Arthritis in dogs - Alternative meds??

I was wondering if anybody Knew of any alternative over the counter meds that work fairly well for dogs with arthritis.

My Freedom is senior dog and when we have bad weather (rain, high humidity, etc...) her bones really ache.

I realized Rimadyl is especially good and would be ideal and I'm sure it is highly recommended but the costs are outragious. Does anybody know of a good Alternative that is preferably over the counter?

Thanks! :)

2. Glucosamine (takes around 4 weeks to take effect)
    Powdered Vitamin C will help protect against further joint deterioration

How much does she weigh?

My Doberman was on Metacam the last year he was a live and I was paying $80 every 2 weeks for the liquid and I just couldn't afford it anymore. So I did some research. You can buy Melaloxicam (generic Metacam) at Walmart for $10 for 3 months supply. Zeus weighed 90lbs started out w/ 1/2 a pill and went up to 1 pill 2x a day at the end, but it worked and saved me a ton of money. He was taking the 7 mg pills.

Also if pain is really bad you can combine with Tramadol (another prescription) that is also inexpensive.

My vet just called the script into the pharmacy for me as needed. Might be something to look into for Freedom.

Of course joint supplements are a good addition too.

I use a glucosamine/MSM supplement. Adding condroitin to that can help as well as fish oil for inflammation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany3483 View Post
    How much does she weigh?

My Doberman was on Metacam the last year he was a live and I was paying $80 every 2 weeks for the liquid and I just couldn't afford it anymore. So I did some research. You can buy Melaloxicam (generic Metacam) at Walmart for $10 for 3 months supply. Zeus weighed 90lbs started out w/ 1/2 a pill and went up to 1 pill 2x a day at the end, but it worked and saved me a ton of money. He was taking the 7 mg pills.

Also if pain is really bad you can combine with Tramadol (another prescription) that is also inexpensive.

My vet just called the script into the pharmacy for me as needed. Might be something to look into for Freedom.

Of course joint supplements are a good addition too.
    Thanks Tiffany! Freedom weighs a hair under 50 lbs. I'll have to check that out. :)

Michele and Zoe Thanks for the information as well! :)

Tramadol is great.

My vet calls it into the Walmart pharmacy for me, where it is only $4.

My Borzoi suffers from arthritis. I use Ramard. He also gets fish oil. I also have Metacam in the medicine cab but will def be looking into Melaloxicam

http://www.ramardinc.com/

There's a lot of medications you can get that is the same thing at the vets, at Walmart. It's only $4, but you'll have to have your vet give you a prescription, which I don't think they can refuse.

Here's a list of Arthritis meds that you can get at Walmart that are used for pets too:

Arthritis & Pain
    Allopurinol 100mg tab
    Allopurinol 300mg tab
    Baclofen 10mg tab
    Colchicine 0.6mg tab
    Cyclobenzaprine 5mg tab
    Cyclobenzaprine 10mg tab
    Dexamethasone 0.5mg tab
    Dexamethasone 0.75mg tab
    Dexamethasone 4mg tab
    Diclofenac DR 75mg tab
    Ibuprofen 100mg/5ml susp*
    Ibuprofen 400mg tab
    Ibuprofen 600mg tab
    Ibuprofen 800mg tab
    Indomethacin 25mg cap*
    Meloxicam 7.5mg tab
    Meloxicam 15mg tab
    Naproxen 375mg tab*
    Naproxen 500mg tab*
    Piroxicam 20mg cap
    Salsalate 500mg tab
    Last edited by Rits; 01-16-2010 at 08:26 PM.

Images
    Gretchen had ACL surgery and was put on Rimadyl after.
    I didn't want to worry about the possible effects on her organs from the use...or go through monthly blood panels.

A Basset Hound Rescue person turned me onto DGP
    I order it from this website because it's cheaper to buy 4 at a time.
    http://www.nexstepnutrition.com/doggoparejoa.html

I also give her K9 Liquid Health Glucosamine
    I buy a couple of the 32oz. bottles.

Gretchen is doing great and showing no signs of pain or distress with these added to her food. ;)

10. Quote Originally Posted by Rits View Post
    There's a lot of medications you can get that is the same thing at the vets, at Walmart. It's only $4, but you'll have to have your vet give you a prescription, which I don't think they can refuse.

Here's a list of Arthritis meds that you can get at Walmart that are used for pets too:

Arthritis & Pain
    Allopurinol 100mg tab
    Allopurinol 300mg tab
    Baclofen 10mg tab
    Colchicine 0.6mg tab
    Cyclobenzaprine 5mg tab
    Cyclobenzaprine 10mg tab
    Dexamethasone 0.5mg tab
    Dexamethasone 0.75mg tab
    Dexamethasone 4mg tab
    Diclofenac DR 75mg tab
    Ibuprofen 100mg/5ml susp*
    Ibuprofen 400mg tab
    Ibuprofen 600mg tab
    Ibuprofen 800mg tab
    Indomethacin 25mg cap*
    Meloxicam 7.5mg tab
    Meloxicam 15mg tab
    Naproxen 375mg tab*
    Naproxen 500mg tab*
    Piroxicam 20mg cap
    Salsalate 500mg tab
    Are you sure about the ibuprofen?The reason im asking is ive read it is very $#@! the dogs stomachs and gives them ulsers within a few weeks of using it.

I have a severely arthritic dog. I give her glucosamine, fish oil, tramadol, and rimadyl every morning. Sometime I have to add amantadine.

They make a generic rimadyl now. My vet recommends 1/2 the normal dosage. Between the savings on the lower dose and switching to the generic, it becomes much more affordable. Might be worth asking. The generic is not a chewable and must be hidden in food.

On this combination, my dog lives a normal life. She isn't just "okay," she can go for three or four mile hikes. Off the meds, she can't walk.