Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Talking My 40 gallon tropical tank-bala shark/pleco

My tropical aprox 40+ gallon set up.(tank was 2nd hand so I am not sure the exact size)Has a 10 inch Bala shark,11 inch pleco,and 2-4 inch striped catfish that hide and a live plant too.

My Big pleco-Bruiser

Heres Kenny-my Bala shark

Since my catfish hide,I don't ever get clear photos of them,but will try to post em up if I can.

please get those fish into a bigger tank. lol

I don't think I've ever seen a bala that big. Nice! And love the name...Kenny the Shark.

4. Very nice

bala sharks can actually get quite huge if you keep them long enough.

a healthy non stunted one can grow to about 2 1/2 to 3 feet!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Laced Wit Game View Post
    bala sharks can actually get quite huge if you keep them long enough.

a healthy non stunted one can grow to about 2 1/2 to 3 feet!
    Thought the avg adolecent-adult size was 16 to 18 inches on balas?? The fish are in a good fit tank size for their current sizes,as I had said I am guess-timating tank size.It may be larger than a forty gallon.No tag on the tank,not a typical long tank and it was 2nd hand.(its allmost as long as my dresser!)They are in no way overcrowded,and if it looks like its getting there-I would definatly upgrade!I intend to get a bigger tank down the road anyways,prolly a 75gal or bigger,IF I can find a 2nd hand one for the right price and find someone to haul it in the house.lol.

Next ''fishy want'' is a 150 gal cichlid tank! I LOVE cichlids.

I need to restock the cichlid tank this spring. We had some beautiful Malawi's that we got when they were about an inch long, and most were up to 3 inches or so. They all died when we moved to FL :(

Images
    I love looking at aquariums.......but I don't think I'd like the up-keep. :o
    We have a pet store in our area "Creature Comforts" that has a great display of fresh and salt water tanks, I love looking at them when I go to get the dog food.

This may sound like a stupid question...but is your tank, fresh or salt water ?

Very nice pics !!

We have a South American cichlid tank at home and I love it.

Great photos!! I have always looked at the bala sharks but I do not have an aquarium that I am able to put them in.

My next aquarium project is a salt water tank.

its the op is freshwater, mine is also.
    i like to go to all the aquariums in my area checking on theyre new shipments. id love to have a saltwater tank but the upkeep is crazy if your not patient enough to set up the salt tank properly (which believe it or not takes around 8-10 weeks!)

freshwater upkeep isnt too tough (25-50% water changes every 2 weeks and va$#@! every month or so depending on your tank and fish size.)

im looking to buy an aquarium 180-300 gal to house my rtc and whatever else i put in with him. after that im going to build him a 1000 gal DIY plywood tank for the garage (hopefully by then ill be renting house!)

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    I love looking at aquariums.......but I don't think I'd like the up-keep. :o
    We have a pet store in our area "Creature Comforts" that has a great display of fresh and salt water tanks, I love looking at them when I go to get the dog food.

This may sound like a stupid question...but is your tank, fresh or salt water ?

Very nice pics !!

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jeoestreich View Post
    We have a South American cichlid tank at home and I love it.

Great photos!! I have always looked at the bala sharks but I do not have an aquarium that I am able to put them in.

My next aquarium project is a salt water tank.
    i love SA cichlids, never did like the africans too much. i like the SA's because they get fairly big and got pretty cool designs.

We have been looking at custom aquariums also. If I only had all the money in the world.....

My SA cichlids are crazy aggressive. I love them though. I would like a tank just full of firemouths. (They are my favorite cichlids.)

There are two standard 40 gallon tanks commonly built and sold...
    the 40 gallon "breeder" is 36"x18"x16"
    the 40 gallon long is 48"x12"x16"
    if your tank does not have these measurements it is not a standard 40 gallon tank.. if you list the measurements of your tank I can tell you what the capacity of the tank is...
    it really does not matter what size it is, it matters that you enjoy it...
    here are a few of mine...

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

im likin the discuss tank obed, do they thrive well with the angels?

I love your discus fish, Obed. Are they quite hardy or are they hard to care for? I have been ohhh and awww over them for awhile but never found anyone with actual experience with them.

Quote Originally Posted by jeoestreich View Post
    We have been looking at custom aquariums also. If I only had all the money in the world.....

check out the DIY custom tanks, you can build anything from a 300 gal to an 800 gal and spent AROUND the same money.

We need answers, Obed! I really like the discuss, too, but don't know anyone with hands on experience. What are good tank mates for them, for instance?

I keep them seperated.. each tank is specific, one type only...
    I have around 100 tanks... long story...
    I am cutting back.. I raised angels and sold them to local stores..
    I am getting rid of all my stuff and not breeding any more...
    gonna retire some day.. too much to do...

The blue ones would look lovely in my 55 gallon. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Obed View Post
    I keep them seperated.. each tank is specific, one type only...
    I have around 100 tanks... long story...
    I am cutting back.. I raised angels and sold them to local stores..
    I am getting rid of all my stuff and not breeding any more...
    gonna retire some day.. too much to do...
    what are your biggest ones youll be selling?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast