Images

HELP!! Post Spay Peeing Problem

I know this is not really an apbt issue,but its a dog issue. I could use some insight.I have a 4 month old female gsd puppy,who was just spayed(like 3 days ago).She seems to be unable to control her bladder since the spay,and just pees,rather than 'holding' it like she was before.She seems like ''uh-oh'' then pees,like she cannot hold it and it suprises her that she's peeing.She even peed while she was in bed with me,last night.She NEVER would do that before.She would not pee in her sleeping area.She was laying right next to me-then she got up.I reached for her,and found she has just peed.I took her out and she walked around outside and did finish her ''business'' outside-to wich I praised her for.

What is going on?? Is she having a bit of a bladder issue with the spay?? Is this 'normal' after a pediatric spay?? How long does this last?? I am calling the vet monday,can I give her something or do something for her so she's not peeing all thru my house???

Images
    I had a dog do that for a couple of days after being spayed. She would piss but it looked as if she didn't even realize what she was doing until she was wet and then she would move. It eventually stopped and she is now fine. Hopefully someone else who knows more will say something.

found this in a dog health website I like

The reason behind the incontinence in the spayed or neutered dog, is due to the lack of estrogen hormone. In the female dog, estrogen hormone is responsible for providing tone to the bladder sphincter muscle. When spayed, this hormone is no longer being produced in the amount it was prior to the removal of the ovaries Small amounts of estrogen hormone is produced by the adrenal glands (small glands that are located right next to the kidneys). Most of the time, this is enough estrogen to provide bladder sphincter tone.

it wouldn't be lack of hormones 3 days after a spay. I agree with Jim or call and ask the vet.

Images
    Hey Prophecy, I moved your thread to our Health section, you should get more answers here.

I would check with the vet first thing in the morning and see what they say. :)

Is she also on pain management medication right now? It could be the after effect of anesthesia from the surgery and pain relievers that is causing this. My dog leaked a few times recently after she had surgery (not spay) and she was on pain relievers for two weeks. We had to take her outside more frequently to pee while she was on the pain meds.

Spay incontinence isn't uncommon, but doesn't usuallly happen so soon. I agree that if she is on a pain med, that could make it more urgent, if she has antibiotics it could be causing her urinary discomfort (feed her plain yogurt if she is on antibiotics)
    Either way, you need to call the vet and tell them. Its not normal, and they may need to surgically intervene. If it is simple spay incontinence, there is medication they can prescribe.

Rosie does something similar, but she's almost 5yrs old and was spayed at around 4 months.

Her problem is she can't seem to conrol herself after a lot of exercise.
    She'll be sitting on the floor, get up and move, and there will be a little puddle. Just yesterday she stood up and was dripping a little bit.
    It seems to be worse when she's tired, especially in the summer when she's hot and tired.
    She doesn't pee a lot, maybe a tablespoon or so.

It's definately something I'll be asking the vet about next time she goes in for something.

Images
    Any updates Prophecy?

Images
    Meh, She's holding it a little better now,but still peeing in the house.She's holding it all night, and seems a bit more controlled/longer time between peeings.Was every 5-10 mins,now every 30 mins-45 mins.We have been potty running every 1/2 hour to try to lessen the in house peeing,but I am still finding pee/witnessing her go during the day,even with the extra potty runs.Its worse after she wakes up,and/or is she jarrs herself(like trotting to the food dish,or bumping herself/someone bumping her) Does improving her bladder control mean this will eventually clear up?? Or am I dealing with something for the long term??(because I will be out buying puppy pampers,to save the mopping-if this is gonna be for too much longer)

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

oh and she could go 2 hours + before her spay....That's why I am so worried,its a 'drastic' differance from before to after.

I started having this problem with Danka Saturday when she started dripping, she's between 2 and 3 years of age and spayed. The vet found blood in her urine and put her on antibiotics for two weeks but he doesn't think it's a bladder infection. We'll see in two weeks...

Prophecy, did you call and ask the vet for info??
    I would think that would be the first place to start.

I've been reading about this spay incontinence thing on the Internet. It seems pretty common. Makes me nervous about getting Meg spayed. An incontinent dog would be a nightmare!

I've been doing dog rescue for over 15 years and have never had a problem, never. All my own dogs are fixed, no problem there. I know over 20 or more people who are breeders or rescue people and have never heard a complaint. Find a good vet and stick with them...
    Maybe don't use the real cheap vets.

it's quite normal for the dog to do that, and once again, the dog will grow out of it.

Images
    She's getting better,she's holding it at the right amount of time for her age now.I guess she was just not able to hold it as well because of the trauma of her spay surgery.I am glad she can hold it now,and not be peeing everywhere anymore.It was just forgein to me,to have a female spayed/peeing everywhere.I had allways had intact males,and rarely owned females,until recent.