog from is a very, very pathetic one.

Quote Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
    This is either a congenital defect or a symptom of malnutrition and improper care. Malnutrition and a lack of vitamin D (which one can get from some good ol' fashioned sunshine) is quite a common cause of this condition. Sometimes just putting the dog on a good/great food and keeping up with vet care can result in much better structure. If it's not an issue like this, then it can very well be congenital.
    What makes you so convinced this is a congenital defect, and based on what data?

I have seen this in other bull breeds (and Danes) and am almost positive that this is knuckling, which is not due to malnutrition at all and actually the opposite.

Either way, this is a sign that the breeder you got your dog from is a very, very pathetic one.
    That's a pretty harsh $#@!essment, don't you think? I have seen this happen to puppies from AWESOME breeders/breedings/pedigrees.

Here's a question for everyone in this thread
    , based on what data have you made the decision that the puppy pictured is experiencing these symptoms due to bad breeding or malnutrition? I feel like blaming these things is a knee-jerk response... but humor me. What information have you extracted your conclusions from?
    Last edited by Schwe; 02-12-2010 at 03:20 PM.

For my part, I ran a shelter and saw it 4 or 5 times. I took the dogs to the vet and was told to feed a nice quality food and wait and see what happened. I tracked these pups because I was curious because it looked SO BAD. It usually ended up okay.

Poor nutrition only means it isn't optimal for the dog. It doesn't need to mean cheap food, just food that isn't compatible for the particular dog.

All I can speak of is my experience, and I said, see a vet. Obviously, I have no first hand information on this particular pup. I just don't want the owner to panic.

19. Quote Originally Posted by Schwe View Post
    What makes you so convinced this is a congenital defect, and based on what data?
    Mia didn't say it was absolutely a congenital defects, read her sentence again, "This is either a congenital defect or a symptom of malnutrition and improper care. "

Vet visit

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast