Images

Possible Mountain Lion Attack on Pit Bull

http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/...,6223078.story

Possible Mountain Lion Attack on Pitbull

Rowena Lugtu-Shaddox FOX40 News
    February 11, 2010

FAIRFIELD - "I was more worried about helping the dog."

A simple explanation as to why anyone would armed themselves with - get this - a samurai sword - then face off with a mountain lion. That's exactly what happened this afternoon when 19-year-old Marquel Dawson was walking his 2-year-old pitbull Stunner.

"Then we walked past this bush, he like looks at the bush runs in and then run out the bush and looks back at me, like with this look on his face and his fur sticking up his ears," Dawson said.

Stunner ran back into the bush. Marquel heard some rustling. Next thing you know, his dog was fighting a mountain lion the size of a police dog. That's when Marquel ran to his house and armed himself.

"By the time I got back, it was on top of him, so I just ran up with my sword and gave it one powerful swing," he said.

"Swung it over the top like this... and hit it right on his shoulder," Dawson said, as he demonstrated holding the samurai sword. "I like threw my arms up and yelled. I was in the moment, trying to save my dog."

Stunner was bloodied but okay.

"It's like my favorite dog. I've know him since I was a puppy. So I felt like I would've felt like if it was a person down there getting attacked," he added.

Marquel's parents are grateful their son is alright.

"I'm really glad it didn't turn around on him. That would've really been a mess," Dawson's dad, David Willis said.

Robin Thomas-Willis "He's pretty tough and he's pretty daring. Sometimes a little too daring," added Dawson' mom, Robin Thomas-Willis.

"He's a baseball player. I'm pretty sure he swung. He has a heck of a swing," his dad said.

Copyright 2010, KTXL-TV

Images
    Uh, what happened to the cat? They never said..

Glad they got out okay, bet the dog wasn't expecting a fight like that..

I'm glad they are both OK! Bet that was an interesting start to the morning!

WOW! The dog was OK? I wonder if it really was a mountain lion?
    Good thinking with the sword!!

ha ha i was at the mo mo last night watchin this, it happened the next city over!
    looks like i need to get a pistol!

6. I think it was a raccoon.

Probably a bob cat.

that's awesome....it seems kinda hard to believe from living in ca. most people or animals get hurt pretty badly or killed. But it's definantly possible if you put up a big enough fight. either way good for them. the ones I've seen make police dogs look like house cats....so it coulda been a bobcat.

9. My buddy and I were talking about this same thing as the title says. Would the best game dog in the 50-60 lb range stand a chance against a 130 lb mountain lion?

You know it's odd how the dog went into the bush and came back out I wonder if the dog was on a leash at all? If I hear noise anything in a bush in public the last thing I am going to do is release my dog off leash to inspect it.

Not only that ^ ^ ^ but to let him go back in after showing signs that somethings up and maybe in there. Could've just kept it moving

Quote Originally Posted by davidfitness83 View Post
    You know it's odd how the dog went into the bush and came back out I wonder if the dog was on a leash at all? If I hear noise anything in a bush in public the last thing I am going to do is release my dog off leash to inspect it.
    That's what I was thinking too.