Thread: Kink in tail?

Images

Kink in tail?

The day chev was born, I got a text from the breeder telling me that he had a kink in his tail, that she just noticed, at first I thought "could she have shut it in a door? Could she have stepped on it? I dont think so, Not at a day old.

Well, I took him to the vet, and he said the same thing she did, It probably happened because there was so many pups in the stomach of a smaller sized Pit.

I understand that I could never show him, but what I was wondering, is, could it REALLY be what they are saying, that there was so many pups(9) that he just didnt have any room to grow a straight tail?

(He has a very very small kink at the very tip of his tail as well, the bigger kink bends about 90 degrees)

Could it cause damage later? Could his tail eventually straighten out?

2. I would just dock the tail.... Fairly inexpensive... As far as what the vet said i really dont know.
    Sounds possible though

Sometimes a kink can be caused by what you mentioned, or an accident, but I did know one dog that had a kinked tail and had back issues due to it. The tail is an extention of the spine so it can indicate issues there from what I gather...

Images
    So what your saying, is that the kink in his tail could cause back problems later on down the road. Is there anyway around that, other then getting his tail docked...

5. Quote Originally Posted by hunnbunny360 View Post
    The day chev was born, I got a text from the breeder telling me that he had a kink in his tail, that she just noticed, at first I thought "could she have shut it in a door? Could she have stepped on it? I dont think so, Not at a day old.
    Yep, you can feel them as soon as they are born -- the first thing I do when pups are born is run my fingers down that tail. You can feel any bends then. Many will try to tell you about the crowding or that mom bit them or whatever, but it is a fairly common genetic problem -- in Am Stafs anyway.

Unless the kink is severe and close up to the rump, there is no need to amputate -- that is really overdoing it. Dogs HAVE been shown and won with minor kinks, but when they get really obvious, it's going to be hard to do anything with them in the show ring.

Quote Originally Posted by hunnbunny360 View Post
    Well, I took him to the vet, and he said the same thing she did, It probably happened because there was so many pups in the stomach of a smaller sized Pit.
    No, I've seen litters of 11 with no kinks and litters of 2 with a kink...

It's not going to straighten out -- it will become more and more obvious as he grows. He will still enjoy having his tail -- no need to amputate, it will not cause any damage to him....

Carla

Getting the tail docked would not fix the issue if there is a back problem. I don't think there is anything that could be done IF there was a back issue. MAYBE some sort of surgery??? The dog that I knew was just put on pain meds to keep her comfy, although the vet did say it would be progressive. Again... this doesn't mean your pup will have back issues. It's just one of the possibilities that come with a kinked tail. Could just simpley be a kinked tail and nothing more.

7. Quote Originally Posted by hunnbunny360 View Post

(He has a very very small kink at the very tip of his tail as well, the bigger kink bends about 90 degrees)
    Where is the bigger kink?

Carla

My foster dog has three very obvious kinks in his tail starting right at the rump. I posted about it last week. There are some links here:
    http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?t=50652

Images
    His tail is kinked about an inch and a half from the tip, And he has a very small one thats not visibly noticeable right at the very tip. When he comes in from outside, I will try and get the light to take a picture.

Would x-rays possibly tell me if its a back problem?

10. Quote Originally Posted by hunnbunny360 View Post
    His tail is kinked about an inch and a half from the tip, And he has a very small one thats not visibly noticeable right at the very tip.
    I wouldn't worry about it. I've seen dozens of them in Am Stafs. Never a problem. It's certainly not bred for, but they happen....

Carla

Images
    Heres the pic of his tail, The kink starts by my thumb. And again, you cant see the second kink.

Quote Originally Posted by hunnbunny360 View Post
    Would x-rays possibly tell me if its a back problem?
    This is how they determined that the dog I knew had a back issue.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
    This is how they determined that the dog I knew had a back issue.
    Did the dog show symptoms BEFORE the x-ray was done or was the x-ray done because there was a kink and someone wanted to know if it showed up in the spine too?

You said above that the dog was put on pain meds....so it DID show signs of being in distress? What kind of pain symptoms did it have? At what age did the dog start having significant pain? Where was the kink in the tail? Just curious as I haven't seen pain $#@!ociated with a kink, ever; but then I haven't seen a really severe one close up to the rump...

As kinks go, the one pictured is pretty darn mild-- I have seen much more interesting ones! And none have ever been $#@!ociated with a spine problem, although x-rays were never done because the dogs were totally normal in behavior and ability to do physical activiity. Most of the time, these dogs aren't even bred, because it tends to be passed on and is considered unsightly in the show ring.....

Carla
    Last edited by Sagebrush; 01-14-2010 at 06:28 AM. Reason: removed an extra word

Well, it was a good ten years back, but from what I recall, they did take the dog in to be examined as they thought something was up. I can't recall if they said what physical symptoms she had that would indicate pain, but she was being snarky when touched. Gaud... I can't recall if she had more than one kink, but I think it was kind of in the middle of her tail. I knew quite a few dogs related to her and she was the first I saw with a kinked tail. I didn't know her sire's side though....